Handing over keys-Why?

AlexWignall:
Just had to hand my keys over this morning. At least they had BBC TV in the waiting room.

Do you think if the waiting room has long, wide padded benches, food and drink machines, TV and a proper toilet it is a suitable place for POA or even a Statuary Break?

Al

No, would have thought it was more like a dream you were having.

AlexWignall:
Just had to hand my keys over this morning. At least they had BBC TV in the waiting room.

Do you think if the waiting room has long, wide padded benches, food and drink machines, TV and a proper toilet it is a suitable place for POA or even a Statuary Break?

Al

POA if you know how long you’re going to be there…

Break if it suits you, but not for the company as you’re being forced to wait there :neutral_face:

Other work as far as I am concerned, I am away from my food and drink and therefore I cannot define it as a break.

waddy640:
Other work as far as I am concerned, I am away from my food and drink and therefore I cannot define it as a break.

Having food and drink isn’t a prerequsite for a break. Doing no work is.

No dream, an honest description of the waiting room at Tesco Chesterfield RDC.

I’m sure Tesco/ESL set these waiting rooms so that they can insist their own drivers take POA while they are waiting and that Tesco meet any current and future HSE regs.

A nice piece of lateral thinking from TV’s favourite haulier.

IMHO I would say it would be fair to claim POA to tip at such a place but I would rather claim 40 minutes Other Work and tip myself at ALDI.

Never would I claim a Break at such a place. My boss has got one Bentley already he doesn’t need me and my Colleagues to buy him another one.

I remember shortly after starting on bulk tipping a couple of years ago i went to Rank hovis at Rotherham and when I had reversed under the sampling point a guy came out and asked for me keys. Being a newby to the job I asked why and he explained to me a driver had pulled away from the sampling point whilst it was in the trailer, dragging all the wiring and also the sampler itself clean away from its roots! 15 grands worth of damage and had to replace it. Closed down a few months after.

Mike-C:

waddy640:

Having food and drink isn’t a prerequsite for a break. Doing no work is.

A wait at an RDC often entails sitting in some room full of drivers with a TV showing something that does not interest me. VOSA’s definition is “a period exclusively for recuperation”. The two do not go together. In addition, how do you know how long you are going to be waiting, I have been tipped in 13 mins or 2 hrs. it is the unknown at the start of your wait. Generally I have to take my break after the delivery because the supplier is always running late and I do not get paid for breaks.

I’m with waddy on this one. You got to eat haven’t you. Imagine working in a factory or an office and telling the staff they have to sit in a room on their own with no access to their food or drink. They wouldn’t stand for it and neither should we. Breaks tend to be un-paid. This means you’re free to spend your time as you see fit. When your job is dictating what you do with your time you’re not on a break at all.

If you want to sacrifice your break to get home early for whatever reason then that’s up to you as an individual.

Get real the, POA is so you can work longer if your at work you working,