A1 transport,leeds

keith 2:
Hi Jack,been been in touch with Steve again he thinks the atkie was done up in jack Robbie days,i think it was magiee days,but I could be wrong,wot year did you take it to the first York show as jmr sold out in 1988 I think,them brain cells of yours are better than mine I hope,i will send you his phone number,he is big mates with alan render,keith

Hi Kieth, cant remember the exact date, but it was after 1988, because I had my Transit van which I didn’t get until 1989, my dad died in 2001, and he drove my van to Elvington while I took the Atki. :- Jack.

Jack Graham:

keith 2:
Hi Jack,been been in touch with Steve again he thinks the atkie was done up in jack Robbie days,i think it was magiee days,but I could be wrong,wot year did you take it to the first York show as jmr sold out in 1988 I think,them brain cells of yours are better than mine I hope,i will send you his phone number,he is big mates with alan render,keith

Hi Kieth, cant remember the exact date, but it was after 1988, because I had my Transit van which I didn’t get until 1989, my dad died in 2001, and he drove my van to Elvington while I took the Atki. :- Jack.

Nice one Jack,just be on the phone to steve and his dad peter flatly,he is spending a lot of cash on the old atkie ,will be back on tomorrow

thanks Jack,i am 2nd to you :smiley:

Hi all,back to the a one Atkinson silver knight 1970 mark 2,as you know steve flatly now owns the truck,the truck looks ok from the outside but inside is rotten,its costing him 5 grand to get it sorted.then he is having it repainted ,he tells me the rear lights,front side lights and the front wheel trims are not original and is looking for the parts for it if anyone has these for sale,the lights are pmg make.steve must have a big heart as he is sill a driver.he is all so asking if any one knows who was the driver of it was at a one ,bit before my time it was just a old shunter which I learned to drive in,thanks keith

Hi Keith, Regarding the Atkinson drivers . I think it was on the Glasgow trunk , My dad Jack Ellener shunted on days and the night man was Tubby . I remember my dad forgot to disconnect one of the air lines one day and it broke and damaged the rear of the cab , he got a right bollocking off Jack for that . I hope this helps Steve . When I worked at Archbolds the was a Peter Flatley there , worked as a salesman .

jeffrey ellener:
Hi Keith, Regarding the Atkinson drivers . I think it was on the Glasgow trunk , My dad Jack Ellener shunted on days and the night man was Tubby . I remember my dad forgot to disconnect one of the air lines one day and it broke and damaged the rear of the cab , he got a right bollocking off Jack for that . I hope this helps Steve . When I worked at Archbolds the was a Peter Flatley there , worked as a salesman .

High all. I had the atkinson in the late 1960s,it used to have two orange flashing lights on top of the cab for wide loads. Memory going a bit now but i think it was around 1967 to 1969. Good truck it never let me down. Hope this helps.
Regards Alan Bennett.

Good morning, does anyone have any pictures/info on cliff parrot & sons? Regards Paul :sunglasses:

I worked for John Parrott for a few years running in and out Hepworth and grandage. Roy Coultas was employed in the foundry and he was a good guy .John Parrott used to work on the wagons do the books and anything else that needed sorting and was the best boss you could have, Ronnie who got the title of transport manager only because if anything went wrong it all fell on him Harry Friar used to do the sign writing when he was sober!Believe it or not Harry did the sign writing on Drumonds Mill roof what a job that was still kept him out of the pub!! The wagons were well looked after by John but Ronnie was hopeless, one day he put in a new heater box never thought to test it went a few miles in it it was like driving a mobile sauna what a pratt he was. Hutchinson called him a blithering idiot which just about summed him up.

Hello maxhager, Roy coultous was my father, he was the foundry sales manager but also organized the transport side of things! I remember being down at parrots yard one time as a young boy and sitting in one of the Bedfords messing around. Unfortunately I must have left the lights switched on so come Monday morning the battery was flat :cry: the next time John saw me I got such a bollocking :confused: Ouch! Was there a guy called Barry who used to drive for John? I know he was on four wheelers when I worked for A.ONE! Really nice guy as I remember, cheers Paul.

collycoltas:
Hello maxhager, Roy coultous was my father, he was the foundry sales manager but also organized the transport side of things! I remember being down at parrots yard one time as a young boy and sitting in one of the Bedfords messing around. Unfortunately I must have left the lights switched on so come Monday morning the battery was flat :cry: the next time John saw me I got such a bollocking :confused: Ouch! Was there a guy called Barry who used to drive for John? I know he was on four wheelers when I worked for A.ONE! Really nice guy as I remember, cheers Paul.

Hi all. You may be thinking about Barry Nelson he was with A.ONE at the same time as myself. He was a nice guy and sadly died a few years ago with cancer. Hope this helps.
Regards Alan Bennett.

Last I heard of John Parrott he was operating a small bus company in Scotland, good luck to him!! Hope he has a decent wrecker !!!

Thanks Alan, you’re right it was Barry nelson :smiley: do you know if he worked for parrots or original a.one? I think John & june wrapped up the business in monreith, Scotland quite a few years ago now maxhager but I haven’t seen them for years! Do you mind me asking who you are maxhager? Regards Paul :sunglasses:

collycoltas:
Thanks Alan, you’re right it was Barry nelson :smiley: do you know if he worked for parrots or original a.one? I think John & june wrapped up the business in monreith, Scotland quite a few years ago now maxhager but I haven’t seen them for years! Do you mind me asking who you are maxhager? Regards Paul :sunglasses:

Ref Barry Nelson,i believe he did work for parrots but i don’t know how long he was there.

Regards Alana

Max Hagar was Spikes dad and Spike was a cross Doberman rottweiller who just loved biting people especially Duncan.

Hi Les my father Syd Henry drove the other Atkinson reg AUM 878 i remember both these motors being in the paint shop.It burnt out after the battery under the seat set on fire .Albert Doyle was driving it at the time.

Hi all, just in case anyone remembers today is 30 years since the HOFE went down just outside Zeebruge, where 197 people including drivers lost the lives in this sad event, we as a company were lucky we didn’t have any of our lorries on that trip when it was on it’s way back to Dover just outside the dock, I just want to extend my sympathies to the families of who lost there lives on that sad day, as I said we were lucky but it could have been a bad \day for A One too.

Now then Colly re my name Dirty Derek when I was playing football and when I woke up in bed with my pals mother it was still dirty dirty Derek F

kammac still going,have red n white xxl mans,before that 4x2 fh12s,u see them in heinz at wigan,n walkers warrington backloading,on the dark side now,so dont see much of anything these days :confused: i remember a black driver called freddie who drove for a1 in 80s at american can(nacanco) runcorn,sure he drove a yellow 3800 daf,so may have been a subbie?

I knew the Black American guy on A1. I used to see him down in Barna a lot. Good bloke. He hated Yanks. :laughing:

maxhagar:
Now then Colly re my name Dirty Derek when I was playing football and when I woke up in bed with my pals mother it was still dirty dirty Derek F

Class :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: