Trailer heights - again!

Now I know this has been done to death but I’m struggling to find a definitive answer.

How do you personally set the trailer height?

Do you set it to the height marked up on the trailer?

Do you guess and add a few inches to be sure?

Is there a set formula for working it out?

Yes I know to use a tape measure, infact I got a new heavy duty one today for just that. But to impress an assessor I don’t fancy faffing about with a tape measure 13-15 foot in the air lol. The way I would do it is to measure down to a point, then measure up to the same point and add together, but I would feel a bit strange getting me phone out and start doing sums.

There must be an easier way surely?

Find a long piece of wood and measure it for the upper part of the height then tape measure for the rest

There are some extending measuring sticks on the market with a piece that makes an L shape at the top - I bet someone on here knows where to get them …

Yes I know to use a tape measure, infact I got a new heavy duty one today for just that. But to impress an assessor I don’t fancy faffing about with a tape measure 13-15 foot in the air lol. The way I would do it is to measure down to a point, then measure up to the same point and add together, but I would feel a bit strange getting me phone out and start doing sums.

It needn’t be higher mathematics; if you’re measuring “up and down” (as I would) make sure the first measurement is a number of feet (no inches). Or, if metric, make sure it’s in exact metres - probably 2 metres. Then measure the remainder and the sums should be quite easy. But if you need to scribble it down or use your phone, so what? You can spend a minute sorting this out before you leave or spend a couple of hours stuck under a bridge. Bad news!

There’s no substitute for preparation and no job that can’t stand 1 minute while you do it. Any properly trained assessor will be perfectly happy for you to spend a little time sorting this.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle–dri … ice_-.html

ROG:
There are some extending measuring sticks on the market with a piece that makes an L shape at the top - I bet someone on here knows where to get them …

:
RHA | Shop

Told ya someone would know !

ROG:
Told ya someone would know !

30 seconds on google!

HOW MUCH■■?

Think I’ll stick to my tape measure :smiley:

Good advice about the first measurement being a round number, sounds daft but I would of measured to a point and then ended up adding decimal feet and inches lol.

Good advice there Pete, put my mind at slight ease anyway as it was one of the 2 things I was worried about. The other being use of the tacho.

Tarrman:
Now I know this has been done to death but I’m struggling to find a definitive answer.

How do you personally set the trailer height?

Do you set it to the height marked up on the trailer?

Do you guess and add a few inches to be sure?

Is there a set formula for working it out?

There must be an easier way surely?

I have a tape measure in my truck, but if I had to bring the ■■■■■■■ thing to a driving assessment, I’d give it to the assessor and go home…

W

Do it by eye and if you come to a bridge and think its abit tight stick your head out the window as you go under.

I’ve got an extending decorators pole, to which I’ve bolted a cheap shelf bracket. This sits on the top bunk quite happily, and when I want to check I just hang the pole off the top corner of the trailer, clamp it tight, then measure it on the deck.

It also comes in handy for hooking side boards out and in on the trailer at high level.

Gary

That’s a good idea. Will bear that in mind for future reference.

scaniason:
I’ve got an extending decorators pole, to which I’ve bolted a cheap shelf bracket. This sits on the top bunk quite happily, and when I want to check I just hang the pole off the top corner of the trailer, clamp it tight, then measure it on the deck.

It also comes in handy for hooking side boards out and in on the trailer at high level.

Gary

I’ve got the same set up, handy little tool.

I’ve also measured all the trailers in our yard whilst connected to my tractor 48" - 5th wheel (note different tractors can have different fifth wheel heights) we’ve got about 15 trailers ranging from 13’ 9" to 16’ 1" D/deckers, all written in my diary & on a spreadsheet that I can print off for other drivers.

martinviking:
I’ve also measured all the trailers in our yard whilst connected to my tractor 48" - 5th wheel (note different tractors can have different fifth wheel heights) we’ve got about 15 trailers ranging from 13’ 9" to 16’ 1" D/deckers, all written in my diary & on a spreadsheet that I can print off for other drivers.

Great minds obviously think alike - I’ve done that too!

Gary

Here’s an idea - wait until the sun is at a 45-degree angle to the horizon, then measure the shadow!

:stuck_out_tongue:

scaniason:

martinviking:

Gary

Are we living in some weird Parallel Universe ■■? :laughing:

Saaamon:
Do it by eye and if you come to a bridge and think its abit tight stick your head out the window as you go under.

And lower your suspension and let some air out the tyres just in case. :grimacing:

lilysgranpa:

Saaamon:

And lower your suspension and let some air out the tyres just in case. :grimacing:

AND. Put all the weight on the front of the trailer !!!

Hahaha. Must be beer oclock on a friday night .

martinviking:

scaniason:

martinviking:

Gary

You realise we’ve now got to find another thread to have a big slanging match on, just to restore the cosmic balance? Can’t possibly have two people agreeing on something on here, whatever next?!?!

Gary

scaniason:

martinviking:

scaniason:

martinviking:

Gary

You realise we’ve now got to find another thread to have a big slanging match on, just to restore the cosmic balance? Can’t possibly have two people agreeing on something on here, whatever next?!?!

Gary

:laughing:

Doesn’t anyone carry a sweeping brush anymore?