A bridge too far

May meets Macron to discuss Brexit deal but Boris gets the headlines.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Can’t see why they’d go for a bridge, not only is it open to the elements but they’ll have hazards of ships so it would need to be built high. They already have the tunnels so they have all the research of the ground to know how to build another one.

The french side looks interesting…it goes straight into Sangatte… :smiley: :smiley:

Doris is a fat Buffoon, A bridge across the channel ffs, what a lunatic, it would be the gimmigrants dream come true, and a potential target for terrorists, we can’t secure the ferry ports and chunnel properly so building a bridge would be a good solution? then there’s the loss of jobs in those ferry companies and ET what a ■■■■ this idiot is

Even that dwarf microbe the granny shafter wants a bridge, this should sound alarm bells thesun.co.uk/news/5374339/b … el-bridge/

The shipping channels are at the narrowest point 8.3 nautical miles wide in the Dover Straight so how the hell are they going to bridge that with the NE going lane just a bit wider than the SW lane ■■? btw ships are like foreingers by driving on the wrong side …

it will never happen,cost too much and take too long

What Macron said was that he was sorry that the UK were leaving the EU and it might be possible to stay friends and build bridges between the two countries.

Boris wanted to build the first one [emoji14]

Of course it’ll work, you only need a couple of sky hooks. :smiley:

Don’t understand why people are getting upset about it. From what I’ve read he is just going to hire some experts to dicuss the practicality and feasibility of it. to me this seems like a reasonable thing to do yet listening to people on the radio chat about it makes it sound like it’s a done deal.

I voted brexit and Id support it if it improved trade.

alamcculloch:
I wonder if Corillion will tender for it?

No, but…volunteer brickies from Eritrea/ Syria et al would soon have it up and running… :stuck_out_tongue:

AndrewG:

alamcculloch:

No, but…volunteer brickies from Eritrea/ Syria et al would soon have it up and running… :stuck_out_tongue:

lol they wouldn’t know what to do with a trowel, they use their hands in the ■■■■■■■■ they hale from

adam277:
Don’t understand why people are getting upset about it. From what I’ve read he is just going to hire some experts to dicuss the practicality and feasibility of it. to me this seems like a reasonable thing to do yet listening to people on the radio chat about it makes it sound like it’s a done deal.

It won’t but leaving with no deal will WTO and we will be better off as well our living costs will fall

adam277:

Adam you amaze me!
You voted for Brexit?
You want to support trade across the channel?
“…”

AndrewG:

alamcculloch:

Not a chance mate. Itll be Mexicans. The Eritreans and Syrians will be labouring in Texas building Donalds wall. All the Mexicans will be kicked out and coming over here, as part of our new trade deal with our new markets.

muckles:

switchlogic:
I think a Bridge could work, or rather a bridge tunnel like the Oresund Crossing from Denmark to Sweden. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility and in fact some bridge designs were considered decades ago before they settled on a tunnel. Google it.

^^
The channel bridge tunnel was the first thing I thought of, so I did google it. :smiley:
EuroRoute | Roads.org.uk

As the article said a bridge might cause problems in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, but bridge builders have faced those problems before, The Britannia bridge had to have a span far larger than had been tried before because of the Royal Navy’s requirements to sail through the Menai straights.
However I think the idea is unlikely to happen, but sometimes it takes people to think beyond the unlikely to move things on, the same as Boris island got a lot of ridicule, but it not much different to what many other countries have done to get vast amounts of land for an international airport in a crowded area.

“Boris Island” was first talked about in the `40s apparently. 20 years before he was born.

When Im elected world ruler the new "London" Airport will be built on an island in the Bristol channel. Barrage from Weston-Super-Mare to Cardiff. Big island in the middle. No noise pollution as aircraft approach over the sea. Electricity to be generated from the integrated tidal generators on the barrage either side of it. Londoners will get a high speed train direct to the city if they wish. (An hours trip, and they get off plane and straight onto train, doing customs etc on board) Passengers from other parts of the country don`t need to get around the capital worsening the traffic, they just go wherever they want.

Franglais:

adam277:

Adam you amaze me!
You voted for Brexit?
“…”

Yep. I believe we can still keep and improve trade with the continent without being in the EU. I’m just skeptical if our current government have the capacity to do it.
The only reason I voted was for controlled immigration.

adam277:

Franglais:

adam277:

Adam you amaze me!
You voted for Brexit?
“…”

Yep. I believe we can still keep and improve trade with the continent without being in the EU. I’m just skeptical if our current government have the capacity to do it.
The only reason I voted was for controlled immigration.

I can understand your wishes.
I wont launch off into a long rant etc (not this time, anyway). Cutting any ties must surely be harmful, how can we improve trade with a block by leaving it? Our present Gov cant do it because NO Gov can do it.
If we stop Eu immigration there will be trading penalties. That`s the rules of the game!

If we start bigger trade deals with say, India, the deals will 99.99% certain involve immigration deals. I repeat thats how trade deals work: Example; India wants cars Germany has BMW and France has Peugeot. The Eu allows 100,000 Indians to get work permits. India puts 10% tax on Eu cars. UK has Toyota and Jaguar. We allow 10,000 Indians work permits. India sticks 25% tax on UK cars. Guess who sells most cars. We want new markets? Weve got to buy them somehow.
If we refuse Eu migration and end up on a hard Brexit, we could end up on WTO rules. I think thats about 20% on cars. Cars from UK being sold in EU will go up in price by 20%. Cars from UE being sold in UK will go up by 20%. Germany and France dont want this its true. But with UK cars costing more in the EU, BMW and Peugeot will now have a lot of the market previously held by Jaguar Toyota etc. We all lose, but we lose more. Trade wars arent a zero sum game. Almost everyone loses.

Theres a lot more to it than that, but thats the bones of it.

DJC:
Can’t see why they’d go for a bridge, not only is it open to the elements but they’ll have hazards of ships so it would need to be built high. They already have the tunnels so they have all the research of the ground to know how to build another one.

I think the problem with a road tunnel would be ventilation.

Harry Monk:

DJC:

I think the problem with a road tunnel would be ventilation.

By the time another tunnel is built there won`t be any diesel or petrol engines on the roads !

Every structure built in or under the sea should have a tidal generator built in at the construction phase.