TRY THIS

Run this past your Boss first or CEO, Ask them when you hand the keys to your truck in at the goods in office ( which has nothing to do with health and safety ) who is responsible for the security of your truck, What is the situation with the companies insurance giving your keys over to someone who is not employed by the company but also has no right to have those keys in there charge as they are not employed by your company, I have run this past the environmental agency as well as the health and safety executive, Both tell me they have not passed any directive on the grounds of health and safety for drivers to hand there keys in, what you are entitled to do under EU Directive is drop the trailer on the bay and pull from under it leaving just your skids under so should the trailer decided to tip forward when being unloaded ( very unlikely ) it will be safe. The rules for health and Safety is wheels must be chocked and trailer made secure handing keys in has nothing to do with H&S. Also under P.O.A. Rules it is your time to do what you want with so if you wish to take the truck out of there compound to go and get something to eat under EU Regulations you can do this and they cannot stop you. If they say they can then they are in breach of the human rights act as they cannot deniy you food and liquid ( not alcohol ). Run it past your boss then watch as there blood pressure goes through the roof. If they sack you then you can tack them to tribunal for wrongful dismissal, You are just stating what your rights are it is time all these RDC’s were brought down to earth, ( little hitlers ).

So when the RDC office, says, ok drive, take the goods off of our premises, as handing your keys in is a part of our terms and conditions for our own workers safety, as we have had drivers pull forward when on a red light, or knocked the handbrake off whilst rummaging through the cab.
So what will you tell your boss,. when he says, ok then boy, if you wont do it, your out of a job, for that work is my bread and butter.

I don’t get it, why drivers are so annoyed that the keys to a vehicle they don’t own, have to be handed in, in Sainsburys RDC`s, you are not allowed to sit in your cab anyway, but to protest for better facilities, I could understand.

Sounds like a driver who can’t be arsed. Send for an agency driver :laughing:

ha ha

And my reply if I were the boss would be “if you don’t like the job empty your cab and **** off”

apart from a justified rant against RDC waiting rooms, the OP really needs to check into new rules regarding tribunals and their cost.
The idea of “going to a tribunal” is nothing like it used to be and can be quite expensive, not exactly what you want when you’ve already lost your job and earnings.
I also have my doubts that the “human rights act” entitles you to food and drink, if it did there would be many many pensioners etc chasing the govt on that score.

Whether it’s H&S or human rights or whatever it’s doesn’t matter, it’s THEIR site policy which YOU must adhere to to enter their premises.

I wasn’t disputing the fact that if it is their site procedure then they can insist on you doing it their way, providing it is legal of course.
I was disputing the ‘advice’ and the alleged legal backing of the advice in the OP.

a couple of years ago there was a topic on here that i commentated on which is similar to what is being said, that by entering a site you are agreeing to their terms and conditions, i got slated funny how opinions change…

dle1uk:
a couple of years ago there was a topic on here that i commentated on which is similar to what is being said, that by entering a site you are agreeing to their terms and conditions, i got slated funny how opinions change…

but we’re in 2013, three weeks and abit off 2014!!! No we don’t agree at all by entering THEIR site one iota! :laughing: time to make a stand :sunglasses: , get unionised, :smiley: AND MAYBE, just MAYBE things will change! :wink: we only get treated like ■■■■, because WE LET THEM TREAT US LIKE ■■■■! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

unions are a complete waste of space mate! they are only interested in one thing! money! ok you get some good shop stewards but the majority are useless and are manipulating the position to suit themselves and themselves only! and i,m talking from experience of being on a union commitee and still getting screwed over by them! i saw for myself the way the main union guys work…

drivers will never ever stick together, but wether you like it or not when entering a site you agree to abide by their site rules or procedures… totally agree we get treated like ■■■■ and yes this should change but how can we change it when a large percentage act like animals?

personally i dont agree with handing keys in at rdc,s or similar which is why I dont do this type of work… :grimacing: :grimacing:

Bigmiler, there is a new law been passed from June this year if you decide to go to a tribunal you pay all costs - so hand over the keys, calm down and be a good lad - don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

dle1uk:

I believe the private parking companies try the same trick, along the lines of by parking here you agree to our terms etc… And look where it’s got them. I’m sure you can’t imply, that by entering their premises, you agree to their t&c’s.

bigmiler:
Run this past your Boss first or CEO, Ask them when you hand the keys to your truck in at the goods in office ( which has nothing to do with health and safety ) who is responsible for the security of your truck, What is the situation with the companies insurance giving your keys over to someone who is not employed by the company but also has no right to have those keys in there charge as they are not employed by your company, I have run this past the environmental agency as well as the health and safety executive, Both tell me they have not passed any directive on the grounds of health and safety for drivers to hand there keys in, what you are entitled to do under EU Directive is drop the trailer on the bay and pull from under it leaving just your skids under so should the trailer decided to tip forward when being unloaded ( very unlikely ) it will be safe. The rules for health and Safety is wheels must be chocked and trailer made secure handing keys in has nothing to do with H&S. Also under P.O.A. Rules it is your time to do what you want with so if you wish to take the truck out of there compound to go and get something to eat under EU Regulations you can do this and they cannot stop you. If they say they can then they are in breach of the human rights act as they cannot deniy you food and liquid ( not alcohol ). Run it past your boss then watch as there blood pressure goes through the roof. If they sack you then you can tack them to tribunal for wrongful dismissal, You are just stating what your rights are it is time all these RDC’s were brought down to earth, ( little hitlers ).

Complete and utter tripe. Please tell me which “Rules for health and safety” state that wheels must be chocked? What “P.O.A. Rules” make any reference at all to it being your time to do what you want to? Likewise which “EU regulations” or “Human Rights Act” gives you the right to access food and drink? Sounds like someone has been paying far too much attention to one of the RDC windbags (he wasn’t ex-SAS by any chance…?)

Have a word with your workshop boys. Fitters have always got a few old keys laying about somewhere. Make up a dummy keyring & hand them in at the RDC (if you feel that hard-done-by). But make sure your “cunning plan” dosen’t get found out.

The RDC ■■■■■■■■ rules just do not stack up. We are constantly told that it is Health and Safety when it is clearly not.

Take Tosco for instance, park on bay and sit in our crap waiting room for anything up to 6 hours because its H & S, then go round the corner to Asda where all drivers MUST wait in their cabs because it is health and safety.

Too many drivers just let these places have their own way which is why we are treated in such a fashion. These RDC’s create bad feeling by providing us with anti social booking in windows that would make Barclays look insecure. There are bars and railings everywhere to keep us in our pens but hey, we should be glad we have a job and give them free use of our personal mobile phones whilst we are there because at the wend of the day it will soon be their site policy and we are accepting it by going onto their land.

Truckbling:
The RDC [zb] rules just do not stack up. We are constantly told that it is Health and Safety when it is clearly not.

Take Tosco for instance, park on bay and sit in our crap waiting room for anything up to 6 hours because its H & S, then go round the corner to Asda where all drivers MUST wait in their cabs because it is health and safety.

When they quote “Health and Safety”, they mean that someone in their organisation has done a risk assessment and their solution at Tesco’s is for the drivers to wait in a waiting room and in Asda’s case for the drivers to wait in their cab. They are both driven by the risk assessment as required by HnS, they came to different solutions to mitagate their perceived or actual risk, that does not mean that either or both are wrong.

If you enter an RDC you must follow their procedures, their liability insurance and HnS mandate will require you to do so. I don’t really see an issue here. Your company will probably have stipulated by either contract or acceptance of delivery that you would do so, it would surprise me if they hadn’t.

I will go as far as saying that most of your own insurance providers will also stipulate or even mandate that once on site you have to follow that site’s HnS policies and procedures or else you own insurance will be null and void also.

Stop fighting these RDC procedures, just accept them and get on with it, if you don’t someone else will happily do so in your place.

Trying to be clever and creative just to score points or get one over on the local jobsworth will only mean you are the one paying for it somehow if something does go wrong, accepting their policies means your backside is covered. Having these policies in place means that you as the driver don’t have to worry about certain risk and the assessment to do your duties, someone else has already done that for you. Procedures like these will actually make your life easier, as long as you accept them of course, they will give you ulcers and a headache if you try to fight them, in vain may I add.

OVLOV JAY:
Sounds like a driver who can’t be arsed. Send for an agency driver :laughing:

I’ve been banging on about this on other threads this week.
:smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

SuffolkLad:

dle1uk:

I believe the private parking companies try the same trick, along the lines of by parking here you agree to our terms etc… And look where it’s got them. I’m sure you can’t imply, that by entering their premises, you agree to their t&c’s.

parking was/is a completely different matter and wa/is money orientated, and tbh the govt and local councils all played the same game… and everyone got greedy!! and many many folk got their kicks by reporting or watching cars getting clamped ect…

but back to the topic, so you enter some premises and disagree with their site rules… ok but do you voice this opinion and stand your ground? silently disagree with it but carry on and try not to get caught,or just get on with it?

ok maybe t&cs was the wrong wording prob site rules would be better? dont forget though that its these rules that maybe will protect you whilst on site…

Handed the fob in for that new merc 2545 at an rdc last week and they took a while to accept the fob was the only key and suggested someone come down to the cab with me, until another driver stepped in and suggested the desk jockey should wake up and smell the [zb]. They guy backed me up by saying that you slot it in the dash and press the “go” button like windows 7 :smiley: