Your ideal truck?

From what I’ve driven, a Mercedes-Benz Actros MegaSpace. Without a doubt.

Don’t mind what the numbers are, but a 2546, or even a 2544 would suit my current job pretty well. :wink:

New Stralis looks nice too.

This topic has been a great read so far :slight_smile: ,cheers beattum.
What i have noticed is that as i suspected there is no such thing as a bad truck anymore,although scania have made a real u-turn on popularity.
Personally ,once i have plenty of power thats the main thing.
I voted merc as i have just got one and am still smitten :sunglasses:

Like Andyroo i’m also a rigid driver,however the only truck i’ve not driven is the Renualt. At the mo i’m on a “Y” plate volvo FL,
the oldest one i’ve driven was a 91 Merc 6 legger ro-ro skip(cable op) that was an experience. Also a 93 Iveco eurotech pantecnican ( i think thats right spelling!) on removals which i took to France a few times.
Also a 98 Leyland DAF 85 again on removals to France.
have driven 06 DAF CF85,not brill for nighting out regular, 55 plate CF65 sleeper cab curtainsider.Did like DAF found easy driving.
57 plate MAN 12T on vehicle removals. Found seat bit hard but not bad
even with what i’ve driven still voted volvo

The boss has ordered me the new MAN-Diesel TGS due July sometime i think. Will make a nice upgrade from my current ERF ECS 380, which is a bit of an ugly duckling to say the least. Roll on the summer! :sunglasses:

Andyroo:
One thing I’ve noticed and mentioned before is that DAF brakes aren’t very progressive in my opinion…a bit all or nothing, that’s the main reason I dislike them…I think I might have adjusted my driving style to it by now though cos I haven’t driven anything that wasn’t a DAF for a long time now.

You need a day out with me around Norwich mate.

Dogmatix:

Andyroo:
One thing I’ve noticed and mentioned before is that DAF brakes aren’t very progressive in my opinion…a bit all or nothing, that’s the main reason I dislike them…I think I might have adjusted my driving style to it by now though cos I haven’t driven anything that wasn’t a DAF for a long time now.

You need a day out with me around Norwich mate.

I’ve had a day out round Norwich doing your job in the past mate! I’m glad you seem to have taken to the job though, I couldn’t stick it…much happier on the hiab work.

You’ve been in our yard at keyline a couple of times recently I think haven’t you?

Did the foreman tell you off for not waiting at the gate and asking to come in? I saw him go over to you while I was tieing on the other week.

DAFMAD:
:? Going by the options above, would anyone actually prefer the 95 (pre XF) to the XF95 ? :question:

ME

FL 10 a proper motor,one that you are glad to get out of at the weekend… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can we have pics please?

Between agencies and trade plating I’ve driven so many I can’t remember which is what :smiley:

Cheers guys, great response to this topic, very enjoyable read so far! keep it up!

Seems like Volvo are taking all the trophies so far, I had my suspicions that would be the case, even though I love Scanias to look at it, we all know theres more to it than that!

Dafman:

DAFMAD:
:? Going by the options above, would anyone actually prefer the 95 (pre XF) to the XF95 ? :question:

ME

OK, no probs, why is that mate ?

every lorry has got at least one vote except old MANs, old DAFs and old Scanias!

interesting, quite like the scania 81 myself

one of paddys finest
SCANIA V8 WITH FUSE REMOVED :wink: :wink:

Given the choice, as an employed driver I would go for a DAF XF SSC.

I had an old (pre XF) 95 SC for 18 months, a very pleasant truck to live in and drive. Then I started at another place and had an XF SC. A big step up in comfort, as far as I was concerned (that mattress is HUGE and deep). Never mind that the gaffer is paying me to work, not sleep :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I find myself wondering why a) DAFMAD asked that question,
and b) why anyone in there right mind would prefer the old 95 to the 95 XF Dafman :stuck_out_tongue: .
The 95 was a fantastic drivers cab IN IT’S DAY. The XF cab was just the same, only bigger.
Although, thinking about it, that wardrobe was dead handy.

did nobody like the old 111? :astonished:

beattun:
did nobody like the old 111? :astonished:

Think Russell Davies was pretty keen on them. :wink: :smiley: :laughing:

I voted for the R series scania (topliner).

Personally speaking they’re the best looking wagon on the road.

Why do some drivers think scanias are bobbins?

definitely a R series Scania topliner, i’ve driven a few and the 530 and 580 would take some beating

i’ve voted for the merc drove nothing but for a while. the scania’s i was in were beat up old 420’s no guts so can’t really comment on those, but if it weren’t the merc i voted for it would have been the m a n xxl manual box, plenty off comfort and decent power.

truckertim:
I was always a Scania fan - took my class 1 on a Scania 81, drove a 92 rigid, then an R112M on continental, bought my own (ex Dockspeed ) R113 topline as an owner driver. However after ceasing to be an O/D and a few years out of the industry I am now driving an Actos Megaspace MP2 2550 V8, and have to admit I think it’s the dogs do-das :laughing:

HI tim,
Have you any pics of the ex dockspeed truck or can you remember the reg number for me.Paul