Do I need a height stick?

This is a serious question before people assume otherwise.

I’m doing more and more class 1 work. And my method for working out heights is to look at the trailor where is says height assuming 5th wheel etc… and add 6 inches. I know it’s crude - but it seems conservative and works for me.

Obviously though - I can’t be doing that with the biggest double deckers.

I’ve looked online and found this: rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle–dri … ice_-.html

Tbh I don’t want to spend that much money. Call me tight if you will - but it seems too expensive.

So what I’m really asking how do you guys measure who change trailers and trucks regularly?

Cheers

Trailers should have height displayed on them

What´s wrong with a good old fashioned tape measure, sammy?
Get a heavy duty job and they will easily extend/reach the top of a trailer-
google.co.uk/search?q=screw … e&ie=UTF-8

gezt:

I know. But not all trucks 5th wheels are at the same height.

I sometimes have to wind legs up slowly if a trailer is dropped so low I struggle to get under it even with air suspension all the way down. And sometimes need to lower a trailer if it’s been dropped and is too high.

Different manufacters seem to have different 5th wheel heights. Unless drivers are dropping them intentionally like this.

8m tape measure = one tenth of the price of the height stick and a lot easier to put into your bag .

steviespain:
What´s wrong with a good old fashioned tape measure, sammy?
Get a heavy duty job and they will easily extend/reach the top of a trailer-
google.co.uk/search?q=screw … e&ie=UTF-8

Nothing… I was overthinking it and after googling thought that I might need one.

Fortunately I have a couple of free tape measures. Remember that job on the HIAB. The company put some in those chavvy drawstring bags to give to customers. So I swiped a couple along with the branded thermal mugs.

Box trailers will usually have something along the lines of “Overall height 4.5 metres on a 1250mm Fifth wheel.”

Once coupled up, it’s easy enough to check the actual fifth wheel height using an ordinary tape measure. Pencil and paper (or the Calculator App on your phone) will soon tell you the correct figure for overall height.

Or you can use a normal tape measure to measure the actual height of the trailer from fifth wheel to top of trailer and from the ground to top of fifth wheel, then add the two figures together.

Measuring sticks etc are only really needed when carrying irregularly shaped loads on a flat trailer, car transporters, log trailers etc.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Box trailers will usually have something along the lines of “Overall height 4.5 metres on a 1250mm Fifth wheel.”

Once coupled up, it’s easy enough to check the actual fifth wheel height using an ordinary tape measure. Pencil and paper (or the Calculator App on your phone) will soon tell you the correct figure for overall height.

Or you can use a normal tape measure to measure the actual height of the trailer from fifth wheel to top of trailer and from the ground to top of fifth wheel, then add the two figures together.

Measuring sticks etc are only really needed when carrying irregularly shaped loads on a flat trailer, car transporters, log trailers etc.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Cheers - I have a bulky tape measure and it’s going in the bag. I was overthinking it and making life more complicated than it needs to be.

Just remember a 6ft tape measure might not be suitable

Don’t you carry a sweeping brush and a tape measure?

I don’t believe the markings on a trailer, the conversation goes like this, “Pike, go and paint the height on those trailers in the yard”

Pike is never the brightest lad!

You can always use the “fastasfox” method. Find a trailer with known height, park next to it. And estimate. So easy

So instead of measuring the whole height, measure your own fifth wheel, then take the trailer height, remove the 1250mm, then add your fifth wheel back on or add/subtract the difference. Say it says 4.3m with 1250mm fifth wheel and your fifth wheel is 1100: 4300 - 1250 + 1100 = 4150. 4.15m is slightly under 13" 8’ so put your height as 13" 8’.

For over 40 years…

I’ve never had a height stick or a tape measure yet I’ve never clouted a bridge.

Go figure.

yourhavingalarf:
For over 40 years…

I’ve never had a height stick or a tape measure yet I’ve never clouted a bridge.

Go figure.

That will help him. Dont forget he is a mere mortal, not a driving god like you.

No need for a height stick,get a normal tape, like the one you most likely have in a draw or in your garage at home, measure turntable height and add it to the marked trailer height,job done.

Find various low bridges until you fit under one then you have your height.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

youtu.be/vodR2X1eL_I

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stop being a cheapskate and buy the ■■■■■■■ stick

sammym:

gezt:

I know. But not all trucks 5th wheels are at the same height.

I sometimes have to wind legs up slowly if a trailer is dropped so low I struggle to get under it even with air suspension all the way down. And sometimes need to lower a trailer if it’s been dropped and is too high.

Different manufacters seem to have different 5th wheel heights. Unless drivers are dropping them intentionally like this.

If you feel the need to measure various trailers, generally speaking here, all you need to know is the running and low setting heights, for low bridge clearance.
So level switch setting ‘on’ middle axle down measure it.
Then drop suspension on unit, measure and see what it goes down to (if you’re a belt and braces type of perfectionist drop trailer suspension and measure that also back and front.)

Never needed to do it myself more than two or 3 times for specific reasons ie high loads on flats for instance (but if you feel the need crack on, at least it shows you care more than some of these ■■■■ blobs who ram low bridges) but I just look at the markings on the front of a trailer, and act accordingly.

I’ve found that 9 times out of 10 if it says 14’ 6’’ it is really around 14’ 3’‘…but don’t take that as gospel.
It’s just that many firms exaggerate the height as a d/head allowance.
For eg all ours are marked up at 15’ 1’’ but are about 14’’ 6’‘/14’ 9’’ depending on suspension settings.

Another point the load can make a difference, I took a low Euroliner through a particularly very low bridge years ago in Sheffield once, it was mm.s clearance, I watched it through with head and shoulders out of window and just got it under.
Got tipped and the ■■■■■ would NOT go back under at any cost. :smiling_imp: other than me teararsing it through causing mega damage (I didn’t btw :smiley: )
Had to arrange for a low ride unit to come out to me to get it back under for the one way in and out route. :blush:
(the Euroliner was on small wheels my unit was on 11x22.5s)