A1 transport,leeds

Whitehaul:
I remember Cuddles off of A1, also did a Jack own A1 before they got taken over or was it the other way around but for the life of me i cannot remember the name of the other company they brought for the permits, also anyone remember Bannon & Ward i knew one of there drivers that was for Telford

Hi Whitehaul, Jack was the one who started A1 many years ago, from there he made A1 Transport (Leeds Ltd) grow into one of the biggest private hauliers in the country, he wasnt a bad employer in fact he was one of the best to his drivers, usualy we never wanted for anything but at the same time he gave nothing away, but we were one of the best paid transport firms in the UK, but when he retired and sold up he sold it to the wrong man, and I do know he regreted it right from the start, but it was too late and Magee took everything he could and destroyed everything that Jack had made into a great firm, and I think you know the rest much to every-ones disapointment.
Jack Graham.

I must say I’m disapointed that we dont see many drivers reading this page much these days, have they all got fed up with it and gone onto other things, or are they waiting for something to happen to wake them up again, I was going to ask if any-one is interested in another reunion this years, but since no-one reads it any more am I wasting my time, it’s just a thought.■■?
Jack.

I never was a driver for A one (i was young and full of it and in the early 80s . lol) but I always remembered the A one trucks changing over in Lockerbie and the local drivers ,pony ,raker, wee dennis,Iain? from eaglesfield way.and as you said they were well looked after,clean ,.
woulsd i be right in saying it was glass bottles that they usualy hauled?.
jimmy

JIMBO47:
I never was a driver for A one (i was young and full of it and in the early 80s . lol) but I always remembered the A one trucks changing over in Lockerbie and the local drivers ,pony ,raker, wee dennis,Iain? from eaglesfield way.and as you said they were well looked after,clean ,.
woulsd i be right in saying it was glass bottles that they usualy hauled?.
jimmy

Yes your so right it was mostly bottles sometimes glass and sometimes plastic, it’s nice to see that there’s some-one who remembers A1 at Lockerbie, it was the night shift drivers who usualy changed over there, I cant remember all the drivers on nights because I was on the international side of A1, but we offten took trailors loaded by the Scottish drivers across the water, they were usualy loaded from ICI with chemicals for Hungary, but mostly we loaded our own then went straight across with them, you sound like some-one who was using a CB looking at some of the names but I must say I dont recognise them.
Best regards :-Jack.

pony & raker mason,(brothers)…dennis saville,iain /… aye they were on for A one for yrs sure there were a couple more but memories not as good as it was ,that an the fact i left tae come to Canada…Lockerbie boy on tour :laughing: lol.
Was there not a tramper driver that parked up at eaglesfield (south o lockerbie) at wkends as well…100% positive it was a volvo f7 and it was parked down by the roads depot.
jimmy

JIMBO47:
pony & raker mason,(brothers)…dennis saville,iain /… aye they were on for A one for yrs sure there were a couple more but memories not as good as it was ,that an the fact i left tae come to Canada…Lockerbie boy on tour :laughing: lol.
Was there not a tramper driver that parked up at eaglesfield (south o lockerbie) at wkends as well…100% positive it was a volvo f7 and it was parked down by the roads depot.
jimmy

Hi Jimmy,i new them mason brothers well,always carrying on together was nearly come to fisty cuffs one night :open_mouth: but both had a heart of gold,i was part of the breakdown lads that came out to them and the other lads you talk about,but at midnight and they ring up you never new wot you was coming out to do,could never understand the lockerbie twan,glad you are writing this you might be the same ha ha :laughing: keith :wink:

aye they have a time understanding what i say over here :laughing: ,lol proper brother fights …
never could figure out what happened to such a well thought o firm…reading on here i understand now…
jimmy.

JIMBO47:
aye they have a time understanding what i say over here :laughing: ,lol proper brother fights …
never could figure out what happened to such a well thought o firm…reading on here i understand now…
jimmy.

As Jack says lot of sad times but lots of good ones too and would not have changed them before 88 when magee took over and brought the firm to its knees :cry: the money earners was the drivers who worked day and night,the garage staff try to save on maintenance bills,end of the day when them wheels do not turn ,no money you need the drivers who keep all of us in a job which a one was bless with a lot dedicated ones,keith

Heres a good one for you past drivers and staff from A1 does anybody remember Andrea King was the recepionist in about 1978 to 1980 she was promoted and maureen replaced her didnt like new job so left and went to britvic,a shy 18 year old to put up with you lot :question:

atlas man:
Heres a good one for you past drivers and staff from A1 does anybody remember Andrea King was the recepionist in about 1978 to 1980 she was promoted and maureen replaced her didnt like new job so left and went to britvic,a shy 18 year old to put up with you lot :question:

Hi Atlas man,i started in April 77 in the workshop,Andrea must be the same age as me but i can not remember her ,was not allowed up in the offices then at that age :cry: i only remember Maureen, is she your wife,thank Keith

keith 2:

atlas man:

Hi Atlas man,i started in April 77 in the workshop,Andrea must be the same age as me but i can not remember her ,was not allowed up in the offices then at that age :cry: i only remember Maureen, is she your wife,thank Keith

Sorry I dont remember her, I started there in 1974/5 when they bought Chapmans out, but Maureen was the only receptionist I remember, but then when your only in the yard once in a couple of weeks there’s a lot you miss. :- Jack :confused:

Hi thanks for responding they replaced andrea with maureen and she was put in the offices upstairs worked with a lad called ralph he was the lad with only one arm but she didnt like promotion so left but thanks anyway and yes andrea is my wife

Jack Graham:

keith 2:

atlas man:

Sorry I dont remember her, I started there in 1974/5 when they bought Chapmans out, but Maureen was the only receptionist I remember, but then when your only in the yard once in a couple of weeks there’s a lot you miss. :- Jack :confused:

atlas man:
Hi thanks for responding they replaced andrea with maureen and she was put in the offices upstairs worked with a lad called ralph he was the lad with only one arm but she didnt like promotion so left but thanks anyway and yes andrea is my wife

Jack Graham:

keith 2:

atlas man:

Thanks Atlas man, my apologies to your wife, that explaines it if she was working upstairs I hope it didnt affect her working with so many drivers, some could be a but abrupt at times but they were a good bunch realy, the reason I wont have seen her was because I spent more time across the water than I did at home, and only came home about every 10 days with one day at home and away again, but please give her my regards and wish her well. :-Jack Graham

Thanks for those kind remarks, did you know malcom walker who also worked there late 80s early 90s he spent a lot of time away as well

Jack Graham:

atlas man:

Jack Graham:

keith 2:

atlas man:

Thanks Atlas man, my apologies to your wife, that explaines it if she was working upstairs I hope it didnt affect her working with so many drivers, some could be a but abrupt at times but they were a good bunch realy, the reason I wont have seen her was because I spent more time across the water than I did at home, and only came home about every 10 days with one day at home and away again, but please give her my regards and wish her well. :-Jack Graham

Sorry Atlasman, but I dont remember that name either, I’m better at faces these days than names it’s an age thing that get’s some of us eventualy, may-be if we have another reunion this year you could come with your wife and join us, we’ve had a reunion for the past 3 years just to keep up with what every-one is doing, and remeber old times, may-be your wife could give us a kick up the backside so we could remember one-another again, Maureen has come for two of them and if she comes again she could remember her. Best regards :-Jack.

Jack Graham:

atlas man:

Jack Graham:

keith 2:

atlas man:

Hi ,i knew the one arm lad called Ralph,me and my uncle Brian moved him out of the old leek street flats in hunslet leeds when they was ready to be pulled down,all did not go to plan when the lift got stuck and brain was in it and full to the brim,3 hours later when he got out,by was he in a bad mood we had missed the pub as they shut at 3pm in them days,think he reverted to a bottel of whisky behind his seat and told me to drive,thanks keith

keith 2:

Jack Graham:

atlas man:

Jack Graham:

keith 2:

atlas man:

Hi ,i knew the one arm lad called Ralph,me and my uncle Brian moved him out of the old leek street flats in hunslet leeds when they was ready to be pulled down,all did not go to plan when the lift got stuck and brain was in it and full to the brim,3 hours later when he got out,by was he in a bad mood we had missed the pub as they shut at 3pm in them days,think he reverted to a bottel of whisky behind his seat and told me to drive,thanks keith

there is a photo of Ralph on page 9 on this thread

is this the A 1 Transport your talking of?

the_boss2013:
is this the A 1 Transport your talking of?
sorry unable to open

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … vYBKDvPOaM