Agency

I am a new driver (class 2) I am looking for work, applied for over 30 jobs, haven’t heard anything back. I have just rang up a agency in my local area and they have said " you have no chance of getting a driving job, having only passed 2 weeks ago)
So how am I meant to get experience? Any help,would be appreciated

fctuna:
I am a new driver (class 2) I am looking for work, applied for over 30 jobs, haven’t heard anything back. I have just rang up a agency in my local area and they have said " you have no chance of getting a driving job, having only passed 2 weeks ago)

You do have a chance just maybe need a bit of luck and perseverance, bite the bullet and sign on with some agencies and make yourself available for anything anytime and you’ll get work.

What area are you from ?

bald bloke:

fctuna:

You do have a chance just maybe need a bit of luck and perseverance, bite the bullet and sign on with some agencies and make yourself available for anything anytime and you’ll get work.

What area are you from ?

I am willing to take what ever they give me, the agency I rang said I need minimum of 1 year driving. I am from York

fctuna:

Have you gone to companies with CVs in hand as well as your car boot loaded with working gear then handed the CVs to the person who does the hiring along with having a nice little chat :question: - especially on a monday very early

fctuna:
I am a new driver (class 2) I am looking for work, applied for over 30 jobs, haven’t heard anything back. I have just rang up a agency in my local area…

you’ve got a feel for your current desirability as a permanent employee by applying for over 30 jobs, yet you seem to have taken the word of a mere single agency to assess your desirability as an agency driver - not the most logical approach really if you think about it :slight_smile:

fctuna:

Contact a different agency.

I suggest you try Driver Hire (go in person to their office tomorrow).

I’ll fall off my chair in amazement if that’s the agency you rang, as I was in the same position as you 5 months ago and they have kept me in near constant work as soon as I signed up.

Don’t go in there expecting to drive a Class 2 vehicle straight away though - be flexible !

KTMrider:

fctuna:
I am a new driver (class 2) I am looking for work, applied for over 30 jobs, haven’t heard anything back. I have just rang up a agency in my local area…

you’ve got a feel for your current desirability as a permanent employee by applying for over 30 jobs, yet you seem to have taken the word of a mere single agency to assess your desirability as an agency driver - not the most logical approach really if you think about it :slight_smile:

fctuna:

I’ll fall off my chair in amazement if that’s the agency you rang, as I was in the same position as you 5 months ago and they have kept me in near constant work as soon as I signed up.

Don’t go in there expecting to drive a Class 2 vehicle straight away though - be flexible !

It was not driver hire, but I a man signed up to them, I currently work full time and told them I could only work Thursdays & Fridays

fctuna:

KTMrider:

fctuna:

fctuna:

It was not driver hire, but I a man signed up to them, I currently work full time and told them I could only work Thursdays & Fridays

Maybe that’s the problem why you’re not getting much work as you’re only making yourself available for 2 days,

fctuna:

Sign up with several agencies and you wont have to wait too long until you get offered work, may be 7.5tn may not be great pay, however its a start.
Proudstaff, enterprise, Jark are all agencies not too far from you get registered.

However the fact you can only work 2 days and your new pass combined is what limiting your offers, if your feeling brave you could consider doing what I did.

Be brave and leave your job and dive head first into class 2, your more employable and more likely to be offered work if you always available.

There is also the likes of Bidvest, and Palmer & Harvey who give new pass drivers a chance.

fctuna:
told them I could only work Thursdays & Fridays

Why is that, if you don’t mind me asking :question:

thehig:

fctuna:

Sign up with several agencies and you wont have to wait too long until you get offered work, may be 7.5tn may not be great pay, however its a start.
Proudstaff, enterprise, Jark are all agencies not too far from you get registered.

However the fact you can only work 2 days and your new pass combined is what limiting your offers, if your feeling brave you could consider doing what I did.

Be brave and leave your job and dive head first into class 2, your more employable and more likely to be offered work if you always available.

There is also the likes of Bidvest, and Palmer & Harvey who give new pass drivers a chance.

Leaving my job is my last resort plan. Like op and yourself I have a full time non driving job. Once qualified I aim to try and find a firm to take me on full time.

But if that fails I’m gonna take a chance, quit my job and be available to agency all time. Bit of a last resort though.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I know quite a few people who signed up with agencies, but only did it online thinking that’s all they needed to do. I found the best approach is to go into their offices and fill in the paperwork etc. You limit your chances if you haven’t been in because before they will offer you work (which is usually at short notice) they need you sign various documents. I has sod all for a while after just doing the online thing but within a week or so of going in some offices, I got a call out the blue one morning to get to a client within an hour. Once I started and proved I can do the job, I haven’t been out of work since.

Some agencies will generally start you off on the small stuff like vans and multi drop, if you’re keen to impress don’t turn it down… at your stage, you need to prove yourself not only on the driving, but time keeping, customer service, team player etc. and agencies tend to ask for feedback from companies they farm new people out to.

ROG:

fctuna:

because i am still in full time employment, i leave on 24rd august

andy_s:
I know quite a few people who signed up with agencies, but only did it online thinking that’s all they needed to do. I found the best approach is to go into their offices and fill in the paperwork etc. You limit your chances if you haven’t been in because before they will offer you work (which is usually at short notice) they need you sign various documents. I has sod all for a while after just doing the online thing but within a week or so of going in some offices, I got a call out the blue one morning to get to a client within an hour. Once I started and proved I can do the job, I haven’t been out of work since.

Some agencies will generally start you off on the small stuff like vans and multi drop, if you’re keen to impress don’t turn it down… at your stage, you need to prove yourself not only on the driving, but time keeping, customer service, team player etc. and agencies tend to ask for feedback from companies they farm new people out to.

i am willing to take what ever is thrown at me, anything to get the experience

fctuna:

ROG:

fctuna:

because i am still in full time employment, i leave on 24rd august

If you work 5 days sat to wed then generally you can only do one thu or fri every other week due to weekly rest rules

IronEddie:

thehig:

fctuna:

Leaving my job is my last resort plan. Like op and yourself I have a full time non driving job. Once qualified I aim to try and find a firm to take me on full time.

But if that fails I’m gonna take a chance, quit my job and be available to agency all time. Bit of a last resort though.

You might struggle if your still in your non driving job, however you’ll have a better chance than I did because it’s a busier time of year for class 2 work
I left my job in January the start of a year is very quiet for class 2 work, you might get an opportunity quicker than I did.

Also because of the time of the year, leaving your job for agencies if less of a risk than in January, there more likely to keep you busy and give you enough hours.

thehig:

IronEddie:

thehig:

fctuna:

You might struggle if your still in your non driving job, however you’ll have a better chance than I did because it’s a busier time of year for class 2 work
I left my job in January the start of a year is very quiet for class 2 work, you might get an opportunity quicker than I did.

Also because of the time of the year, leaving your job for agencies if less of a risk than in January, there more likely to keep you busy and give you enough hours.

Thanks for the advice. I’m in full time non driving work and just studying the theory whilst waiting for my licence back currently. Expecting to have my full licence by the end the year or early next.

Then probably give myself six months to find a full time driving job. If after six months I haven’t. Then I’ll quit my job and take the risk of agency work.

Got a wife, kid n mortgage so my instinct isn’t to risk agency in the first case.