What was the best truck of the eighties

i never drove in the 80,s so this is based on looks only but for me it was the 3600 spacecab daf awsome looking tool and from what ive been told very comfy and reliable

Nope, it was the hino or the sed atki!!! :laughing:

Well it certainly was not the 1626 merc. I could pee faster.(sorry).

The volvo F12 Globetrotter, :slight_smile: in the eightys/f89s in the seventies
Air con (standard)
Air ride cab (standard)
Leather seats (standard)
Stand up cab with storage space
Night heater that heated the water as well to keep the engine warm as well as the cab,
A real prestige truck
Good to drive nice steering full syncro gearbox (rare in the early eighties)
Flying machine Penrith to Dover 5h30m before the m25 was thowt on,
Bad points! brakes crap bad to stop from 75mph/5mpg :confused: if lucky
well before its time they have been going backwards ever since :frowning:
My FH 520 now has over 12k in extras to achieve nearly the same spec.

charlie one:
Well it certainly was not the 1626 merc. I could pee faster.(sorry).

Also known as:
Hitlers revenge,or
The German Atki,or
A recycled Messerschmit.

Scania 142 & 143. According to many, these were the last of the good Scanias.

Among other things in the 80’s I drove a DAF 2300…promoted to a 2500 (now we are really going places!!) F88, Mercedes 2028 (it was terrible underpowered and rolled a bit too) a Scania 111 (very nice) and for a few trips an Iveco Turbostar with a 420 engine in it…a bit different from that 2300 I started on.
Overall the Scania 111 was the best.

When I worked for R and A freight in Soton,I had a 340 Renault Frogtrotter which I swapped with another driver for a 220 42 Iveco Turbostar.What a puller.Problem was it was only half the size of the Renault.I had to get rid of half my gear.Also the boss made me stick to 80ks because I was only getting about 5 to the gallon.

R&A Freight, well theres a blast from the past Charlie. Bet you stayed clear of the “KGB”. Oops sorry pardon . Silly me I must have meant BKG. Good old Brian Kenneth “G” Wonder why he always called himserlf “Roy”.■■?

Didn’t he fancy himself as a bit of a fooyballer and named himself after Roy of the Rovers?

the frogtrotter had the best cab in them days storage everywhere ,shame they did not pull to well
,i had mine boosted to 365 in holland but it still seemed gutless

Leyland Marathon :confused: ■■

or was that the '70’s :unamused:

that was the 70s

Dave Jenkins:
that was the 70s

jeez I’m getting old

Yes Dave you’re right about the Frogtrotter.Bags of space.Cupboards everywhere Comfortable to drive, but wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I still reckon the 2800/3300/3600 was a tool to beat having owned 3 and driven many others.

Turboliner Frogtrotter was a quiet comfy truck but lacked a little bit of oomph till the 365 came out.

At the end of the DAF rule and they built that excuse of a 95, my tastes changed to favour the 21 series MAN

My favourite truck was (possibly still is) the 3600 Space Cab, I had a D reg one that was allegedly “Dutch Spec” probably no more than someone winding the pump out ! It went like **** off a shovel and no limiter :smiley: Those were the days :cry:

mikey1:
My favourite truck was (possibly still is) the 3600 Space Cab, I had a D reg one that was allegedly “Dutch Spec” probably no more than someone winding the pump out ! It went like **** off a shovel and no limiter :smiley: Those were the days :cry:

I thought all DAF Trucks were Dutch spec :stuck_out_tongue:

You probably mean the ones that didnt have rear cab windows.

going on what my dad drove, id have to say the 142 (greg50 will remember the black and red one!)

although i do recall a few old mercs and quite liking them, however having driven a 1990 merc recently it nearly reduced me to tears trying to get up hills with 24 tonne

Allways liked the F12 Globetrotter myself