Don't hand your keys in

I have recently checked the human rights act. It states that no one shall be refused access to their property. therefore if you visit an rdc, hand your keys in then sit in a waiting room. You have been denied access to your vehicle which is your property. therefore the rdc has broke the law.

www.news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/946400.stm

protocol no 1.

just because you agree to abide by their rules. it does not mean that they can make rules that break the law.

when you’ve had a truck stolen by a dodgy warehouseman in spain you don’t like to hand your keys in.

the truck is entrusted to you by your employer. it is yours until your employer decides otherwise.

they should just pull on the trailer break or disconect the red airline. you could even pull out from under the trailer.

If you would care to copy and paste it,then we can print it off,and show these people when they ask for our keys.

PS.Welcome to TN.

Ken.

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome limeyphil :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

Also: If your not an employee of the RDC your tipping at.
I wonder if the vehicle insurance underwriters would pay up
as your handing a means of easy access,
and the responsibility of vehicle security (load & Cab contents) to a non-employee

Surely though If they have a set of rules that state that drivers must hand their keys in thats what you have to do!!
by not following their rules they have the right to refuse to load/unload you and kick you off of site!!!by being on their property,you are ,by being there agreeing to the rules and regs
of that particular company. :wink:

I really dont think that quoting the Human Rights Act will get you too far. to be honest. :wink:

Unless you are an o/d then the lorry is not your property. It belongs to your company and I’m sure they want the business so wont want you to refuse to hand your keys over.

Every company has to ensure their employees have a safe working environment. This is why they take your keys. There are some stupid lorry drivers out there who will pull of the bay on a red light. Which is more important - the h&s of the people in the warehouse or you having your keys.

I don’t really see why people have a problem handing keys over. It’s never bothered me.

Anyone got a good reason why they object??

madtrucker:

Yeah,I personally dont want to sit in a Drivers room for hours on end,when I could be sleeping.
or
If I am allowed to stay in my cab,I have to leave all my stuff in an unlocked vehicle if/when I go in to collect my keys or go to the toilet.
Im not really an awkward person just for the sake of it,but it really ■■■■■ me off!!

If its a quick tip fair enough,not too bothered,its the ones when its 1-6 hours and your stuck in a drivers room with local radio playing at full whack,with only a manky coffee machine to aid the boredom and anger!!

I just leave the doors open and take my wallet with me,

I dont see a problem with that and if Tosco or Marrisons say you must wear pink spotty socks, that is their rule, if you dont or wont wear pink spotty socks then they have the right to refuse you entry to their premises. If your boss says you have to wear pink spotty socks then you would, or get another job wouldnt you?

I mean look at the Dwarfs and Gnomes in corporate clothing driving trucks, do you think that is their choice of leisure wear? No, don’t answer that, it probably is :stuck_out_tongue:

Will your boss pay for your stuff if it got stolen,

When they take possession of your keys vehicle security becomes their responsibility therefore any loss of property should be claimed for on that companies insurance… :exclamation: :exclamation:

bikemonkey:

madtrucker:

Yeah,I personally dont want to sit in a Drivers room for hours on end,when I could be sleeping.
or
If I am allowed to stay in my cab,I have to leave all my stuff in an unlocked vehicle if/when I go in to collect my keys or go to the toilet.
Im not really an awkward person just for the sake of it,but it really [zb] me off!!

If its a quick tip fair enough,not too bothered,its the ones when its 1-6 hours and your stuck in a drivers room with local radio playing at full whack,with only a manky coffee machine to aid the boredom and anger!!

Have you been to any Wal-Mart RDC’s over here Bikemonkey, you have to drop trailer at the dock so at least you can stay in tractor, or watch that big 8" TV in drivers room :wink: :laughing:

No idea wither using human rights laws would work or not,

Lets face it RDC and large companies like that think their own rules over shadow laws and rules of the landanyways.

Mind last drop was at a RDC, two pallets of booze from a bonded warehouse. Booking in time was 1100 got there at 1030 and in the gate waiting to go on a bay. 1700 still no sign of getting anywhere near a bay, called up my boss, who says screw that we need the wagon back its the trunking motor we don’t have any spare, they can get their two pallets another time.

What a nightmare trying to get out that place, no one would sign a gate pass to let me out and telling me to wait because of company policy. Eventually speaking with security guards they wouldnt let me out either becauuse against the company rules. Ended up blocking the gate and threatening to call the police, eventually they let me out.

Apart from the fact their crap schedualing meant a truck was off the road all afternoon to delivery two pallets, i was running outta time since i had started at 3.30am and didn’t fancy having to take a 9 hour break in a RDC.

remy:

bikemonkey:

madtrucker:

or
Im not really an awkward person just for the sake of it,but it really [zb] me off!!

Have you been to any Wal-Mart RDC’s over here Bikemonkey, you have to drop trailer at the dock so at least you can stay in tractor, or watch that big 8" TV in drivers room :wink: :laughing:

Get that here someplaces as well have to drop the trailer, i’ve no problem with that, its better than handing over your keys. Used to do it at Wincanton Gloucester, and usually they knew exaclty how long it would take to be loaded or unloaded so could get a decent sleep.

I’d had no problems either going to a drivers rest room, if it were the canteen in someplaces where you have a pool table, decent drinks machines and decent seating. But typically places like that here its a tiny wee room with a wooden bench and not even a tv. Sitting there bored ■■■■■■■■ for hours at times, thinking i’d rather be anywhere than here.

Kenny1975:
No idea wither using human rights laws would work or not,

Lets face it RDC and large companies like that think their own rules over shadow laws and rules of the landanyways.

Mind last drop was at a RDC, two pallets of booze from a bonded warehouse. Booking in time was 1100 got there at 1030 and in the gate waiting to go on a bay. 1700 still no sign of getting anywhere near a bay, called up my boss, who says screw that we need the wagon back its the trunking motor we don’t have any spare, they can get their two pallets another time.

What a nightmare trying to get out that place, no one would sign a gate pass to let me out and telling me to wait because of company policy. Eventually speaking with security guards they wouldnt let me out either becauuse against the company rules. Ended up blocking the gate and threatening to call the police, eventually they let me out.

Apart from the fact their crap schedualing meant a truck was off the road all afternoon to delivery two pallets, i was running outta time since i had started at 3.30am and didn’t fancy having to take a 9 hour break in a RDC.

you did the right thing. they have no right to hold you against your will. the police take this very seriously. they will back you up 100%. trouble is they really do think they are above the law. if more drivers phoned the law then they would clamp down on rdc’s. EVENTUALLY.

not sure on police back up,

had a similar prob when i was working at a local haulier, due to warehouse probs a booker driver was left a few hours and we could,nt tip him, he got peed off and tried to leave security would,nt let him and he started to cause problems, police attend, the load is not the property of the haulier ususally he is contracted to deliver ect, so if he attempts to leave site against the instructions of site he could be deemed as theft, thin i know but this is what the police said at the time, he could also be classed as being uninsured if he did this without his companies knowledge,
as said most employers will think of the buisness and big pic first before driver, so if it came to the crunch of losing buisness or a driver which would they choose??

Kenny1975:
drop the trailer, i’ve no problem with that, its better than handing over your keys.

Agreed!!

A little episode I had a couple of months back.

Pulled on the bay at a chilled warehouse, keys to be handed in so I did, fire alarm goes off so were all stood outside for a while, as it turns out to be an ammonia leak,
“Factory’s closed for the night, you can all go home” was the call from the factory management,
Apart from me who is 100 miles from home and got his keys in the building,
I was told my gaffer had to sort out alternative arrangements for me, so after arguing my way through the management of Northern Foods I ended up being stood with the Head Fire cheif for the area, A director for Northern Foods, the Factory Manager, a guy from the HSE and Northern Foods H+S manager.
After telling them the THEIR company policy makes me hand MY KEYS into THEIR OFFICE (in block as i had to highlight this fact to the management numpties) that THEY are responsable for me, and if I had to sort my own hotel out, then I knew there was a Hilton in the City and I would be getting a full refund plus extra’s.
In the end the management basically begged to get a fireman to go and get my keys so this mithering driver could be sent on his way at no cost to their company.

Now I hand my keys in as I am about to be loaded, and tell them if theres an alarm my keys are the 1st thing they bring with them.

B1 GGK:

Pulled on the bay at a chilled warehouse, keys to be handed in so I did, fire alarm goes off so were all stood outside for a while, as it turns out to be an ammonia leak,
“Factory’s closed for the night, you can all go home” was the call from the factory management,
I was told my gaffer had to sort out alternative arrangements for me, so after arguing my way through the management of Northern Foods I ended up being stood with the Head Fire cheif for the area, A director for Northern Foods, the Factory Manager, a guy from the HSE and Northern Foods H+S manager.
After telling them the THEIR company policy makes me hand MY KEYS into THEIR OFFICE (in block as i had to highlight this fact to the management numpties) that THEY are responsable for me, and if I had to sort my own hotel out, then I knew there was a Hilton in the City and I would be getting a full refund plus extra’s.
In the end the management basically begged to get a fireman to go and get my keys so this mithering driver could be sent on his way at no cost to their company.

Now I hand my keys in as I am about to be loaded, and tell them if theres an alarm my keys are the 1st thing they bring with them.

i’m supprised that they hav’nt changed their policy after this. but that’s management for you.

limeyphil:

B1 GGK:

i’m supprised that they hav’nt changed their policy after this. but that’s management for you.

They seem just able capable to change their socks, Plus a rule change wont involve a graph or pie chart showing percentages.

police attend, the load is not the property of the haulier ususally he is contracted to deliver ect, so if he attempts to leave site against the instructions of site he could be deemed as theft, thin i know but this is what the police said at the time,

As far as I know the definition of theft is " the intent to permanently deprive."
can’t see how taking load back to depot fits this definition.
I would think that “unlawful detention” is more likely to be true.
Just a thought… if they refuse to let you out (except in cases of extreme nature) are you justified in crashing the gate?
Now that would be fun :smiley: