Handing over keys-Why?

A silly question from someone who’s only driven tippers-Why do so many places insist on you handing over your lorry keys? It’s not arrived in the quarrying business yet but a builders merchant in Banbury are supposed to be introducing it…Is it for security, or H&S? I’d love to see how you unload a tipper with the keys in the office…

Muckaway:
A silly question from someone who’s only driven tippers-Why do so many places insist on you handing over your lorry keys? It’s not arrived in the quarrying business yet but a builders merchant in Banbury are supposed to be introducing it…Is it for security, or H&S?

it’s H&S , iirc there have been odd occasions when numpty drivers have driven off while they were still unloading

out of my cold dead hands they would take my keys … :open_mouth:

i have had it alot, I ask the fork lift truck guy once why and he said they weren’t allowed to unload unless they had the keys just in case the driver knocked the hand brake off, but then the rule board said “keys must be handed to fork lift driver and driver then must stay in the cab”

I just smiled and put the night heater on

bowser:
out of my cold dead hands they would take my keys … :open_mouth:

You would be sitting there a long time waiting to be tipped then. When you die of hunger, they will take the keys and tip you if thats the case :smiley:

All they need is a red airline lock, and that truck is going nowhere (Unless you press the shunt button ofc, but seriously who is going to get out and press the shunt to get off the bay?). This is the reason why I prefer places that are self tip with a pump truck these days, far easier and quicker.

I always hand over my key’s when asked but never the key’s to my truck! The get the old crap key that I found ages ago. Without my ignition in the first possition I can’t even open the bloody windows to let the smoke out then shut them again to stop the rain comming in :laughing:
I have seen a couple of sign’s in places saying “if you have spare keys to your truck please do NOT use them” :grimacing:

I always hand over my key’s when asked but never the key’s to my truck! The get the old crap key that I found ages ago.

I understand the reason why you do this (in the Volvo FM, the auxillary sockets don’t work with the ignition off, so no DVD etc, annoys me) but drivers not handing over the proper keys is the reason we aren’t allowed to stay in our cab at a lot of places now.

I went to Amazon in Doncaster a few weeks ago, and they have a poster up saying to the effect of “It has come to our attention that drivers are not handing in the correct keys when asked, so it is now our policy that you cannot remain in your cab whilst being unloaded.”

Instead you have to stay in what can only be described as a birdcage. Open on all sides, but containing the drivers within a mesh, in full view of the entire warehouse. Like being in a prison bull pen, complete with uncomfortable plastic chairs.

Gotta thank the driver who was caught not handing in the proper keys, for that one.

Luckily it was a quick tip, but we (drivers) are our own worst enemy sometimes.

Muckaway:
I’d love to see how you unload a tipper with the keys in the office…

Muckaway:
A silly question from someone who’s only driven tippers-Why do so many places insist on you handing over your lorry keys? It’s not arrived in the quarrying business yet but a builders merchant in Banbury are supposed to be introducing it…Is it for security, or H&S? I’d love to see how you unload a tipper with the keys in the office…

Sorry but it has started to arrive in the quarrying business. One of our drivers was tipping at a Tarmac quarry the other week when Mr. (shirt and tie) Jobsworth told him to switch off the engine to his truck and that he was going to be banned from all Tarmac sites for leaving the engine running while being out of the vehicle. The driver was actually stood by the side of his tank, blowing the load into a silo. Anyway this little Hitler insisted he was breaking Tarmac policy and again insisted he turn off the engine and take the keys out of the ignition,so driver did and promptly blocked the whole system up, despite telling the idiot that our blowers are pto driven and not donkey engined blowers.

i saw a driver pull off on a red light at scunny, he was foreign driver who woke up looked out his drivers side window and took my green light to be his,very lucky as lad tipping him had just exited trailer,it wasnt entirely drivers fault as hed had to move bays and no-one had checked hed handed his keys back in,but it could of so easily have ended up in young lad tipping him substaining serios or fatal injuries, i was always one for moaning about handing in keys but now i think its better to be safe than sorry
n.b the only one that really baffles me is chilled bays at co-op alferton, you have to hand in your keys that are then hungn up,then you go into back of truck and tip it,cant see the point of it at all

I was in a Tesco depot a few years ago when we were allowed to sit in the cab, but hand the keys in. We all had a good laugh at the bloke who came back an hour after he’d left because he’d handed his car keys in and then driven off without them.

It wasn’t long after that that they stopped us sitting in our cabs.

I pulled off a bay at a bakery once and dropped an electric pallet truck on the deck. The bay lights weren’t working, and I had been waiting in the cab while they loaded me with cream cakes. I heard a whistle and saw an arm sticking out round the bay door with a thumbs up. It was a very warm day so I thought I would pull off and close the doors before I went in for my paperwork. Big crash - lots of shouting - one wrecked machine.

What they actually meant with the thumbs up, was that the paperwork was ready and for me to come in to get signed off. Luckily there was another driver there to back me up.

Amazon Swansea you have to use an airline lock and hand the keys in, not sure why but that’s what you have to do.

Semtex:

Muckaway:
I’d love to see how you unload a tipper with the keys in the office…

My ticket’s run out on one of those… :smiley:

Most Keyline and Travis Perkins I go to now you have to hand your keys in and put a sign in the window that says ‘vehicle must not be moved’ all because one of their own drivers moved while he was being loaded and the forklift went over.

Problem is some of these merchants are so tight that you have to crane some of the blocks over to get em off, and its abit hard to do that when they’ve got the keys :unamused: :laughing:

I took a container up to BHS, due to bad TM planning I was nearly 3 hours late, got there at 2230hrs. Eventually got onto the bay and this chap came over and asked for the keys, I leaned out of the window and gave them to him and off he went. Then the heavens opened and the wind picked up and beat the hell out of the cab. I went in search of the keys so I could close the window and the Supervisor chap who had them was nowhere to be found and he didn’t answer his pager. He was located at 0100hrs with my paperwork. [zb] had gone to another part of the building and was doing another job.

Simple solution to problem with artics at RDC’s. You drop trailer, leave notes in back and park up. Their shunter puts trailer on bay, when tipped returns it to you with signed notes. Any accidents on bays are down to shunter.

waddy640:
Simple solution to problem with artics at RDC’s. You drop trailer, leave notes in back and park up. Their shunter puts trailer on bay, when tipped returns it to you with signed notes. Any accidents on bays are down to shunter.

Can’t do that at some places… ‘elf n safety’, must have a cab under the front incase it tips over… :unamused:

waynedl:

waddy640:

Can’t do that at some places… ‘elf n safety’, must have a cab under the front incase it tips over… :unamused:

Just don’t bother to go there then, wouldn’t want to upset the elves would we?

Just had to hand my keys over this morning. At least they had BBC TV in the waiting room.

Do you think if the waiting room has long, wide padded benches, food and drink machines, TV and a proper toilet it is a suitable place for POA or even a Statuary Break?

Al