A step too far for me - "I need your keys, drive"

ezydriver:
I’m going to raise it as an issue with my manager. I usually see the reasoning behind most of these silly H&S rules, so grudgingly comply. But this one is the straw that’s broken my back, as there is zero sense in it, and I feel it’s riskier than if I had the keys.

I think it would be reasonable, if you did hand your keys to the “■■■■■■”, for you to insist that they accompany you whilst you inspect the doors, etc. at the rear of the vehicle. This might be a very slow and detailed check :laughing: They would probably lose interest after doing this a few times, buy maybe not…

switchlogic:
I long ago gave up making a stand against ridiculous rules in favour of an easy life. Now the most they get from me is an eye roll as I do whatever daft thing they are asking

“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”

Perhaps a bit of ■■■ for tat is called for. When they return your keys maybe tell them that you need to inspect the inside of the trailer for any damage which they may have caused with their forklift and walso whether they have resecured any remaining load correctly .Since it is unsafe for you to climb in the back from ground level you will therefore need access to the warehouse. :unamused:

cupidstunt:

switchlogic:
I long ago gave up making a stand against ridiculous rules in favour of an easy life. Now the most they get from me is an eye roll as I do whatever daft thing they are asking

“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”

Tyranny!!■■

Look at the h and s gone wrong thread. £1 million fine. You wonder why companies are so ■■■■ about things

For Heaven’s sake lads get out of bloody RDC hell and find another part of transport, let the bugger starve.

On the tanks you turn up at the gate, sign in or in most cases just waved through cos your lorries are in there every day of the week, the storeman comes out tells you which silo/inlet and which buttons on the panel to press for filters/valves if not automatic, checks the seal signs your paperwork and buggers off, that’s all the contact you usually have, most of the time you haven’t switched the engine off at all.

AndrewG:

Captain Caveman 76:
Besides, it’s hardly an inconvenience is it.

Not an inconvenience but its being treated like the driver is incompetent and cant be trusted with his own property…

I’ve been thinking about this and the reason for it to exist. The only risk I can come up with is the risk of being crushed between the back of the lorry and the loading bay. Probably easier to do if the keys are in and engine running. I’m pretty sure there have been instances of this happening, though as ever, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

If that was me, I’d insist whoever was holding my keys accompanied me to ensure they didn’t accidentally knock the handbrake off. H&S works both ways.

switchlogic:

+1…

I gave up throwing tennis balls at tanks, it’s a great gesture of non-compliance and shouting at the devil but, utterly pointless. The only way it works is if every other driver there on the day backs you up and copies what you’re doing, they don’t and they won’t.

My life is good, I have to put up with situations that naff me off but just get on with it.

I’ve done my time of walking off/being kicked off sites because I disagreed with dumbass procedures. It’s time for others to chain themselves to the railings.

kcrussell25:

cupidstunt:

switchlogic:

Tyranny!!■■

Look at the h and s gone wrong thread. £1 million fine. You wonder why companies are so ■■■■ about things

… … but you’re confusing apples and oranges: I have every sympathy with the family of the guy who copped it and, from what little I’ve read, it sounds like the firm asked for it. I likewise have, as I would guess the overwhelming majority of drivers, no beef with the whole H & S thing per se.

What people like myself, and an increasing number of other drivers, are rebelling against is the imposition of a plethora of brainless, mindless and pathetic rules which have no bearing on H & S whatever and seem to be insituted and imposed simply because some brainless office chair polisher wants to try and justify his over-paid and over-rated position.

For example:

Where’s your hard hat Drive?
In the cab.
Got to wear it, drive.
Why?
In case something falls on you, drive!
Sorry mate, but I’m working in the back of a 45’ fridge trailer, there is nothing in here which even comes over elbow height. What is going to drop on my head?
Sorry, but Health and Safety…

or the one I was presented with on Friday…

Where’s your hard hat, Drive?
In the cab.
Gotta wear it, Drive.
Why?
Health and Safety mate…
But you’re not wearing one!
But I work here!

The guy was deadly serious. He genuinely couldn’t see why he had to wear a hard hat, but at some point in the past someone had told him that delivery drivers had to wear them so ------

Further I, and others, could easily throw out hundreds of other examples – and by no means are they all hard hat related, the 2 above are just the first two off the top of my head.

It’s stuff like that that winds people up to the point where they fight back!

cupidstunt:

switchlogic:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Taking your keys today, ethnic cleansing tomorrow

It’s beyond a joke now but while we all just do it it’s only going to get worse…
I’m not awkward but I do argue the toss with some of it and 90% of the time I win…
Last summer I was at a place that wanted my arms covering,not a chemical place just a normal warehouse…I said I suffer with eczema and it’s hot and will flair my arms up,got told “health & safety mate” so I reply’s how is it good for my health to wear somtothats going to flair up my medical condition?? He couldn’t answer and I kept my arms uncovered and cool…

ezydriver:

David H:
Basically, you’re handing keys over to someone who you know has no intention of driving the truck away.

Am I? How do I know that? I can assume it, but never truly know it. Perhaps the stranger I’ve just handed my keys over to chooses that moment to flip out. Perhaps he sees it as the jihadist opportunity he’s been waiting for. I know nothing about them. That’s my point. 1 in a million chance, I know, but there’s 0 in a million with them in my pocket. How on earth can anything happen with them in my pocket on I’ve pulled it off the bay?

rob22888:
Another site of this company tried this with one of our night drivers a few months ago, he gave them the same response as the OP and they banned him from site

[/quote

Have you ever thought that your keys might in fact be magic keys ezydriver that will unlock the door to another world?

It happened right before our eyes at Tesco Widnes. A driver from Bounds Transport was messing around with his keys at the booking in desk. There was a huge flash and all that was left was his tattered hi-viz. Then everyone in the waiting room had a vision on the wall mounted TV set of the driver in a brand-new Scania 950 Super-Liner with a blonde next to him in cut off jeans and thousands of Yorkie bars.

Maybe that’s what you were hoping for when you handed your keys over and it didn’t happen but you wish it did.

Well I had a bit of fun today. Got to my drop and I actually handed over my phone, put it in one of those steel boxes and took my key.
As I have two phones (waiting for number to switch over) I kept calling the phone every couple of minutes.

When I got back to security an hour later, he said 'next time can you turn your phone off, it’s not stopped ringing ’

I said if it is turned off then I won’t need to hand it in as it poses no risk.

Flubberjubberchin just didn’t know what to do haha.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The-Snowman:
if he doesnt have a CE license is he technically breaking the law?

Nope. He can even get in the lorry, start it up and go for a jolly around the yard. As long as he doesn’t leave the premises he doesn’t need a licence and as its controlled by security and not openly accessible to the public he can be off his head on blow and booze as well.

Honked:
Well I had a bit of fun today. Got to my drop and I actually handed over my phone, put it in one of those steel boxes and took my key.
As I have two phones (waiting for number to switch over) I kept calling the phone every couple of minutes.

When I got back to security an hour later, he said 'next time can you turn your phone off, it’s not stopped ringing ’

I said if it is turned off then I won’t need to hand it in as it poses no risk.

Flubberjubberchin just didn’t know what to do haha.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is very childish but would be quite fun. Set the ring tone to a comedy voice of insults :laughing: . Watch out the window and ring it every time a wagon pulls up to the security window :laughing:

ezydriver:
Apparently some shunter pulled a double decker off the bay on a red light a couple of weeks ago, and somebody fell off the bay :unamused:

What actually happened was that some suit sat in an office, surrounded by coffee cups had a thought on what would happen IF a shunter pulled a trailer off a bay when the light was still red. Suit then decided that someone COULD fall off the bay.

However, this thought then transpired into a shunter actually did pull a trailer from a bay and someone fell off and they can now create all these ■■■■■ rules cos they’ve made something up that could happen.

I wonder if the same suit is allowed to drive his car home cos he’s had the thought that someone COULD drive into him and injure him.

I don’t suffer this stress of uk RDC choose different work ,but best option would be to have an old set of truck keys to hand in ? they wont know the difference and no need to stress, every workshop has a drawer full of spare keys from trucks they sold 5 years before !

fgm:
I don’t suffer this stress of uk RDC choose different work ,but best option would be to have an old set of truck keys to hand in ? they wont know the difference and no need to stress, every workshop has a drawer full of spare keys from trucks they sold 5 years before !

I’m sorry but, it’s probably because of Pr@@@ts like you that we have all this H&S BS !!! Do you really think that that is a clever move ■■

Every time I shunt I lose count of the number of drivers who hand me what are obviously spare keys. Personally I never say anything because I’m not employed to be the yard policeman. However all it takes is one of my colleagues to be having a bad day and go running to management and suddenly all visiting drivers instead of sitting in their cabs will find themselves sat together in a portacabin! At least they’ll get to swap war stories though.

the maoster:
Every time I shunt I lose count of the number of drivers who hand me what are obviously spare keys. Personally I never say anything because I’m not employed to be the yard policeman. However all it takes is one of my colleagues to be having a bad day and go running to management and suddenly all visiting drivers instead of sitting in their cabs will find themselves sat together in a portacabin! At least they’ll get to swap war stories though.

Yeah if they climb out of an FH and hand you this. I’d think “hmmmm. Something’s a bit fishy with this one” :laughing:

That ^^^^ is from Dipper Dave’s chastity belt. I’m slightly concerned as to how and why you are in possession of it. Care to share with the group? :wink: