Handing in your keys

First off I understand the safety of the guys in the warehouse is paramount to the place where you are tipping/loading and which is why there are such strict rules on handing in keys.

However, I get the impression with some places you go you get looked at as if you are out to reek havoc and would start doing doughnuts in the yard with 3 warehouse guys hanging out the back of your trailer if you were allowed to keep them.

Unsure of the policy in the last place I tipped I locked my cab and took my keys. When I was told to leave them, I went to remove the FOB to unlock the cab when I got back rather than leaving it unlocked and two trips etc. Guys in the office were not for having it without having to physically show them it was impossible to start the engine with it.his reasoning being is how do I know you haven’t removed a spare key also. Which would make sense if I wanted to rally out the yard whenever I felt like it and leave half my keys and paperwork.

It’s like being a kid with scissors. Not allowed them unless an adult is present. Never hold them by the handle and whatever you do never run!

I take the fob off every day anyway as it turns out that the jets have a distance lock thingy on them so if they’re so dark away it locks the vehicle.

And yes I found that out myself :laughing:

I always take the door blipper off, at the moment I’m putting my keys either in a plastic bag,or a disposable glove, also give keys a wipe with anti-bac wipe, or spray with sanitizer that’s on goods desk…
Get some looks but strange time’s

When I was a warehouse humpty I saw a forklift driver drive on the back of the trailer. Lorry pulled off the bay and he severely damaged his back in the fall off his forklift. In constant pain even years later.

Worked at tuffnells in which a warehouse guy died as well due to being crushed.

Some places dont give a ■■■■… bang on side of box “all done drive have a nice day drive safe” that was other day lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To understand you have to look at these things from the point of view of a Health & Safety enthusiast. It’s all about ‘taking steps’ to ensure x,y,z doesn’t happen to cover their arse and wow the HSE inspectors.

Taking the keys is a step taken to prevent your wagon moving when it isn’t safe for it to do so. It ticks a box and covers their arse.

Waiting rooms are partly to do with keeping drivers in a ‘safe place’, so your not wandering round the yard to/from the facilities etc. A ‘step taken’ to reduce the risk of you getting run over. Also makes it easier for fire marshalls to round everybody up.

rob22888:
To understand you have to look at these things from the point of view of a Health & Safety enthusiast. It’s all about ‘taking steps’ to ensure x,y,z doesn’t happen to cover their arse and wow the HSE inspectors.

Taking the keys is a step taken to prevent your wagon moving when it isn’t safe for it to do so. It ticks a box and covers their arse.

Waiting rooms are partly to do with keeping drivers in a ‘safe place’, so your not wandering round the yard to/from the facilities etc. A ‘step taken’ to reduce the risk of you getting run over. Also makes it easier for fire marshalls to round everybody up.

It’s done because some drivers are complete ■■■■■■■ idiots.
Showcased by how often bridges get hit.

I was asked yesterday at an Anazon if I wanted to stay in my cab during unload :open_mouth:

toonsy:
I was asked yesterday at an Anazon if I wanted to stay in my cab during unload :open_mouth:

Amazon are allowing people to wait in their cabs if you hand in your keys and sit in the passenger seat. If you’re on a bay you have to drop your trailer and sit in front of it. They’re doing it to limit the amount of drivers in a waiting room.

Sainsbury’s are doing like amazon , sit in passenger seat

Im sat on a bay… getting loaded… in the drivers seat and the keys in the ignition lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehighlandscot:
First off I understand the safety of the guys in the warehouse is paramount to the place where you are tipping/loading and which is why there are such strict rules on handing in keys.

However, I get the impression with some places you go you get looked at as if you are out to reek havoc and would start doing doughnuts in the yard with 3 warehouse guys hanging out the back of your trailer if you were allowed to keep them.

Unsure of the policy in the last place I tipped I locked my cab and took my keys. When I was told to leave them, I went to remove the FOB to unlock the cab when I got back rather than leaving it unlocked and two trips etc. Guys in the office were not for having it without having to physically show them it was impossible to start the engine with it.his reasoning being is how do I know you haven’t removed a spare key also. Which would make sense if I wanted to rally out the yard whenever I felt like it and leave half my keys and paperwork.

It’s like being a kid with scissors. Not allowed them unless an adult is present. Never hold them by the handle and whatever you do never run!

It’s because someone did it in the past at one point, the driving away with a loader still in the back :smiley: . Plenty of places I go to won’t ask for keys, some places will ask for key even if I’m tipping myself. If they have an ‘accident’ i.e. idiot driver moves off the bay to close his trailer doors before going in for paperwork to save himself an extra climb out/in the cab, there’s going to be an investigation and steps will have to be taken to show the HSE that chances for this to happen again have been minimized/eliminated. Most loaders/shunters don’t like it either but don’t blame the rules, blame the idiots who did stupid things to cause these rules to be introduced.

‘Welp, Rob fell off the trailer because the driver drove off. Why didn’t you take his keys? SEE IT’S HALF YOUR FAULT AS WELL AS A COMPANY IT’S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THE H&S OF YOUR EMPLOYEES’ etc.

I’ve always thought that a better system for “trucks on bays being loaded” - would be to pull the red button out/take off the red airline to prevent “Drive off” incidents from happening at all…

Telling a driver that “you must not return to your cab until you’ve got your keys back” - forces them to have a restless time in the “Cooler” that is often the so-called driver’s waiting room (No hot food, probably toilets, and a TV tuned into BBC News 24) and definitely no bunk you can get your head down on, bearing in mind “Loading time will be about 3-4 hours pal. We’re short-staffed on the loading bays tonight, as ever”.

Even if you put your tacho on “break” for the full time you are in the cooler - how does that fit in with the de-brief when you get back, and you might find yourself being rebuked for taking such a long break, especially if you were scheduled another drop that you subsequently didn’t get back to home depot in time to do?

I’m glad that this “no returning to cab” has since been relaxed over the Coronavirus crisis BUT it’s no good to agency if the “job suddenly got a lot better” - if not all of us are still around in the workplace to see it, eh? :frowning:

there are some company’s where there are blanket procedures, but a lot are down to a new h&s bod are out to make a name for themselves (normally ■■■■) . the one I recall was a large car parts co with a new warehouse that I was going into daily with containers basically filling it up with stock, waved through gatehouse straight onto bay, tipped within 30 mins and on your way.
THEN the warehouse was full more management about :unamused: . stop at gate no entrance till you put hi vis on in cab,
cant use coffe m/c and use outside portaloo. when i asked the security bloke why all the change it was all down to 22 yr old pointy shoe who had been promoted off the forklifts and made h&s officer…
basically its down to micro management when it suits them… :imp:

rant over, annnd breathe…

Tesco passenger seat

44B2950C-C7F9-4D84-B8F2-CD4160C1C5C1.jpeg

This Tesco is just sit in cab

2624DD59-B2AB-45A8-BA3D-DEAF7E86AB76.jpeg

dozy:
This Tesco is just sit in cab

Your a nutter.
So dangerous.

Winseer:
I’ve always thought that a better system for “trucks on bays being loaded” - would be to pull the red button out/take off the red airline to prevent “Drive off” incidents from happening at all…

This is what happens at a couple of places i have tipped at… one of which is Morrisons at Motherwell, give you a salvo lock too…mentioned to one guy “why are you bothering with this? I can still pull it off the bay”
“No you can’t” he said…i said “do you want me to demonstrate?”
He must have been a curious type so he said “OK”

I promptly went round and pushed the shunt button in and started her up and pulled forward a bit.
“Well bugger me” he said

Not been back since so i don’t know if anything has changed :smiley:

lets not forget the real reason they want your keys is to remove the drivers option of pulling off the bay because of inept and lackadasical unloading times and waiting to get tipped times.
as you will know there are several places where in the event of dispute a pallet of goods is balanced half on and off the rear of the trailer on the loading ramp even if you are demanding the return of your keys so you can just drive off to stuff their delivery.

Gist in Motherwell make “visiting drivers” drop the trailer and park in the unit parking area while the trailer is being unloaded . Thet still take your keys away while your being tipped . Their own drivers are allowed to sit it their units hooked up to the trailers on the bay but must sit in the passenger seat . They wanted visiting drivers to sit in the passenger seat as well - and I laughed at them .