A step to far?

So went to news place in Knowsley today. only.deliveing 4 plts of ink.
Never been there before security. Then gives me a tracker thing said you have to wear it around your arm.
It.alerts the flt driver if you get to close to.him

And.am thinking wtf if flt.cant see.you he shouldt be driving one end of.

I can can.put up with hi viz hard hats n the like but feel.this is a step to far in my opinion.
Fella.on forklift said we have a new h &s guy he’s only been here a few weeks and decided we need them. And there not happy about all the changes he’s making

Their train set, their rules. It probably seems like a complete waste of time but if you become a student of human nature the reason will soon become clear; there’s a new Sheriff in town (aka the new H&S guy) who in reality has probably been promoted beyond his ability. He’ll be painfully aware of this fact and wil undoubtedly overcompensate with a raft of new measures and “initiatives” to justify his/her existence and prove to his/her paymasters that they’ve invested wisely.

Experience tells me to let them play their power games, they’ll either get bored or upper management will get bored and move them sideways to another position.

You think you’ve heard it all then someone posts about how they think an item designed to keep them safe ‘goes too far’ :unamused: Give me strength

switchlogic:
You think you’ve heard it all then someone posts about how they think an item designed to keep them safe ‘goes too far’ :unamused: Give me strength

Quite - You might think drivers would actually prefer this sort of approach rather than the “blunt instrument” of being required to sit in a totally separate location while (un)loading takes place.

Asda ADC…

Normanton some years ago. Yellow forklift with flashing lights, reversing beeper, on a yellow criss cross painted floor, with a driver wearing hi-viz vest and safety boots

None of that stopped the driver standing behind the fl and getting his foot squished. (christ it was messy)

After that the stay in the cab system was adopted. This is just another step on the road to ‘walking dead’ drivers.

As maoster has already pointed out, it’s their train set and you play by their rules.

edd1974:
So went to news place in Knowsley today. only.deliveing 4 plts of ink.
Never been there before security. Then gives me a tracker thing said you have to wear it around your arm.
It.alerts the flt driver if you get to close to.him

And.am thinking wtf if flt.cant see.you he shouldt be driving one end of.

I can can.put up with hi viz hard hats n the like but feel.this is a step to far in my opinion.
Fella.on forklift said we have a new h &s guy he’s only been here a few weeks and decided we need them. And there not happy about all the changes he’s making

I go to a site who give out the arm bands which alert both the plant operator & wearer if they come within 3m of each other. For those who think it’s overkill the plant is heavy shovels, the environment is very noisy & there are barriers in excess of 2m high around the bays you tip into so you can’t see over them. The plant has loud buzzers & strobe light in the cab, the arm band vibrates. It isn’t any hardship as you collect them on the way in, hand them in on the way out. Given the likely outcome should plant & human collide I really do not see why you would be reluctant to make use of a bit of kit that can ADD to your awareness.

A wagon driver was hit by a forklift in the yard and killed at kingsland drinks in irlam recently. Didn’t see it in the news strangely.
It’s very sombre in there now and you’re not allowed out your cab at all while in sight of the office. Sit and wait for the shunter. Unless the shunters gone home, then it’s fine.
Out of sight though you can spend an hour strapping your load, teetering on step Ladders, throwing straps blindly over high pallets with people walking past, dodging forklifts from all directions, and climbing and standing on the trailer while being loaded, that’s all fine

I just don’t get it at all. Feel sorry for the flt driver . All.thses beeps going off in his truck.if you get to close.
How close you have to.be who knows.
But I imagine over time the flt drivers will get use to the noise. And will over time.ignore it.
Making the whole thing useless.
Or.it could.go.the other way they rely.on it to much. And worst case it fails …he doesn’t know how to use his eyes and.look for hazards.

Next thing you know we’re be given trackers to wear that give out an eletric shock if we don’t stand.or wait where were told to

edd1974:
I just don’t get it at all. Feel sorry for the flt driver . All.thses beeps going off in his truck.if you get to close.
But I imagine over time the flt drivers will get use to the noise. And will over time.ignore it.
Or.it could.go.the other way they rely.on it to much. And worst case it fails …he doesn’t know how to use his eyes and.look for hazards.

Next thing you know we’re be given trackers to wear that give out an eletric shock if we don’t stand.or wait where were told to

Or, get this radical thought- it might simply work and be another useful safety aid. Crazy idea I know

Roymondo:

switchlogic:

Quite - You might think drivers would actually prefer this sort of approach rather than the “blunt instrument” of being required to sit in a totally separate location while (un)loading takes place.

you can’t help some people…

switchlogic:

edd1974:

Or, get this radical thought- it might simply work and be another useful safety aid. Crazy idea I know

What? Give it a chance?
If it saves half a dozen accidents and injuries, that will go unremarked…they didn’t happen. One accident and it’s “proved” useless.