1st drama

rabb:
Ended up a storm in a teacup.

Spoke to the transport gaffer when I got off my run today and in a nutshell all that was said was “Just be vigilant when backing in to a loading bay”. I was still insistent that I couldn’t see how that damage could have been done backing on to a bay when all I felt was the slight ‘bump’ when you touch the buffers.

Nothing signed :slight_smile:

Result.

Buy a pack of hankies . . . to keep your nose clean for awhile.

It’ll happen again. Might be a genuine bump on your part, maybe not. You just have to remember that ‘far more experienced drivers have done far worse’. Few weeks ago a van driver forced me to drive onto the island at a roundabout, put a hole in the side of the box. Depot manager looked at it and just shrugged, they deal with this stuff every week. Personal injuries probably cost them more, a driving accident will only cost them the value of their excess.

The first time you damage something and it’s your fault, you’ll feel like crap about it, but just remember that phrase and crack on.

I doubt you’ll be asked to leave, I’ve had a few bumps that were clearly my fault and carried on with the job.
Once in the yard I bumped another truck and another time getting into a tight loading bay.
Both times I carried on working for the company for a while

iomex:
The first time you damage something and it’s your fault, you’ll feel like crap about it, but just remember that phrase and crack on.

I’ve yet to have a accident and I know for sure I will not feel crap about it. Heck I wont give a ■■■■. :grimacing:
It’s all I used to worry about when I first started but now its like when it happens it happens. No point stressing about it.

adam277:

iomex:

I’ve yet to have a accident and I know for sure I will not feel crap about it. Heck I wont give a [zb]. :grimacing:
It’s all I used to worry about when I first started but now its like when it happens it happens. No point stressing about it.

When you have to make the call to the boss to tell them you’ve made a mess of something you will care. It’s not a nice feeling.

The rest of the week went well. The longer the week went the better I felt.

Yesterday I even managed an early finish after getting back to the depot an hour and a half ahead of schedule. On average I’ve been assigned 3 to 5 drops per day.

It’s a whole world away from my last job in IT.

Loving it :smiley:

rabb:
The rest of the week went well. The longer the week went the better I felt.

Yesterday I even managed an early finish after getting back to the depot an hour and a half ahead of schedule. On average I’ve been assigned 3 to 5 drops per day.

It’s a whole world away from my last job in IT.

Loving it :smiley:

I find that the best advice comes from old & wizened drivers with miilions of miles under their belts & one of the best tips I ever had was NOT to run in 1 1/2 hrs ahead of schedule 'cos you become the driver that gets the longest runs.