Misaligned steering wheel

My lorry came back from being serviced with a misaligned steering wheel. It’s about 1/8th of a turn off centre.

How would I go about getting it straight again? I don’t want to involve the grumpy ones unless I have to.

send it back to the grumpy ones.

just incase anything goes wrong at a later date.keeps blame with
grumpy.

Pretty sure it’s a fault with the wheel alignment so no easy DIY fix. The grumpy ones have screwed up.

If trucks are anything like cars it’s when the tracking is set ie the front wheels are laser aligned so that they toe in slightly.
It just means that to adjust it the fitter has only adjusted one side of the suspension and not a bit off each track rod end. Maybe it was stuck and he couldn’t shift it. Nothing major but it’d annoy the hell out of me.

Very common and annoying not really any excuse for it. Just as likely to be they’ve had the wheel out and not bothered to mark it’s original position as rods and ends replaced and they’ve aligned the road wheels but not the steering wheel.

If they are replacing track/tie rods, drag link or balljoints provided they’re counting turns and putting the new in the same the wheel position and alignment shouldn’t really be too far off.

you are worrying about nothing

Every Scania I have ever driven, even newish ones, have this problem, steering wheel is about 3-4" off centre to the right and all pull to the left…hold the wheel with the left hand and it makes your arm ache after a few minutes of ‘pushing’ it onto a straight line but no issues when holding it with the right, probably as your arm is resting on the door and the wheel is being ‘pulled’ or held into/on a straight line

It would annoy me more that the indicators won’t auto-cancel at the correct place.
Also, I have a happy place where my hands sit, misalignment would mess that up as well.

Could undo the nuts in the wheel realign wheel reapply nuts but for arse covering purposes send it back

Some DAFs Ive driven throw the steering wheel out on line when loaded, but when empty return to “normal”

I know exactly what the spanner boys have done,they have put an Austin Allegro square wheel on your motor.

corij:
you are worrying about nothing

That’s not true; I’m worrying about whether I’ve set my night heater to come on an hour before I start work in the morning.

What’s that got to do with my misaligned steering wheel though?

206doorman:
It would annoy me more that the indicators won’t auto-cancel at the correct place.

My main annoyance is the fact I now can’t see my fuel or temperature gauge without leaning forward.

Looks like I’ll have to put up with it for six weeks. If I take it back to the grumpy ones now, I’ll have to spend a day in the company nail while they sort mine out.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Contraflow:

206doorman:

My main annoyance is the fact I now can’t see my fuel or temperature gauge without leaning forward.

Looks like I’ll have to put up with it for six weeks. If I take it back to the grumpy ones now, I’ll have to spend a day in the company nail while they sort mine out.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don’t think you’ll last six weeks without putting any fuel in. Jam the front wheel right up against a very high kerb and sort it now with a DIY fix. :stuck_out_tongue:

The person to blame is not necessarily the fitter who did something to the steering, but whoever road tested the vehicle and did not snag the job as requiring rectification, thus allowing the vehicle to be returned in an unsatisfactory condition. Even taking great care it is not absolutely guaranteed that the steering wheel will be spot on. One spline or one thread out, can make a noticeable difference. The only way to be sure it is correct is to drive the thing.

Take it back.

I had this same prob! THE GRUMPY’s r to blame without a doubt… :slight_smile:

Take it back,if for example they changed a track rod end ,and never bothered to count the turns ,for just a basic setting and never down the tracking ,the your tyres won’t last 6 weeks…The again they may have done the top sel on the steering box and never put the U/J on the correct spline.That isn’t an issue and is a 15 min job…Do you know what was done to the vehicle ■■?

just slacken the knuckle joint at the bottom of the steering column, Turn the steering wheel to the correct position and re-tighten the knuckle joint. 2 minutes of a job.
make sure the splines are aligned.

Just hit another kerb hard on the opposite side and get the wheel back in line :stuck_out_tongue:

Def take it back or make them aware now they’ve not done it properly and at its next 6 weekly you want it done. I had the same before Xmas they done the tracking picked it up and the steering wheels of to the left. When I went in they said its nothing to worry about I said it ■■■■■ is I gotta spend the day getting annoyed looking at it.