Lost Wiper Blade

Coming across the M90 this afternoon in torrential rain and my driver’s side windscreen wiper decided it had had enough and topped itself.
It broke free, bounced off the window and flew off into the motorway, most probably scaring the bejesus out of the poor Grahams driver as it smacked off his front grille.

A mile and a half to the nearest exit so I came off, went old school and swapped the passenger blade onto the driver’s side, wrapped a rag around the now bare passenger arm and cable tied it on to get me back to the depot. This was at 1500 this afternoon and since I started at 0400 this morning, the thought of waiting about for an hour and a half for a fitter to come and put a new blade on wasn’t exactly appealing

Now that riveting back story is complete, here’s the real reason for this post.

What’s the deal regarding wipers? As I say, I swapped the passenger to the driver side so it swept the area in front of me but what’s the deal with the passenger side and the rag? Is it ok as I can see from the driver side, is it just frowned upon or is it wish I carried lube if I had gotten caught?
Its all relative now as I got away with it (for want of a better phrase). Just wondering about the legal standpoint

im pretty sure that you only legally need the 1 wiper,but i stand to be corrected.

Possibly the first time I have thought driving one would be beneficial, but with a Daf you could have 2 out of 3.

As for legality it’s quite simple. Would it pass an MOT with only one blade attached to one arm only?

No so no it isn’t legal I would imagine.

What about an XF with 3 wiper blades would you get away with just 2? Maybe but probably still not.

According to the April 2019 DVSA docs, it would be a £50 fine with no points.

It doesn’t specify if one blade would attract this, but that might depend on individual officer and how well the whole area was clear. Suspect you would need to get it fixed before continuing as in their eyes, the whole swept area is not clear.

Probably one of those times where if you passed a safe place to stop like a services or layby, you’re more likely to attract the fine. They have no idea how long you’ve sriven for.

Btw, don’t suppose it was a 2015+ DAF CF?

General regs are apparently:

The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986, Regulation 34(6) and Section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, SO-4

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … policy.pdf

heres the link to the gov site that says in their usual format that 1 wiper is legal,then says its not…

gov.uk/government/publicati … d-vehicles

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
some mercedes cars only have 1 wiper so that should balls it up for further debate :slight_smile:

trevHCS:

It was indeed!
Pretty common fault then I presume?

The-Snowman:
Coming across the M90 this afternoon in torrential rain and my driver’s side windscreen wiper decided it had had enough and topped itself.
It broke free, bounced off the window and flew off into the motorway, most probably scaring the bejesus out of the poor Grahams driver as it smacked off his front grille.

A mile and a half to the nearest exit so I came off, went old school and swapped the passenger blade onto the driver’s side, wrapped a rag around the now bare passenger arm and cable tied it on to get me back to the depot. This was at 1500 this afternoon and since I started at 0400 this morning, the thought of waiting about for an hour and a half for a fitter to come and put a new blade on wasn’t exactly appealing

Now that riveting back story is complete, here’s the real reason for this post.

What’s the deal regarding wipers? As I say, I swapped the passenger to the driver side so it swept the area in front of me but what’s the deal with the passenger side and the rag? Is it ok as I can see from the driver side, is it just frowned upon or is it wish I carried lube if I had gotten caught?
Its all relative now as I got away with it (for want of a better phrase). Just wondering about the legal standpoint

You call yourself a professional? :unamused:
You should have done a proper risk assessment, then immediately rang your planner and asked for his directive, you are not a qualified fitter to remove a wiper blade, think of the injuries you could have sustained…have you not done a cpc ffs?
Could have been carnage, no visibility through passenger side. :open_mouth:

On the other hand, well done for using a bit of old style initiative, just as many of us would have done instead of modern day transport ■■■■ ing about.
Proper driver. :sunglasses: :wink:
:smiley:

it IS scarey driving with no wipers. Last year one arvo i drove 20 odd miles in light rain with no wipers and no indicators or brake lights after an electric fault developed

corij:
it IS scarey driving with no wipers. Last year one arvo i drove 20 odd miles in light rain with no wipers and no indicators or brake lights after an electric fault developed

anytime that happens just go flat out and the airstream keeps the screen clear.
dont fanny about at slow speeds just crack on and it all becomes clearer.

The-Snowman:

trevHCS:

It was indeed!

Yep. DAF decided they needed to re-invent the wheel when it came to the securing clip mechanism of the wiper blade. Apparently the one that’s worked fine for all manufacturers for 30+ years wasn’t sufficient. Unfortunately too often they’re not put on properly and the plastic clip that’s supposed to go further up the arm isn’t put in place so eventually they fall off. I’ve had a few I’ve spotted loose when doing those pointless daily checks everyone keeps telling me I don’t need to do. One of our night trunkers had it happen 250 miles away from base. He got a fitter out to put one on, not being overly happy at the thought of a 200+ mile journey round the M25 and back up the M1 when it was crappy weather.

The-Snowman:
It was indeed!

Our 15 plates were alright until they started replacing the wipers with the later model ones, which seem to be slightly too long and hit the edges of the window. Then they eventually break without warning. Another brilliant backwards step by DAF.

As for old style initiative - that gets you home a heck of a lot quicker, unless you’re unlucky and meet the ministry. :slight_smile:

i think some of the poverty spec old side-valve Ford’s only had one wiper back in the day

Carry a bottle of Rain X with you, you won’t need to use your wipers, rain will just run off, torrential rain 50 mph plus no wipers required.
Also ideal for applying to your side windows and mirrors.
rainx.co.uk/rain-x-products … repellent/

I’ll have to get some of that for my glasses , it’s a bugger when they get rained on .

you techno’s make me laugh, what’s wrong with a cut potato, you cannot spill that when you drop the bottle,

No but you could chip it :grimacing:

Good that you got yourself going. I reckon that most coppers/ministry men would have overlooked it as it had only just happened. When I was a youngster there were plenty of lorries, eg: Leyland, Albion, AEC etc that came out of the factory with only one wiper. I’d guess the reg’s have been updated since then. :wink:

peterm:
Good that you got yourself going. I reckon that most coppers/ministry men would have overlooked it as it had only just happened. When I was a youngster there were plenty of lorries, eg: Leyland, Albion, AEC etc that came out of the factory with only one wiper. I’d guess the reg’s have been updated since then. :wink:

Lot been updated since then-not always for the better. Still got 3 half empty log books waiting to be filled :smiley:

LOL I had summat similar happens years ago in a Leyland DAF 95. On the A1 s/b approaching Alconbury (when it was still 2 lanes), in torrential rain. The middle wiper decided to stop in an upright position and 3 seconds later the other two were tangled up in it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I managed to pull into the services halfway up Stangate hill (is that still there?) and awaited rescue.