What was the best truck of the eighties

Stupot:
i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31 … 1197719892

Always liked the F12 Globetrotter myself
[/quote]

What about the Ford Transcontinental…it was the Magnum of its day…

Hi Stupot and wheelnut who know’s where that globetrotter was from?, as i live in maidstone and i have seen that motor working out of sheerness only a couple of years ago.I nearly gave myself whiplash as i turned round to get a good look at it the first time i saw it.I was so shocked to see a classic motor like that,that had not been sold for export.Here is a couple of pics of some more classic trucks.Paul
photos courtesy of Pat kennet

and Trucker Ash

That globetrotter must be just about on the facelift changeover, it has the new tank although still has twin headlights and alloy bumper. Like everything new until you get used to them they seem to spoil the later one.

I had an X plate that still used the old door decals. F1017 which was replaced by a DD Needham hand me down. It never seemed as good :frowning:

I would have put the Transcontinental in with the 70’s trucks. too heavy and too much for the conservative general haulage industry at the time

killsville:
Scania 142 & 143. According to many, these were the last of the good Scanias.

Although I’m not a particular fan of Scanias per se,I must admit to having been seduced by the V8 in any form.When I was on for Expo Freight,I had a 142 and the cab suspension was crap,only sprung at the back so the cab was nodding al the time.But despite the stiff neck,had to keep smiling as it pulled like a ■■■■■■■■
Going down the M6 at 04.00 this morning,I was overtaken by not one,but two Scania 143’s with twin straight through stacks.I must admit,I nearly creamed my jeans!

Terrible ride,but went like the clappers!

Out of all the motors I’ve driven,this was the best.Not new by any means,but went very well,and you could live withit!

that tooleys f12 is nice :smiley:

Loved my F10

[/img]

Left Armstrongs for Gallercher Bros onto D reg 142 went well but still got a bad back today (solid tyres I think :laughing: )

greek:
Loved my F10

Left Armstrongs for Gallercher Bros onto D reg 142 went well but still got a bad back today (solid tyres I think :laughing: )

greek,
As I mentioned in my earlier post on the 142,it was that crap cab suspension where only the rear of the cab had sprung mounts.The front was solid,the drivers seat was supposed to be some sort of suspension seat but it tended to rock backwards and forwards in time with the nodding of the cab.Together they gave your back a hard time.
Didn’t I read somewhere that drivers were having a go at Scania going back some years,for back problems caused by their drivers seats?

charlie one:
Well it certainly was not the 1626 merc. I could pee faster.(sorry).

My dad had a 1626 from new. I loved that motor cos it carried me all over europe with him. :smiley: .
I remember it had a bloody massive steering wheel and a starter button.
It went like stink once he`d wound it up but show it a hill (or an alp :open_mouth: ) and it curled up and died :laughing: :laughing: .
I still like the sound of that old merc engine.

Hi Postman Paul, is it the F12 with “The Joker” on the cab you are asking about? If so then that would be Bob Edwards from Southampton. He started back in the 70’s (early). He had two trucks both named after playing cards, The Joker and I think the other was Ace of Spades. He was quite a “character”.
I,m sure Charlie 1 will know him as well. He used to book 4 or 5 trucks on the ferry then tell them only two could make it. I’m sure you know what I mean!
He ended up having an all expenses paid holiday for quite a time,but did not have a choice on the resort. I’d love to tell you the whole story as it is very interesting but that would have to be in private.

This one in the 80’s.I thought the TL12 engined Marathon was fast until I got this :smiley: .

I also had a Scania 112M day cab which was a good tool.I came off the road in 1986 and went shunting and heard bad reports about the newer Scannies after that.

My goodness. I do remember the Joker very well indeed.He used to be the service manager for Volvo in Soton.Kept a nice clean truck.Will be in touch with you TIR Original for the story.

Hi TIR ORIGINAL thanks for the info about the joker f12 globetrotter,he must have sold it to davies transport (are they in southampton?) because that is the same truck in the other photo.Maybe it was taken from him when he went to live in the big house.The original question was actually about the tooleys globetrotter though.Cheers Paul

Hi charlie one,that must be him in the photo i think the pic was taken for volvo by pat kennet it was one of the very first globetrotters in the country and if he worked for volvo he may have had inside information about buying one and getting it promoted by them,well who wouldn’t? Here’s another question does anybody else have any info on some of the first globetrotters in the uk.cheers Paul

the first 2 i ever saw were at rydales chingford both left hookers on w reg a white one with green stripe like sca and marroon or brown of nicholls enfield

Peter Cooks of Durham had quite a few Globetrotters in their early yrs probably the first in the North East but maybe not the rest of the country :question:

postman paul:
Hi TIR ORIGINAL thanks for the info about the joker f12 globetrotter,he must have sold it to davies transport (are they in southampton?) because that is the same truck in the other photo.Maybe it was taken from him when he went to live in the big house.The original question was actually about the tooleys globetrotter though.Cheers Paul

Tooleys came out of Colchester in Essex

Hi Paul,about the “Joker”. It ended up being owned and driven by the original driver. (when Bob went on holiday). The story goes that it was a gift from Bobs’ mother but wether or not that is strictly true I cannot say. In the b&w photo at the top you can see Bob Edwards on the door and as you can see by the registration No. it is from Hampshire “AA” (registered at Winchester). I am going to relate the whole story to Charlie later on but it is very intricate and also very interesting. Starting from where the money came from for the start up, until the holiday thingy. Believe you me it would make a good book or film ha ha!!
Dont know if it will all go into an e-mail. May have to have a meet or do it on the phone. Anyway the later history of the truck I dont know and I dont do guessing.

I went to Crossroads Commercials in Hull to see a line up of new Globetrotters for Mr Yeardley.

it was like a day out with film stars :stuck_out_tongue: I know a couple of owner drivers who bought them used, a few years later and they are still running them.

Wheel Nut:
I went to Crossroads Commercials in Hull to see a line up of new Globetrotters for Mr Yeardley.

it was like a day out with film stars :stuck_out_tongue: I know a couple of owner drivers who bought them used, a few years later and they are still running them.

there are 4 people to “blame” :wink: for my career in long distance trucking - my parents for taking me to the great yorkshire show in 1981, brian yeardley for putting a brand new F12 gobstopper on show, and crossroads’ salesman for letting me sit in it :smiley:

mum,mum this wagon’s got a cooker… and a SINK! :open_mouth: :laughing: