Your ideal truck?

With all the discussion on this forum about “I want that truck”, what REALLY is the best truck to drive (obviously in ones own opinion)?

And why?

Whats most important to you, is it looks / comfort / power?

And no I don’t work for any truck manufacturer type thing or whatever.

My personal choice after much deliberation, and having driven Scanias, Mercs and Volvos, is the Volvo. Ive driven an FL10 and an FM, either one suits me just fine, they usually do what you want them to do, within their own limitations, and theyre super comfy, the FM looks quite sleek but maybe the FL looks a bit silly.

Although I am very fond of the Kenworths for their comfort and supreme power, but theres no point including american / australian trucks in the poll.

I’m only a rigid driver and the best I’ve driven so far was an FL7 6 wheeler, which was also one of the oldest I’ve driven.

Might be getting a brand new Stralis 6 wheeler soon though, so that opinion might change.

Andyroo:
I’m only a rigid driver and the best I’ve driven so far was an FL7 6 wheeler, which was also one of the oldest I’ve driven.

Might be getting a brand new Stralis 6 wheeler soon though, so that opinion might change.

Used to drive an old (1984) F7 8 legger, and i loved the bloody thing

I saw an X reg F7 beavertail 4 wheeler on ebay recently for about 1500 quid it looked in good order and was only down in essex. If I had somewhere to keep a lorry and some spare cash I’d have bought it.

I’ve only ever driven old and well used Volvos…all FL6 or FL7 and I’d much rather have one of them than the DAF LF and CF things that everywhere seems to have nowadays. The DAFs aren’t terrible, but I find the ride better on Volvos.

Have to say one thing about the only Scania I’ve ever driven, which was a day cabbed 6 wheeler…that had a good ride too.

I’m interested to see what the Stralis is like…I do like the Ivecos I’ve driven in the past and I’ve driven nearly everything from the Daily van to to a Six wheel Eurotech…the automatic might be an improvement over the slap over range change in the Eurotech!

Andyroo:
I’m interested to see what the Stralis is like…I do like the Ivecos I’ve driven in the past and I’ve driven nearly everything from the Daily van to to a Six wheel Eurotech…the automatic might be an improvement over the slap over range change in the Eurotech!

Far as i know the stralis auto is two pedals, as opposed to the scania’s opti-cruise which has the clutch which makes for much more control when reversing, not sure if the volvo ishift has a clutch as well, id say it does.

Only been on HGV’s for 7 years,all with the same firm. Fleet is predominantly DAF(XF &CF).We have a couple of Mercs,which I’ve never driven,so can’t comment on. Used to have a couple of FH12’s,I found these uncomfortable. My back-side was numb after a couple of hours driving and the seat would not go back far enough for my liking. Also the matress on the bunk was too thin.

I love the XF,can’t fault it. After 2 Space Cabs,am now on a SuperSpace.Oodles of storage space and plenty of room to stand to get dressed. Brilliant machine :smiley: :smiley:

If it had to be an off-the-shelf truck then it would be an early Volvo FH16 520 GTXL cab

If it could be a mixture of bits from other trucks then it would comprise

Merc Actros Mega-space cab for the interior space and flat floor
DAF XF bunk
Early Volvo FH night heater for ease of use and sheer heating power
Merc Actros twin arm rests on driver’s seat

DAF ZF16 manual gear box
Scania V8 engine
Scania 5 stage manual retarder but also Volvo’s auto hill-hold too
Early Volvo FH/FM steering rack and steering wheel
Merc brakes
Early Volvo FH/FM mirrors
Volvo FH outside storage lockers
Early Volvo FH/FM air suspension control box (the long one with levers on it)

oh and DAFs indicator noise!! Can’t beat that “pock” sound and it’s far better than Volvo’s “chip” chirping noise :angry: .

:laughing:

One thing I’ve noticed and mentioned before is that DAF brakes aren’t very progressive in my opinion…a bit all or nothing, that’s the main reason I dislike them…I think I might have adjusted my driving style to it by now though cos I haven’t driven anything that wasn’t a DAF for a long time now.

XF SSC wins hands down.

I thought the Premium would have been high on your list Rob■■? :laughing: :laughing:

I have to say,that if it’s an off the shelf truck,then I’ve always enjoyed Volvo’s.

Got talking to a couple of guys earlier this week,who have 57 plate Globey’s,and it was remarked that along with SC and SSC Daf’s,how Volvo’s have a great presence when on the road,and tend to stand out.

If like Rob has said,and you could have a mix and match,then I wouldn’t know where to start.

Ken.

Quinny:
I thought the Premium would have been high on your list Rob■■? :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

The only thing I’d have out of a Premium is the standard sound system and steering wheel controls for it. :smiley:

I would defo agree with you there Rob.

I think the Premium’s sound sysytem is second to none.

Ken.

I’m a bit of a Stralis fanboy but for good reason, I like the looks, the layout and the general design, its not a pricey motor but it’ll hold its own and I think its a decent compromise the others.

However I SERIOUSLY like the dash on the new MAN-TGA…looks like its straight out of a high end Audi, lovely stuff.

But give me the option of any new motor to drive daily and live in I would go for a Stralis.

Alex

:confused: Going by the options above, would anyone actually prefer the 95 (pre XF) to the XF95 ? :question:

I was always a Scania fan - took my class 1 on a Scania 81, drove a 92 rigid, then an R112M on continental, bought my own (ex Dockspeed ) R113 topline as an owner driver. However after ceasing to be an O/D and a few years out of the industry I am now driving an Actos Megaspace MP2 2550 V8, and have to admit I think it’s the dogs do-das :laughing:

Only driven an FM7 up to now so I`ve voted for that - have drove a 7.5t Merc but that had far too much plastic to warrant a vote :laughing:

Been lucky enought to have driven a good range ,and even have the new renault premium (demo) nice motor (450 goes well and auto box is smooth) ((VOLVO )
my own unit is a Actros it is better in my opinion ,i personaly think merc have got the cab down to a tee !

Altho i have a big soft spot for F16 globies ! :laughing:

Judging by your avatar,you fond of Globies. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

I drive a premium now but i’d rather have the stralis which if i do my class 1 then that what i’m having.
Breedy

I like driving the truck I get paid the most in.
at the moment its a 105 XF