Height stick

Can anyone suggest a good height measuring stick for a ro ro skip truck? It’s never a level load, so need something with a longer horizontal top arm to measure any lumps in the middle- I’m getting too old to keep climbing up there…

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Measure the height before picking the skip up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

this win’s answer of the week. :bulb: :slight_smile:

go on the fta shop they have them on there

scotstrucker:
go on the fta shop they have them on there

You had 1 hour + to digest Wheelnuts’ post and you still posted this… :stuck_out_tongue:

m.a.n rules:

Wheel Nut:

this win’s answer of the week. :bulb: :slight_smile:

The bins are 10ft , a lot of them without steps and as I said the loads can be high in places… most yards don’t allow you to climb up anymore so a height stick that reaches halfway across the width of the truck is the only answer…

Can’t you just use the bridges to level the load a la Stobrats?

TiredAndEmotional:

Unfortunately not- loads are crap- trailers or cars sticking out the top- all sorts… I’ve found a nice looking stick on a us website- cheap postage, so that’s the one… thanks for the input…

You asked for advice to find it but then found one on the tinterwebbythingy.

Nobber:

TiredAndEmotional:

Unfortunately not- loads are crap- trailers or cars sticking out the top- all sorts… I’ve found a nice looking stick on a us website- cheap postage, so that’s the one… thanks for the input…

Link?

Can’t you park it near different height trailers then u will have your height.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nobber:
Can anyone suggest a good height measuring stick for a ro ro skip truck? It’s never a level load, so need something with a longer horizontal top arm to measure any lumps in the middle- I’m getting too old to keep climbing up there…

Would a height stick be any use ? Just that due to the load not being you could get a false reading as the middle of the load could be slightly higher than the sides which is where you’d measure from

Grumpy Dad:

Nobber:

Would a height stick be any use ? Just that due to the load not being you could get a false reading as the middle of the load could be slightly higher than the sides which is where you’d measure from

Yes- it’s the middle part of the load that needs measuring- so a height stick with an arm that reaches will do the trick… I’ll order one and see how it goes…

Nobber:

I’d imagine that this measuring stick, which must resemble a hanging gallows framework, would be quite unwieldy and prone to bending or snapping if light enough to be handheld and compact enough to be stowable.

The measurements would have to be taken with the stick fully square and with the arm directly horizontal across the load which is probably not that easy to do from 16ft below. Even a modest out-of-level orientation could mean that a reading of 15ft on the stick could be 16ft at the outer tip of the “gallows stick”.

And with an uneven load, to get a true measure you’d have to sweep it across the entire load down both sides of the vehicle, whilst always maintaining the squareness and orientation, something that would be difficult to do without a substantial wheeled apparatus.

Realistically, I’d put it to your employer that they either need to ensure the skips are level, or to provide some sort of safe means of accessing and assessing the top of the skip.

Many of the height sticks have a spirit level built in, and you soon get used to keeping them level.

I’d like to see the one you’ve seen from the US, possible to post a link please.

Rjan:

Nobber:

I’d imagine that this measuring stick, which must resemble a hanging gallows framework, would be quite unwieldy and prone to bending or snapping if light enough to be handheld and compact enough to be stowable.

The measurements would have to be taken with the stick fully square and with the arm directly horizontal across the load which is probably not that easy to do from 16ft below. Even a modest out-of-level orientation could mean that a reading of 15ft on the stick could be 16ft at the outer tip of the “gallows stick”.

And with an uneven load, to get a true measure you’d have to sweep it across the entire load down both sides of the vehicle, whilst always maintaining the squareness and orientation, something that would be difficult to do without a substantial wheeled apparatus.

Realistically, I’d put it to your employer that they either need to ensure the skips are level, or to provide some sort of safe means of accessing and assessing the top of the skip.

I’ve tried that- it’s always"one last dodgy load "…A good point about the stick not being quite level… I think a different job is probably the answer- a proper firm who only take level loads…

Juddian:
Many of the height sticks have a spirit level built in, and you soon get used to keeping them level.

I’d like to see the one you’ve seen from the US, possible to post a link please.

The company is autohaul and the stick is the big red…

FTA measuring device is aluminium, telescopic, and very well made, but it costs around £70

Old John:
FTA measuring device is aluminium, telescopic, and very well made, but it costs around £70

I’ll check it out- thanks

Re being level/vertical: Isnt this a fail safe situation? If the stick is off vertical, the reading will be higher than true, so will not be dangerous. At worst youll think the load is higher than it really is. Not good, but not dangerous.