A.W. Jenkinson,

Thejpmshow:
The no specified start time is messing with my head and it feels like they are trying to catch me out…

Why is this a problem? We work the same at our place, the planner gives you the work and you’re left to get on with it choosing your own start and finish time. Personally, I bloody love it, although I think your place works on booking times at some places where as we are just a case of get there when you can.

Are you on a walking floor/chipliner? Never done chipliners, but took me a couple of months to get my head fully around the floor and how the job works (I don’t work for Jenko’s, but for a firm doing the same sort of stuff) now I absolutely love it. Admittedly our boss does spec the gear up a bit better than your’s as all sheets are automatic and most trailers have a remote retracting bulkhead, so that save a fair bit of time and effort.

This type of work is where you need to give it a bit of time for it all to come together before you make the decision if its for you or not, its nothing like RDC work. For me it’s the easiest job I’ve done in 25 years of driving, but you will get dirty some times and some of the jobs are not the most pleasant to do in terms of smell or the sites you have to go onto.

Thejpmshow:
Started last week

Training Tuesday / Wednesday

Wednesday afternoon about 330, ‘your first loads in Bristol - they finish loading at 430 so if you get going you’ll get there ok’

Bearing in mind I had not loaded anything into the wagon (that I’d just been given) that we’d just been trained on using the sheet etc

My words were

‘[zb] that! I’ll go there in the morning’

So I did - and of all times to pack up, my sat nav picked its moment…

Thursday consisted of stopping in a few places for a spare cable, couldn’t find one. This delayed me getting to the tip (Haverfordwest), so delayed me getting to Llanelli for load 2. I missed the allowed time of 3pm.

I rang the planner, he said that’s a shame that’ll probably result in you staying out til Saturday morning… Stayed there til the morning, loaded and on my way by 745. Got to
Maldon, Essex at 130pm.

Next load, Suez from Ruislip back to Chippenham yard.

I got back on a 10 hour with 18 minutes to spare…

If it’s like this long term my words will be once again, ‘[zb] that’

Monday will be dropping this load off to Avonmouth Suez, then down to Monaghan Mushrooms for a load of compost to a farm near Aylesbury

The no specified start time is messing with my head and it feels like they are trying to catch me out…

Not being funny mate, do you really ÑEED a sat nav to find your way from Chippenham to Bristol?..and even to Haverfordwest.
If you couldn’t find your own way to the drop, I’m sure your planner would have put you right on it, get loaded and THEN look for your new cable at your leisure…job.sorted. job completed in time.
That,.and YOU deciding when YOU start is called using your initiative :bulb: :bulb: , surely to Christ that is much better than being told what to do and when to do it and when to wipe your arse as many firms do it.

Just take stuff in your stride, chill out and the job will come together.

Sounds like it’s lorry driving the way it used to be, “here’s what has to be done, get on and do it, and give us a bell when it’s done”. The new breed don’t seem to like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOG47:
Sounds like it’s lorry driving the way it used to be, “here’s what has to be done, get on and do it, and give us a bell when it’s done”. The new breed don’t seem to like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. :neutral_face:

Henrys cat:

Thejpmshow:

Why is this a problem? We work the same at our place, the planner gives you the work and you’re left to get on with it choosing your own start and finish time. Personally, I bloody love it, .

Its what I love about my job. Just give me the correct address and I will get the trailer collected/delivered when they expect it. I get to choose my ferries and times so can do ferry mode on a Friday night crossing to get home earlier or think I would rather get a proper sleep in and catch the morning one.

don’t see what the big deal is.
I used to get a text at 5pm ish telling me what trailer number to pick up and a delivery address for the next day.
Get a text about 10am ish to tell me where to pick up a backload and what port to drop it off.
Think I phoned the planner maybe half dozen times in 18 months.
he use to like me cause I wasn’t on the phone every hour nipping his head about crap.
I like it aswell cause I don’t like getting pestered or my head nipped aboit crap either.
Same as the start times. I prefer getting up early mornings and getting away as soon as possible.
I use to get up really early on a Friday and try smash it out quick to get home.
One day he says he never seen anyone getting round the west London multi and been finished so early on a Friday. It’s pretty straight forward if you get out your bed get loaded and your waiting outside the first drop at 6.30 for it opening at 7.

robroy:
So obviously they’ll be telling you what your truck has earned every week so that you can work out your 20%, …to prevent you from thinking they’re just saying that, so you’ll go that little bit harder ? :neutral_face:

Haha! Exactly my thought. There’s a new one born every day :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Can’t believe in the year 2021 drivers still fall for this [zb].

robroy:
Not being funny mate, do you really ÑEED a sat nav to find your way from Chippenham to Bristol?..and even to Haverfordwest.
If you couldn’t find your own way to the drop, I’m sure your planner would have put you right on it, get loaded and THEN look for your new cable at your leisure…job.sorted. job completed in time.
That,.and YOU deciding when YOU start is called using your initiative :bulb: :bulb: , surely to Christ that is much better than being told what to do and when to do it and when to wipe your arse as many firms do it.

Just take stuff in your stride, chill out and the job will come together.

Too many satnav thick [zb]s. The job grinds to a halt if they don’t have their box of tricks telling them which way to turn the wheel. Put a proper map in front of them and get them to show you how to get from A to B and you’ll be met with a blank look. Of course it never occurs to any of these satnav thick [zb]s to use googlemaps on their phone. I’ve never had a satnav in nearly 40 years of driving. Can find my way between any towns and only need to spend a minute on googlemaps to zoom in to the actual delivery/collection point and check the streetview of the local roads for weight limits/bridges.

I passed a DPD on the M1 just a few hours ago and he had THREE satnavs stuck to his windscreen, all on daytime setting of course. Driver looked like he was ■■■■■■■■ himself, weaving all the road, touching the brakes every 5 seconds. :unamused:

Fair enough

The work is easy enough, loads of rubbish and equally bad smelling stuff - no thanks…

But I’ve realised definitely I want to be in my own bed at the end of the day, tramping is not for me, as for the sat nav - yeah I managed without it, but I’m prone to panic sadly and this messed my head up. It was the future drops that I was thinking of - I do have a map as well. But it’s peace of mind for me.

Pending a new job on Monday. I’m finished on Friday.

This beggars the question why go for it in the first place ?
Secondly you’ve hardly had enough time to settle in and see the job for what it is ,I would suggest the manner AWJ chucked you The keys and expected you to get on with it they didn’t expect you to last !!!
This is a frustrating outcome for both parties.

Thejpmshow:
Fair enough

The work is easy enough, loads of rubbish and equally bad smelling stuff - no thanks…

But I’ve realised definitely I want to be in my own bed at the end of the day, tramping is not for me, as for the sat nav - yeah I managed without it, but I’m prone to panic sadly and this messed my head up. It was the future drops that I was thinking of - I do have a map as well. But it’s peace of mind for me.

It depends how you define tramping though.
If you go at it like a bull at a gate like your arse is on fire,(as I believe is the Jenkinson way generally ) I agree, it wouldn’t be for ME either.
It’s as good or as bad as YOU make it for yourself mate, I don’t think you gave the job (or tramping) a fair try tbh, but you know your own mind.

Try and avoid the panics in the future, chill put a bit, ''It gets there when it gets there ‘’…It makes for a far easier job/career and longer life… :bulb:

robroy:

Thejpmshow:
Fair enough

If you go at it like a bull at a gate like your arse is on fire,(as I believe is the Jenkinson way generally ) I agree, it wouldn’t be for ME either.
It’s as good or as bad as YOU make it for yourself mate, I don’t think you gave the job (or tramping) a fair try tbh, but you know your own mind.

Try and avoid the panics in the future, chill put a bit, ''It gets there when it gets there ‘’…It makes for a far easier job/career and longer life… :bulb:

RoB I’m in that frame of mind today as got 2 runs from Walkers Leicester to Asda Didcot , but I was on a bay at walkers for nearly 2 hours so didn’t get ti Asda till 9:30 booking was 8 am
Now sat on an Asda bay waiting to be tipped as walkers is a back door tip
Am I worrying , am I F [emoji23][emoji23]kettle on , feet up and tea in hand

New pastures

blue estate:

robroy:

Thejpmshow:
Fair enough

RoB I’m in that frame of mind today as got 2 runs from Walkers Leicester to Asda Didcot , but I was on a bay at walkers for nearly 2 hours so didn’t get ti Asda till 9:30 booking was 8 am
Now sat on an Asda bay waiting to be tipped as walkers is a back door tip
Am I worrying , am I F [emoji23][emoji23]kettle on , feet up and tea in hand

New pastures

Yep, I’m the same
The way I see it is it ain’t your job to worry if you get delayed, it’s the office …a good planner will react and adapt, it’s their job to start fretting not yours,. but too many drivers are too thick and can’t see that, and exist in their stress laden miserable lives in their endurance test jobs.

As for tramping, I have never looked on nights out as a hardship or a disadvantage,.I’d sooner park up and relax than rush around the yard …do the famous ‘debriefing’ ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: (wtf is that all about anyway) rush home, rush my tea, and go to bed to get up soon after to start the whole ■■■■ rat race again.
Fair enough if you were doing reasonable 8 to 10 hours like they do in proper jobs, but most of the ■■■■ s want 15 hour days out of you. :smiling_imp:

Yep that’s true enough

That said about tear arsing around lol - in Coventry sat with my feet up waiting my planner to call me back. Bristol to Coventry with waste mattresses and they are refusing it. Oh well… :smiley:

robroy:

Thejpmshow:
Fair enough

Not been expected to go like hell yet. Those that do are chasing the mythical 20%! I prefer to potter along at 52/53mph and improve my fuel bonus. At least with that we have a scale on how it pays. My 1st week I made £85 in fuel bonus. No pressure to go any harder than you want to.

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

rgt1973:
My 1st week I made £85 in fuel bonus.

That’s a…

Tidy sum for a small amount of effort.

Good fer you.

yourhavingalarf:

rgt1973:

That’s a…

Good fer you.

I was thinking that too. That’s the kind of bonus scheme I could get behind.

the maoster:

yourhavingalarf:

rgt1973:

That’s a…

Good fer you.

I was thinking that too. That’s the kind of bonus scheme I could get behind.

Base target is 6.75mpg! That give you £10. At 7.75mpg it’s £44.65. So far I’ve averaged around 9.5mpg and so far this week it’s 10.2, so easy to make some money with and more predictable than the load bonus.

That fair enough ^^^ I’ve never worked anywhere that offered a fuel bonus, so I’ve no idea how fair/unfair they are. My big worry would be that certain drivers would end up on the stop start M25 whereas the blue eyes would maybe get the M5 down to Exeter runs. If it works for you though then fair play.

the maoster:
That fair enough ^^^ I’ve never worked anywhere that offered a fuel bonus, so I’ve no idea how fair/unfair they are. My big worry would be that certain drivers would end up on the stop start M25 whereas the blue eyes would maybe get the M5 down to Exeter runs. If it works for you though then fair play.

I believe that does happen. I’ve managed that running 40-44 t on a mix of distance, London and even a run up through Wales.