Height Measuring Stick

Presumably that,s what it’s called but where would you get one?
global.

Make your own, just get a broom handle then glue garment measuring tape on it bobs yir uncle :wink:

I’ve got one, but I call it a tape measure.

jacksonhandling.co.uk/height … p-650.html

Few on ebay too, not cheap, but then, neither is a bridge strike insurance claim.

It baffles me why all trailers simply don’t have their overall depth marked on the headboard, so all you would need to do is measure from the bottom of the trailer to the road surface, and then add the two figures together to give your overall height.

You can do it by eye.

Saaamon:
You can do it by eye.

To within 4 to 6 inches I agree.

knight:

I have one of those, a good industrial strength one too, but Sod’s Law dictates that whatever the height of the trailer, the end will bend over and fall to the floor when it gets two inches from the roof. :cry:

Harry Monk:

knight:

I have one of those, a good industrial strength one too, but Sod’s Law dictates that whatever the height of the trailer, the end will bend over and fall to the floor when it gets two inches from the roof. :cry:

Oh my god this is so frustrating, carrying a lot of plant and tractors I’m always measuring and this always happens when on your own. It’s much easier if you can get someone to hold the dumb end lol

I think the RHA do them sticks.

a sweeping broom is about thirty bob. you hang the head of said broom over highest part of said load or trailer after measuring length of broom handle from bottom of head to handle end, then measure from bottom of handle to ground, add the two together and bingo :smiley:

global:
Presumably that,s what it’s called but where would you get one?
global.

My employer.

Harry Monk:

knight:

so just add 2 inches to what you measure it at :slight_smile:

Harry Monk:
It baffles me why all trailers simply don’t have their overall depth marked on the headboard, so all you would need to do is measure from the bottom of the trailer to the road surface, and then add the two figures together to give your overall height.

Mathematics and lorry drivers, chalk and cheese. Need I say more :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Harry Monk:

Mathematics and lorry drivers, chalk and cheese. Need I say more :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I thought you had to be quite good at maths, calculating time, distance to average speed etc :unamused:

I’ve got a telescopic decorators pole, made by Harris, which extends up to 5m. I’ve bolted a shelf bracket (made of 10mm square ali) to the top part of this, so I can hang the bracket from the top of the trailer and extend the pole to the floor, then measure it on the ground. The bracket also fits nicely through the centre of a rolled-up strap, so makes it easier to thread the strap over the top of a load and under the top of the trailer.

At a push it could also be used to tap on the roof of a car in lane 3 whilst you’re in lane 1 if you really wanted to wind somebody up :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Total cost about a tenner :slight_smile:

Gary

10-08:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Harry Monk:

I thought you had to be quite good at maths, calculating time, distance to average speed etc :unamused:

Chill out precious, I was just depicting the fact of what most of the general public portrays your average lorry driver to be like. :wink:

if you have one of these on the back of your cab,

aluminumwashbrush_.jpg
extend it to the height of your trailer, mark the pole, then get one of these

and measure from the top of your pole to your mark

a good Stanley FatMax 8metre measuring tape is about an 1inch wide, and you should be able to put the stupid end on the ground and run the ‘good’ end up the trailer and it wont fold bend or twist.

kindle530:

What a ginger bloke? :open_mouth:
I’m going to check for that as soon as I get home :laughing:

10-08:

kindle530:

What a ginger bloke? :open_mouth:
I’m going to check for that as soon as I get home :laughing:

I checked the back of my cab just before I left, and I’ve definately not got a ginger bloke on the back - thank ■■■■ :laughing: