2 man non essential travel

the nodding donkey:

jakethesnake:
I condemn idiots and the selfish ones that can’t follow simple rules. I have praise for many especially the half a million volunteers . The minority always let us down.

Do the half a million volunteers get checked to see if they are clear, before they are going around, potentially spreading the virus among the vulnerable?

I’m not having a go at the volunteers, they are better people than me, but how are these 500.000 individuals monitored for their health, and safe working practices?

I do know they check for criminal records and I presume most will be keeping the safe distance at all times but I doubt there will be contact between them and who they are helping.
The organisers really would not be stupid enough to even dream of spreading the virus further.

To be fair, if I could have self contained before yesterday I would have, much like a lot of people still out working. Unfortunately, I like everyone else have bills to pay so until my manager told me officially not to come I had to keep going. I did make the judgment call that I really didn’t need to come into close contact with anybody whilst doing my job so that made the decision easier.
It’s all very well all you on here slagging people off for still delivering non essential things, I’m happy for you that you don’t need to go to work but many have to, pure economics I’m afraid.

Unfortunately free-market economies are not suited to a crisis like the current one. My personal belief is that communism removes social classes and creates a more equal society. When a free-market economy suddenly says you can’t do what you want anymore, this is hugely problematic.

The government has known that something like this could happen. It has allowed people to scrape together a living on zero hours at the discretion of the bourgeoisie. There is no wonder people don’t have savings to fall back on. The disaster buildings could have been built and mothballed years ago and the ventilators could have been in storage.

Now we find what is essential and what isn’t while the traders sit at home with thousands in the bank looking at every opportunity to short the market or ride the gains to make even more money. Meanwhile the social classes put themselves in the firing line and keep the country going through the crisis.

nomiS36:
To be fair, if I could have self contained before yesterday I would have, much like a lot of people still out working. Unfortunately, I like everyone else have bills to pay so until my manager told me officially not to come I had to keep going. I did make the judgment call that I really didn’t need to come into close contact with anybody whilst doing my job so that made the decision easier.
It’s all very well all you on here slagging people off for still delivering non essential things, I’m happy for you that you don’t need to go to work but many have to, pure economics I’m afraid.

Oh, I thought the goverment had said nobody would suffer through this crisis and have laid a very substantial sum aside. Silly me. :laughing:

Alant:
So sat in birch services having 30 mins and parking alongside is a rigid when 2 people get out and go get a costa . Guess what they are delivering according to the writing on the side , roses !!!
What part of 2 m distance and non essential travel dont these guys get .

And you know for a fact they had roses on? The wagons I drive have Howdens Joinery plastered over the side and I’ve collected crisps from Walkers and potatoes from farms in the past.

Lorries from all kinds of companies are subbying out to large companies and supermarket chains.

jakethesnake:

nomiS36:

Oh, I thought the goverment had said nobody would suffer through this crisis and have laid a very substantial sum aside. Silly me. :laughing:

It wasn’t clear, to me anyway, that if I rang work and said I wasn’t going in because I was self isolating, I would get the 80% of my salary. Now they have closed down and told us we are to no longer go to work and we will get 80% of our salaries I’m am happy to go home and stay there. Simple as that really.

I can scrape by on 80%…I can’t on 0%.

jakethesnake:
Silly me. :laughing:

It’s not often we agree but I’ll make an exception in this case! :wink:

It’s all very well and good pontificating and criticising from a position of having a pension, a lifetime of savings, no mortgage or other significant outgoings. Unfortunately not everyone is in that position.

The 80% thingymagig ONLY applies when a worker is furloughed by his/her company. If they elect not to come to work they only receive SSP on £90 odd a week. For a worker with a mortgage and a young family that could potentially see them homeless and very hungry. So whilst they may be very fearful of the risks they also face an agonising decision whether to work or not.

Fortunately for you and I Jake we do not have to make that terrible decision, but I for one cannot with a clear conscience criticise anyone who chooses to carry on with what may deemed non essential work.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

It’s all very well and good pontificating and criticising from a position of having a pension, a lifetime of savings, no mortgage or other significant outgoings. Unfortunately not everyone is in that position.

The 80% thingymagig ONLY applies when a worker is furloughed by his/her company. If they elect not to come to work they only receive SSP on £90 odd a week. For a worker with a mortgage and a young family that could potentially see them homeless and very hungry. So whilst they may be very fearful of the risks they also face an agonising decision whether to work or not.

Fortunately for you and I Jake we do not have to make that terrible decision, but I for one cannot with a clear conscience criticise anyone who chooses to carry on with what may deemed non essential work.

+1. Well said.
Couldn’t have put it better myself…which is why I didn’t [emoji849]

Conor:

Alant:
So sat in birch services having 30 mins and parking alongside is a rigid when 2 people get out and go get a costa . Guess what they are delivering according to the writing on the side , roses !!!
What part of 2 m distance and non essential travel dont these guys get .

And you know for a fact they had roses on? The wagons I drive have Howdens Joinery plastered over the side and I’ve collected crisps from Walkers and potatoes from farms in the past.

Lorries from all kinds of companies are subbying out to large companies and supermarket chains.

No I dont know for a fact that were carrying Rose’s but the way they was dressed suggested they were coming from or to a nursery , but they were double manning which I would not do and are firm has stopped us from doing that .
It’s now a matter of life and death and people need to stop being selfish

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
at least 90 quid is better than jobseekers approx 72…by the time you give the gov back 20% in vat for the messages,then your getting 70 or 56 quid respectively. which is about as useful for a weeks shopping as advice from the jts oracle.
if i needed the money then id be working flat out.
fortunately for me i had decided not to work doing trips from the start of the year to mabey taking an odd one in the summer as im happy building campers as theres a never ending supply of victims lined up buying them,so no change to normal routine for me,but if i had the normal familys mortgaged to death with everything on the drip,then id be doing what i could by hook or by crook to earn whatever i could.

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
at least 90 quid is better than jobseekers approx 72…by the time you give the gov back 20% in vat for the messages,then your getting 70 or 56 quid respectively. which is about as useful for a weeks shopping as advice from the jts oracle.
if i needed the money then id be working flat out.
fortunately for me i had decided not to work doing trips from the start of the year to mabey taking an odd one in the summer as im happy building campers as theres a never ending supply of victims lined up buying them,so no change to normal routine for me,but if i had the normal familys mortgaged to death with everything on the drip,then id be doing what i could by hook or by crook to earn whatever i could.

Not like your usual tang, “I do what I like and what pays, and ■■■■ whatever else” attitude…

At least some are true to there careless attitude. I am. She had it coming anyway .

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

Spot on.

People are still allowed to order online goods. There is no issue here.

The government is even encouraging online ordering to keep the economy ticking over.

As for the 2 man thing. It’s a non issue. They likely spend all week together working. Social distancing is not enforced in households. And for obvious reasons if they are coming from the continent they could well be tramping together.

2 man team, and??.
We deliver to shop at night when they closed. Its called health and safety and security. And places we delivery too we need a shot gun too.
we all dont back on a bay.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

There’s no loopholes, there is no such thing as non essential travel where road haulage is concerned regardless of what people are carrying, driving a truck is essential, and so are the goods inside it, and the people that keep these vehicles running are essential from the driver to the loader.
People still need flowers, for all the funerals of the people that don’t make it, just get on with your own job to keep the country running, just like all other essential workers are doing.

Transport
This includes those who will keep the air, water, road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the COVID-19 response, including those working on transport systems through which supply chains pass.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

I agree with what you say and yes I feel for people who live from week to week and suddenly have no funds however what I don’t agree with is greedy bosses carrying on their business because they think they can ignore what the government say to help stop more people dying and to help the already struggling NHS staff.

It’s a very unusual situation and one that hopefully will not last too long but we all have an important part to play in keeping others safe. Everyone who disregards the “stay at home” message and carry on as normal are only making the situation worse and because of this it will last longer and more will die.

It’s about having a moral concience but unfortunately with some making money always comes first. Once again I do feel for people that will struggle financially but I feel even more sorry for the poor NHS staff and the people that will lose close family because we can’t do what we are told.

[/quote]
I agree with what you say and yes I feel for people who live from week to week and suddenly have no funds however what I don’t agree with is greedy bosses carrying on their business because they think they can ignore what the government say to help stop more people dying and to help the already struggling NHS staff.

It’s a very unusual situation and one that hopefully will not last too long but we all have an important part to play in keeping others safe. Everyone who disregards the “stay at home” message and carry on as normal are only making the situation worse and because of this it will last longer and more will die.

It’s about having a moral concience but unfortunately with some making money always comes first. Once again I do feel for people that will struggle financially but I feel even more sorry for the poor NHS staff and the people that will lose close family because we can’t do what we are told.
[/quote]
+1

Straight from the horses mouth as to who is entitled to furloughed pay, how that pay is calculated and whether or not you can work for someone else whilst still getting the 80% from your normal employer.

gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-w … ion-scheme