10 Best Trucks... Ever

Williams9881:

I use to enjoy driving this when I worked for trade team.

The night heater was useless and I could never get the radio to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet that your roses bloomed well though, always an upside to any job! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Williams9881:

Pete.

I wonder if they included the manure into the wages then as well.

the nodding donkey:

windrush:

Williams9881:

Pete.

I wonder if they included the manure into the wages then as well.

Most places do now!!

Juddian:
Some of my favourite lorries i’ve had over the years, each good for the job they had to do, from the days when lorries were specified for a job not one size fits all which so many are now.

In no particular order save approximate timeline…Foden S80/Haulmaster, Leyland Buffalo, ERF A series (■■■■■■■ :sunglasses: ), Scammel Crusader, Leyland Constructor, Daf 2500/2800, Seddon Atkinson 400/401, Scania 110/111/112/113/114 (some of these were day cabs for tight deliveries, perfect urban tractor unit IMHO), Mercedes 1627 and Axor, Volvo FL12, MAN 232/331/ and F90 mainly for its 95mph top end, so i’m told :smiling_imp:

Had lots of motors i disliked for various reasons too, the most memorable were Foden S39/S40, Sed Ack 200/300, Volvo F86/F88/F10/FL7/FL10/FM12, Merc 1625, Daf 2100/2300/2600, Leyland Roadtrain, Leyland Marathon, ERF A/B series (bloody Gardners), Renault G Manager, probably loads more i’ve been glad to forget.

The modern stuff of the last 10/15 years has no interest for me, little in the way of lorry driving pleasure or satisfaction because it’s basically select D and steer now, i know this is an unfashionable view.

Love this post juddain …Your not a badge man ,you like a vehicle for what it does …unlike the modern driver who wants to drive a badge for the ego ,not for the job

Favourite 2 lorries i’ve had long term.
1 Sed Ack 401, ■■■■■■■ Fuller Rockwell, very underrated vehicle, on similar work to competitors who had Scanny 142’s they seemed surprised that the Seddon could stay with them when we ran together, good on fuel, totally reliable, Jake Brake meant almost never using the brakes apart from coming to final rest.

2 Volvo FL12 380, had one as lwb wagon and drag car transporter with a brilliant Lohr 10 car body on it, super low cab which meant it was the perfect lorry for multi drop work, pulled like hell, handled well and ignored snow that stopped almost everything else.

Williams9881:

:laughing: love it… :sunglasses:

Btw- no radio and no night heater, you should have refused point blank to drive it quoting various C&U/H&S bollox… :grimacing:

norb:
Love this post juddain …Your not a badge man ,you like a vehicle for what it does …unlike the modern driver who wants to drive a badge for the ego ,not for the job

Funnily enough Norb, you being a Daf maniacal chap and all that :wink: , the last manual lorry i had for a decent spell was a 57 plate CF460 with that crackin little 16 speed box, i really rated that motor and was sad to see it go cos that’s probably the last manual motor i shall get to drive unless i change jobs (unlikely), it was chuckable, it pulled like a bloody train too and where this modern stuff with auto boxes are frustrating as hell at junctions that thing just romped away.

(I’ve driven same spec CF’s with Arsetronic and it ruins the lorry, same as Axor 430 (as mentioned above), with manual 4 over 4 it’s good working lorry with massive torque from 800rpm, put merc’s auto box in it is just tragic :imp: )

Tell you what that CF reminded me of now i think of it, that 1973 (M reg) Leyland Buffalo, a free revving eager engine mated to a lovely useable gearbox with just about perfect gear ratios for the engine characteristics, no kudos whatsoever of course but who cares, i like lorries that were designed to do a job and give the driver some real lorry driving pleasure made the job not only satisfying but enjoyable too, if that doesn’t sound too corny :blush: , Scammel Crusaders with Rolls engines were similar, lovely Fuller box exhaust stack up the back of the cab same as Buffalo, so you tried to make all your gearchanges clean cos other drivers would be watching the smoke trails over the load for any missed changes :sunglasses: :laughing: .

I suppose what i miss is having to drive the things not just point them, i take other’s points about ease of use and all that and not living in the past, but i’m honestly of the opinion that if the job (loads as well as lorries) required some skill and hard mucky work there wouldn’t be half as many numpties in the game and the wages wouldn’t be stagnant, and as a bonus it would ■■■■■■■■ up agencies completely.

The memorable ‘very much of their time’ trucks were imo.
Sed Atk 401 290E ■■■■■■■■ 13 spd Fuller box.
Ford Transcontinental…as above.
Daf 2800 DKS Superspace.
Leyland Roadtrain ‘Interstate’
Scania 111
Volvo 86.
Volvo 88.
Seddon Atki Stratocruiser.
DAF 95
Iveco Turbostar…very much ahead of it’s time.
Scania 143 450…best truck I have driven.

Eurotech 380 (stop laughing at the back)
Only let me down once, when it caught fire in Gent.

Renault Premium. Don’t laugh, I haven’t been trucking very long and it was the first truck I could call “mine”. Up till that point I was on agency but then I got a full time job and they gave me the slowest and longest rigid on the fleet. Didn’t care as it was mine.

In order of appearance for me anyway

Volvo F89. This was what swayed a teenager that cool trucking and international adventure were on the horizon.

Volvo F12. The laughing man said it all above.

Mercedes 1644 EPS. A really gutsy motor (much better than the 1748) and I really liked that gearbox too. I really liked her.

Scania 143 450. Another vote for a piece of perfection.

Iveco Turbostar 480 & 13 speed Fuller.

My favourite of the lot. It truly knew how to convert lots of diesel into speed, noise and smoke. Weight did not matter, in fact the heavier the better and you could easily guide it through the eye of a needle flat out and it frequently preferred to be in the 3rd lane.
Then there was the sound. From the moment you started it you knew there was serious power under you. Cars just moved out of your way because they thought they could hear a freight train coming through. With that engine, gearbox and driveline combination it was a freight train. Great cab too. A unique motor.

Of the modern stuff nothing really stands out as like modern cars they are all fairly similar without much individuality or personality.

Yes they are all great pieces of kit generally but it’s a benign driving experience. It’s like drinking decaf coffee or alcohol free beer or ■■■ with a condom. If you prefer the real thing you got to go back to the 143 or Turbostar.

Except perhaps for the Scania R580. Although the cab is a bit behind the pack she is the true replacement for the 143 I think.

I am badge snob Norb , it has to say Foden or ERF / ■■■■■■■ or I not interested ,I’ll no mention gearboxes :blush: :blush: :blush:

Punchy Dan:
I am badge snob Norb , it has to say Foden or ERF / ■■■■■■■ or I not interested ,I’ll no mention gearboxes :blush: :blush: :blush:

Speaking as somebody who has both owned and driven numerous ERFs and swore by ■■■■■■■ once over Dan, ( and no offence here btw) do you not think it’s a bit like owning and running a Ford Cortina when you could run a modern top range Mondeo ?
As much as I liked them at the time, personally there is no way in hell I would swap my modern truck for one now

The trucks of their time for me were by time order:
F88. Comfortable, quick, economical enough for its work rate, and reliable. F10 or F12. Same as above and the GlobeTrotter set new standards. DAF Super Space Cab from the 430 onwards. The early ones with the 400 Leyland engine were comfortable but none too good on power/economy/reliability, and the ■■■■■■■ 500 was better on power but not fuel use. DAF SSC could still be up there with the leaders up to Euro 5 but ONLY with a 16 speed box. The auto puts them out of the running totally. Good balance between power/fuel/reliability without paying for the badges of the Swedes. Good solid unfussy trucks. Euro 6 is introducing problems for all the manufacturers, and some are falling at this hurdle. The new Scania could well be the current best of the bunch. The cab interior is good. Very well thought out. I havent driven the vehicle myself, but talking to someone who has, it apparently is a good drive. Auto box is better than the previous already competent Scania box, and streets ahead of the DAF thing. Good economy, better than the older Scanias, and no reason to think itll fall below Scanias good reliability record. Good residuals are on the cards too. Well looked after Scannies have always been easy to sell.

I also nominate the Scania 143 450, the last truck I had that didn’t have a speed limiter fitted, although it wasn’t long before it had to have one :frowning: , this thing had been into feathers with the previous owners, over the top on the A66 @ 38 tonnes without changing gear, the following 2 brand new V8s I had after it couldn’t manage it, best motor I have ever driven, have an R450 now and its gutless in comparison.

Another vote for the underrated Ivecos of the day. I drove a Turbo ( the narrow cabbed twin of the Turbostar), with the Twin Splitter, and enjoyed my time in that. Not a phenomenal puller, but adequate and reliable on U.K. work. It was replaced by a Euro star, which was a nice cab to live in. Getting dressed standing up :grimacing: .

Best trucks I’ve driven?

DAF 106 XF SSC
Iveco TURBO
Volvo FH 12

Loathsome piles of catsick…

Seddon Atkinson 301… one week away in that, I nearly torched the pile of junk.
Mercedes with semi auto box. DRRRRR neutral…DRRRRRR neutral DRRRRRR neutral. …
Ford cargo with top sleeper… 310 asthmatic horses…
ERF e10 (I think)

Edit, I forgot the abomination that is the Scania P cab… a true punishment for any driver unlucky enough to be assigned one…

See a lot mentioning about reliability of Scania, however several of my customers complain about the extreme fast wearing of steering joints, e.g. The drop links on double steers and the trackrod, draglink and rear steer cylinder balljoints.
Some replace several of them inside a year.
The other one is brakes, many struggle at MOT time, with progressive secondary brakes throwing problems.
Cracking and corroding chassis cross members (mainly tippers)

The new Euro six en future Euro 6 C and D causing all manufacturers problems and Scania is no better than any other.
Because many operators like Scania, many problems will “be forgotten”
There is of course the residuals which are generally higher (not so much for mid-lift) but you pay a premium when you buy.

If I had to do it all again, while being a big Volvo fan over the years, my bet would be on Mercedes.

The thing I must give Scania is there resistance to rust of the cab, most elderly cabs look still solid.

Regarding the Iveco Turbo star, I had 2 with the Fiat V8 engine, brilliant engine, but the first one burnt out in Italy(electrical fault), the second one got written off on the Rollende Landstrasse by a truck where the parking brake failed while they didn’t notice it until arrived in Freiburg.
So it had been bashing the truck in don’t and back for hours.
After that the boss, wouldn’t never go,close to one ever again.

newmercman:
Without doubt it has to be the Scania 143-450, no other lorry has combined power, economy, reliability and desirability in the same way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

with the V8?

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

Speaking as somebody who has both owned and driven numerous ERFs and swore by ■■■■■■■ once over Dan, ( and no offence here btw) do you not think it’s a bit like owning and running a Ford Cortina when you could run a modern top range Mondeo ?
As much as I liked them at the time, personally there is no way in hell I would swap my modern truck for one now

True , but having not driven foreign lorries I know no better ,not that I would expect a driver to drive my wagon when better is possibly avalible ,however for me it’s about whats left out the job .

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

True , but having not driven foreign lorries I know no better ,not that I would expect a driver to drive my wagon when better is possibly avalible ,however for me it’s about whats left out the job .

Right I see, but do you mean you have never driven one as a driver on one, or that you have never had a go in one ever ?
If it’s the second option, …Christ would you find a difference !

It’s a bit like this, same thing, same principle but…

vanessa-feltz-large.jpg

Get my drift ? :laughing:

caledoniandream:
Regarding the Iveco Turbo star, I had 2 with the Fiat V8 engine, brilliant engine,

Was it the Magirus Deutz V8. If so, 17litre twin turbo air cooled monster of an engine :sunglasses:

Im still a big Volvo fan but one of the best trucks i ever had was the MAN 19-462 with the 17litre V10. A real shame MAN didnt develop this further over the years…