A step too far for me - "I need your keys, drive"

Honked:
I think I posted this one before, but I used to work for a waste paper company and we collected out of Kirkham Prison.
The ■■■■ on the gate went through all the questions, I had to provide photo ID too as well as having all my belongings checked.

When he got to the phone question, I said it was a fixed phone and I couldn’t turn it off. He was adamant it would turn off or come out so he stomped me back to the cab. He looked every where and asked where is it then? I pointed to the phone buttons on the steering wheel and said you might need some help getting that out.

I like my job sometimes :smiley:

It’s actually a criminal offence to take a mobile phone into a prison. That ‘■■■■’ was trying to help you.

Captain Caveman 76:
It’s actually a criminal offence to take a mobile phone into a prison. That ‘■■■■’ was trying to help you.

Aye, like the inmates didn’t have their own anyway.

Box ticked for him, hassle for me.

Mystery Action:
From a H&S point of view if you are between the trailer and the dock closing the doors you would be safer with the cab locked and the keys in your pocket rather than some unknown holding on to them.

Thing is they’d complain if you had keys and someone working there walked between the trailer and bay in case something happens, yet it’s ok for driver to be there if the ‘■■■■■■’ has the keys!

Pointless crap as the so called ■■■■■■ knows exactly where keys are and he’s stood watching you as well.

As for sites taking phone off, I went to a chemical site in Teesside where they went overtop when I questioned them wanting phone so thought ok, gave them it. Went into some poxy box by said jobsworth who gave me a token.

Anyways got phone back with a broken screen so had a right laugh going through the complaints palaver! Kicked up a fuss and half, formal request for complaints etc manager then his manager.

Was fun, eventually got agreement that the screen would be replaced at their expense.

Got a new genuine iPhone screen - maybe they should have checked it was broken in first place [emoji6][emoji6]

I was only going into yard maybe 200yds. Onto marked area then turning around to come out! Nowhere near any of the main building or chemicals at all.

Thankfully my company got a request not to send me again - double result!

Whoever makes up these H&S bollox really don’t understand what risk assessment actually is it how to do it properly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last job before I retired we were required to hand in phones - personal and company’s - and sat navs before being allowed entry!

(Mind you, we only delivered to prisons!)

Steve

Ste46:
My last job before I retired we were required to hand in phones - personal and company’s - and sat navs before being allowed entry!

(Mind you, we only delivered to prisons!)

Steve

Which also probably included handing the keys to a guard whilst you off-loaded? They’re doing their job, you’re doing yours, let them do theirs and they let you do yours and you can have a laugh and a joke whilst doing so.

Honked:
edited…

“You haven’t got a phone?”

• Nope

“I’m going to have to do a random search”

-What are you looking for?

“A phone”…

That security guard failed day one of “random” search college :laughing:

The-Snowman:
On a more serious note however, as I understand it having a set of car keys on you when you are drunk is classed as drunk in charge so if you give your truck keys to the ■■■■■■, if he doesnt have a CE license is he technically breaking the law?'"

Im not sticking up for any of this guff. But you know, you hand keys into a spotty 16 year old at rdcs when on a bay. You’re on private land too? Does that change anything? Not sure. Does a spotty erk taking keys wholey make them responsible for a vehicle in eyes of the law? Doubt it. It’s probably got words like “intent” and alsorts of riveting things in there.

You watch. Some legal hobbyist from the usual suspects will pop along now and write me an enthusiastic 5 page essay, as if I actually give a ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pierrot 14:

kcrussell25:
Sounds like it might be an abattoir to me…

Why, are they scared that escapee animals might jump in and get away ■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

“Alleged” animal welfare issues. Always make a good Facebook video

harrawaffa:

kcrussell25:
Sounds like it might be an abattoir to me…

Nah you don’t get any of that nonsense in abattoirs. I’ve never even been asked to put a hiviz on.

I did one a couple of times and it seemed all they were worried about was the phone. I was allowed to keep it but only in the cab

It’s a fantastic game getting one over on the over zealous doormen. It brightens everyone’s day [emoji23]

A note about handing keys over and the law…if you tried to bring a case against someone under the conditions outlined in this thread it’d be thrown out. Basically, you’re handing keys over to someone who you know has no intention of driving the truck away. It’s a safety precaution even if it’s an overbearing one.

Customers are very transparent. They show and tell you what they expect. Customers work on the assumption that you’ve accepted the situation if you comply and do as they say. This is re-enforced if you keep returning regardless of the puffing and blowing.

Even if customers read this forum it’s doubtful they’d alter their policies. They leave that for you to do when you say enough is enough and stop showing up.

David H:
A note about handing keys over and the law…if you tried to bring a case against someone under the conditions outlined in this thread it’d be thrown out. Basically, you’re handing keys over to someone who you know has no intention of driving the truck away. It’s a safety precaution even if it’s an overbearing one.

Customers are very transparent. They show and tell you what they expect. Customers work on the assumption that you’ve accepted the situation if you comply and do as they say. This is re-enforced if you keep returning regardless of the puffing and blowing.

Even if customers read this forum it’s doubtful they’d alter their policies. They leave that for you to do when you say enough is enough and stop showing up.

I doubt that they would care. They would just ring the boss and say send another driver. If they don’t want to another company will

Another site of this company tried this with one of our night drivers a few months ago, he gave them the same response as the OP and they banned him from site and informed our company of his non compliance with their site procedures.

Next morning I was due into that same site for my first job so the gaffer sent the driver trainer out with me to see what the craic was first hand. Much to the sites embarrassment, the yard marshall that day allowed me to exit my cab & open the trailer doors without taking the keys and same again with another yard marshall when I pulled off a bay to leave site. The gaffer reported this back to said site along with his thoughts & that very evening the driver who got banned had had his ban overturned and to my knowledge none of our drivers have been asked to hand over keys in these circumstances on this site since.

ezydriver, I believe we work for the same firm.

kcrussell25:

David H:

I doubt that they would care. They would just ring the boss and say send another driver. If they don’t want to another company will

Yes spot on. I agree theres that too, but you get my jist.

Beetlejuice:

Honked:
Aye it gets me boiling my pee every time I go near a security / booking in office.

I now refuse most requests (in the hope of getting barred) and last week went through the usual …
Hand over your lighters - not got one (I hadn’t)
Hand over your e-cig - not got one (I had)
Hand over your phone - not got one (I had) and this one got him puzzled. ‘You haven’t got a phone?’ he says.
‘Nope’
‘How do you get in touch with your company then?’
‘I don’t, they gave me a delivery and I’m here with it, managed it all on my own too.’
OK, I’m going to have to do a random search, are youu OK with that?
Yup. What are you looking for?
A phone he says.

Not a lighter that I can use to set a fire, not an ecig that I can use to … well vape
but a phone. He didn’t find it but his face was a picture as I was driving back out and I putting it back on the screen mount.

Hopefully they won’t let me in next time.

Where is this ?I want to real off a rant to these pricks
Cheers

^^^
The same if i ever had to deal with this bull ■■■■, just glad i dont have to. All thats needed is a bit of common sense/savvy, UK H&S seems to now be well ott…

David H:
Basically, you’re handing keys over to someone who you know has no intention of driving the truck away.

Am I? How do I know that? I can assume it, but never truly know it. Perhaps the stranger I’ve just handed my keys over to chooses that moment to flip out. Perhaps he sees it as the jihadist opportunity he’s been waiting for. I know nothing about them. That’s my point. 1 in a million chance, I know, but there’s 0 in a million with them in my pocket. How on earth can anything happen with them in my pocket on I’ve pulled it off the bay?

rob22888:
Another site of this company tried this with one of our night drivers a few months ago, he gave them the same response as the OP and they banned him from site

That wasn’t next to a major airport, was it? :smiley: I heard about that.

Anyway, tonight I went back there, and I wasn’t asked for my keys this time. The ■■■■■■ was moaning like hell about these new rules. Apparently some shunter pulled a double decker off the bay on a red light a couple of weeks ago, and somebody fell off the bay :unamused:

I’m going to raise it as an issue with my manager. I usually see the reasoning behind most of these silly H&S rules, so grudgingly comply. But this one is the straw that’s broken my back, as there is zero sense in it, and I feel it’s riskier than if I had the keys.

I long ago gave up making a stand against ridiculous rules in favour of an easy life. Now the most they get from me is an eye roll as I do whatever daft thing they are asking

switchlogic:
I long ago gave up making a stand against ridiculous rules in favour of an easy life. Now the most they get from me is an eye roll as I do whatever daft thing they are asking

I’m of a similar mindset. Considering the blame culture we have these days, if I follow their silly rules and so.ething goes wrong, it’s not going to be my fault.

Besides, it’s hardly an inconvenience is it.

Captain Caveman 76:

Not an inconvenience but its being treated like the driver is incompetent and cant be trusted with his own property…

AndrewG:

Captain Caveman 76:

Not an inconvenience but its being treated like the driver is incompetent and cant be trusted with his own property…

Sadly some have proven that they can’t.

As said I find it easier to nod and say yes, no,3 bags full etc. Often seem to get to them more