looking for work

hello people im a new driver (class 2) an looking for work . i can,t believe the agencies are so slack at the moment but they all say the same. but i would really like something permanent anyway.please if anyone knows of anything around the west yorkshire area, post some info on here. thanks kev.

i cant believe the agencies are so quiet this time of year must be a massive recession on the way good luck with your search

Agency work is also very quiet for me too. Im driving vans at the moment but hoping to do my class 2 by the end of the year. (Driving assement tomorrow, theory test on firday).

The one thing I was relying on was that once I had passed I wouldnt be short of work with a class 2 licence. Looks like this is not the case. :cry:

I passed my Class two back at the begining of July and struggled a lot to get any work at all, this was largely down to my age but even so, there just wasn’t any jobs going. I’ve now got my Class 1 and whilst agency work is a little slack, I’m hoping to get a ‘proper’ job with a company, I haven’t really started to look yet but things do seem to be slowing down in all areas, the company my dad works for will take me on, its just a matter of when, probably not before the new year by the looks of it.

you think thats bad ive got my class 1 and im signed up with 3 agencies and here i am sat on my arse at home…And what makes me laugh is that when i signed up with these agencies i asked are you looking for class 1 drivers and they each replied the same…oh yes were always looking for drivers :unamused:

Reef:
you think thats bad ive got my class 1 and im signed up with 3 agencies and here i am sat on my arse at home…And what makes me laugh is that when i signed up with these agencies i asked are you looking for class 1 drivers and they each replied the same…oh yes were always looking for drivers :unamused:

I can beat that mate, but only just. Its common practice for agencies to be eager to sign new people on and they typically promise the earth in doing so, then ofcourse, you never hear from them…but, every single agency I have contacted after passing Class 2, baring the one I was already with, refused point blank to even register me stating the lack of experience thing along with my age. I dont know if they will now be interested as I have Class 1 but like I said, I want a job with a company instead.

Have you had a tour around your local transport companies? Thats what I’m gonna do soon if the leads for work I’m following up come to nothing, as is looking very likely now, despite being told twice by one particular company that “yes, we definetly have a job for you, you’ll be starting a week tomorrow”, that was said to my face too and it was said TWO weeks ago, so I don’t think that will come to anything.

Hi and welcome to TruckNet UK KEV 600.
Salvesen was advertising for class 2 a week ago
on this number - 01924 895444 also you could try
exel as I have done class 1 jobs for them with no
experience ect.

Good luck with your training and tests Toploadertom

Welcome to trucknet Kev 600 :wink: I hope some of these answers are helpful.

thanx for all the replies folks btw convoy just sent an application to salvesen they told me there was nothing exept a fork lift job but their website said they were looking for class 1 an 2 in wakefield? so dunno whats going on with them. anyway cheers again ill keep looking.

Kev the reason they want you to sign up is so they have plenty of drivers they can phone up if they get desparate. A certain french agency had a sign on their door saying Class one drivers wanted. I went in and asked if they had any work. The answer was no but jobs come in all the time.

Where in west yorkshire r u kev600

im in Huddersfield brit mark

if all Exel sites are like ours, you will have no problem. we have a guy who cant drive to save himself. i started off as a class 2 driver there but as soon as they noticed my C + E, they exploited it even though i hadnt driven an artic in 6 years and refused to take one out without training. the training consisted of 3 odd days out chauffering drivers then out on my own since
incidentally, i have only had one assessment and that was a rigid

if you need experiance try longs of leeds direct they will set you on but go and see them dont phone chris long is the man to see he is a good bloke when you get past the tight fisted bit and if he likes you he will put you through class 1 as well money isnt great but its an excellent start for the experiance.

keith:
why do these agencies say they have the work when they havent ■■? :imp:

they will have work coming in but not enough to keep every driver busy. most of it will go to their longest serving drivers and the scraps will filter through to the rest of you

top tip:
when work does come in, go and work your arse off. the reputation that you build yourself can be the difference between working and not working. the clients will ask for drivers that they like. in some cases, you can be assigned to a certain client ie when they call up, you are first in line.
whether its common practice or not at the clients premises, ask for a brush to clean the back out. chances are that their own drivers dont do it but they will be impressed. it may annoy the company drivers since you are showing them up but at the end of the day, you need to earn and this is a nice little trick :wink:

scanny77:
top tip:
when work does come in, go and work your arse off. the reputation that you build yourself can be the difference between working and not working. the clients will ask for drivers that they like. in some cases, you can be assigned to a certain client ie when they call up, you are first in line.

A sound bit of advice!

hi there,
im looking for work ive had my class 1 since the 11th november and having trouble getting work,im with three agencys and nothing,they told me they have work in the line that i want ,(supermarkets)but nothing.
i live in charlton so ive got asda and sainsburys right by me.
i know that ive only just got my licence but ive been driving class 2 for five years and two and a half years was in recovery,iwas recovering unit and traliers all the time,which is a lot harder than driving them as any recovery driver would tell you.
i find that lifes a [zb] and the laws are wrong they have not long sorted out about car licence and seven and a half ton,as many of you would know.
all we ask for in life is some one gives us a break some time.
whats happened to good hard working hgv drivers,never mind about how long you have had your licence.at the end of the day you can do the job or you cant and whos going to spend 1500 pounds for the sake of it just to have c+e on your licence.
any thoughts on this matter regards ian :cry:

Just a small one. :wink: LT