Height stick

Hi all anyone know the cheapest place to buy a 5m height stick from. Left mine on me deck, fell off then ran over it DOH lol. Thanks in advance for advice. Cheapest I’ve found is £78 on eBay.

Ring the RHA up and ask how much they do them for. They sell all sorts for the haulage game such as ADR KITS, first aid kits, ratchets and straps, rope, guidebooks on safe loading, driving hours and regs, cleaning tackle, h&s gear such as boots, high viz vests, coats etc and also height marker sticks :slight_smile:
I think you’ll find that around about the £70-£80 is what you’ll be paying.

7.5 mtr good quality tape measure (Stanley) usually stiff enough to reach the top of a trailer.

martinviking:
7.5 mtr good quality tape measure (Stanley) usually stiff enough to reach the top of a trailer.

That’s good !, I was hoping that was the case, I’ve not tried mine yet, & height measuring sticks are pretty expensive to buy a proper one.

Buy a 5m length of roofing Batten, paint it red, mark off in Metres one side, Feet and inches the other, job done and cheap.

Twoninety88:
Buy a 5m length of roofing Batten, paint it red, mark off in Metres one side, Feet and inches the other, job done and cheap.

Good idea , but it won’t fit in my kit bag! :confused:

I really should invest in a hight stick (so watching this with interests) I use a tape measure now but it’s a ball ache in the wind, as I have different size masts on my wagon every day.

Can’t you try calling into a camping shop and see if they sell the internal sections for tents, the type that have elastic through them?

Can mark up same way and folds down pretty small. Sections on my family tent are ■■■■ long when put together but light.

dcgpx:
Can’t you try calling into a camping shop and see if they sell the internal sections for tents, the type that have elastic through them?

Can mark up same way and folds down pretty small. Sections on my family tent are ■■■■ long when put together but light.

Something along the lines of this, if you buy 2 sets I’m sure you could lash something up
towsure.com/fibreglass-corde … mm-x-3-25m

bonnie lass:

Twoninety88:

Ah! …didnt realise it had to be ‘mobile’ :slight_smile:

Drift:
I really should invest in a hight stick (so watching this with interests) I use a tape measure now but it’s a ball ache in the wind, as I have different size masts on my wagon every day.

Why don’t you measure the mast before you load it, then just add that to the height of the bed. [emoji57]

martinviking:

Drift:

Why don’t you measure the mast before you load it, then just add that to the height of the bed. [emoji57]

That’s what I do, but it’s a bugger measuring an 11 foot mast in a wind, I might stick a little magnet on the end of the tape :bulb:

Is it possible to get true height by measuring from bottom of the trailer to the ground added with height of actual trailer ?

How about getting an extendable wash brush, mark it in feet or metres(as mentioned above) and hey ho 2 birds with one stone, a height stick and a wash brush as well!

kindle530:
How about getting an extendable wash brush, mark it in feet or metres(as mentioned above) and hey ho 2 birds with one stone, a height stick and a wash brush as well!

That would save our wash brush getting nicked all the time :laughing:

Twoninety88:

bonnie lass:

Twoninety88:

Ah! …didnt realise it had to be ‘mobile’ :slight_smile:

For me it would be better to have something to fold away for trailer changes , One preferably that folds reletivly small , (so it fits in my kit bag . :smiley:

Then go with the 5m timber batten, cut it in 2 foot lengths and buy a bag of hinges :slight_smile:

It may be better if I stick with the tape measure, rather than carry half a DIY shop around with me !! , :laughing: :laughing:

Rather than carry extra kit wouldn’t it be easier to simply look in your trucker atlas at bridges in your area then just have a drive around until you find a bridge you can’t quite get under then look up at the bridge and hey presto there’s your trailer height (after you’ve knocked a couple of inches off) on a sign in both feet and metres for your convenience :smiley: