QEII Bridge. why no common sense

why cant they keep the bridge open for cars, and send trucks through the tube,

My feelings exactly, I got delayed for two and a half hours. Caused me to go over my 15 hours.

I actually crossed the bridge about 1pm and it was windier then than it was at 8pm !!!

What a nightmare, never understand why it is so high anyway… Why not put panels on it similar to the Severn Crossing, never seems to be a problem when windy on that one !!

The Health and Safety Gestapo involved here me thinks… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

darren23:
why cant they keep the bridge open for cars, and send trucks through the tube,

I think youve just answered your own question :wink:
Cracking idea.

m3ter:
My feelings exactly, I got delayed for two and a half hours. Caused me to go over my 15 hours.

I actually crossed the bridge about 1pm and it was windier then than it was at 8pm !!!

What a nightmare, never understand why it is so high anyway… Why not put panels on it similar to the Severn Crossing, never seems to be a problem when windy on that one !!

Me too, bloody fools, I went over bridge around 2 ish and it was windy but not bad…

A lot of the delay today though, was the crash because of the selfish, self important ■■■■■■■■■ cutting across lanes, chevrons, driving down hard shoulders etc…

Saw 2 ambulances go in whilst I was sat there, so something happened.

Wasn’t much better the other side though if I’m honest, expected a nice run, but the junction for the A13 was ■■■■■■

I should think that is why they can’t send trucks through the tube only and cars over the bridge. Who is going to let us out to the right so we can get to the tunnel and get in the left lane without driving right up to the end of the queue to use the bridge?? It’s because of the selfishness and the lack of common sense from the average road user that makes your idea impossible I’m afraid.
It’d be carnage I suspect, 1 long queue of lorries trying to get over to the right and 1 long queue of cars nose to tail not letting you through.

darren23:
‘…why no common sense…’

Literally? Because ‘common sense’ is now only a historical - although a once common use - term.

Shame faced UK politicians covertly admit by telling us that we should celebrate [sic] today’s Diverse Society.

According to Sell-Out Tony/Gordon, only bigots oppose it - although it appears to peeve a lot of us off too.

Diversity doesn’t just mean embracing the Nottinghill Carnival, enjoying 24/7 Halal kebabs or having all Government forms in a million languages, etc. It means a confusion of jurisdiction & chokes those making decisions about what is best in our country by those of us paying to live here - including road administrators, it seems.

We can’t have it both ways so we perhaps need to catch up, realise & stop seeking the unachievable re ‘common sense’, which the EU has seemingly done a great deal to trash with full conivance of Lab/Con/Lib Brussels puppets.

streaky:
‘…It’s because of the selfishness and the lack of common sense from the average road user that makes your idea impossible I’m afraid…’

I disagree & put it down to both poor & ineffective political leadership - voted into place by us.

Hiya ,…i can,t see why they don,t let trucks use the blackwall tunnel on windy days …it would ease the queue on the bridge.
I know they say Polution(LEZ) but for certain the traffic standing on the M25 makes the same amout of polution.IF thats
the problem…to which i think is CRAP they just hate trucks.Cars over the top and the use of the blackwall for some trucks.
John

streaky:
I should think that is why they can’t send trucks through the tube only and cars over the bridge. Who is going to let us out to the right so we can get to the tunnel and get in the left lane without driving right up to the end of the queue to use the bridge?? It’s because of the selfishness and the lack of common sense from the average road user that makes your idea impossible I’m afraid.
It’d be carnage I suspect, 1 long queue of lorries trying to get over to the right and 1 long queue of cars nose to tail not letting you through.

There’s an arch bridge near me, and maybe 1 truck an hour goes through it, busy periods a few more, and quiet periods none…

Cars wouldn’t let the trucks through, so the council installed traffic lights and dropped the road to a single lane under the bridge.

So, their selfishness has now cost them because you will ALWAYS get stopped at a red light down there now.

Ha! Serves them right! Surely the main reason not letting any vehicles over exposed bridges in such (hopefully rare) extreme conditions is the impossibility of enforcing cars only and moving HGVs elsewhere - far easier to stop all vehicles for absolute safety. Although having said that they do quite regularly ban high-sided vehicles only from the old Severn Bridge don’t they? The volumes are not like the South East and there are alternatives, though not quite as handy as a tunnel.

3300John:
Hiya ,…i can,t see why they don,t let trucks use the blackwall tunnel on windy days …it would ease the queue on the bridge.
I know they say Polution(LEZ) but for certain the traffic standing on the M25 makes the same amout of polution.IF thats
the problem…to which i think is CRAP they just hate trucks.Cars over the top and the use of the blackwall for some trucks.
John

you can use the blackwall tunnel any day windy or not!
unless of course you are over height but at 4.72 m you would have to be pretty high

They get their kicks from seeing the traffic held up.

Same yesterday on the ouse bridge on the 62 at goole. Closed to high siders so everything went through goole and over Boothferry bridge to Howden then back on. Now at the time I was there there was virtually no wind and certainly not enought to warrent a closure, ok it may of been bad an hour earlier but why hold the restriction on when no need. Boothferry bridge aint designed for the amount of trucks that use the 62. Yes you can pass one another reasonably easily but it can be a tad tight.

So cars travelling Southbound use the Bridge, and the trucks southbound use the bores… Great idea!!

Suppose the poor saps trying to head north just park up then■■?

FFS… :unamused:

jimti:

3300John:
John

unless of course you are over height but at 4.72 m you would have to be pretty high

Hiya …don,t think so if you,ve not got a LEZ cert truck …I can,t even go through with my 54 reg motor home
after easter 2011 and the emissions are almost zero…The M25 is about the boundry.You know the Scania agent on
the old A13 thats out of bounds for none LEZ trucks now.
John

3300John:

jimti:

3300John:
John

Hiya …don,t think so if you,ve not got a LEZ cert truck …I can,t even go through with my 54 reg motor home
after easter 2011 and the emissions are almost zero…The M25 is about the boundry.You know the Scania agent on
John

Ah sorry, I get what you were on about now :blush:
Mind you I would guess 90% of the trucks stuck on the M25 could have used the Blackwall tunnel, The queues would be horrendous though I would think, last time I was around that part of town they shut the Blackwall (Saturday of Sunday, I can’t remember) and queues out of town to the QE2 were bad enough, it took me 3 hours just to get from the Isle of Dogs to the A13/M25 junction so doing it the other way would be a lot worse IMHO

jimti:

3300John:

jimti:

3300John:
John

John

Ah sorry, I get what you were on about now :blush:
Mind you I would guess 90% of the trucks stuck on the M25 could have used the Blackwall tunnel, The queues would be horrendous though I would think, last time I was around that part of town they shut the Blackwall (Saturday of Sunday, I can’t remember) and queues out of town to the QE2 were bad enough, it took me 3 hours just to get from the Isle of Dogs to the A13/M25 junction so doing it the other way would be a lot worse IMHO

Hiya…how did we manage when there was only one pipe with 2 way traffic, and the queue did,nt seem to bad did it.
John