Misaligned steering wheel

limeyphil:
just slacken the knuckle joint at the bottom of the steering column, Turn the steering wheel to the correct position and re-tighten the knuckle joint. 2 minutes of a job.
make sure the splines are aligned.

Hiya…c mon limey if your not aloud to change a wheel or fix a side light, it’ll not go down well adjusting the steering.
yes its dead easy if you know and its your own truck but not when its some one elses,s.what truck is it??
have they got the fly by wire steering in any yet. my caravanete has electric steering its mad.i know some cars have now
John

Several suggestions above for what might have been done, but the only people who know what has actually been done are the garage responsible, so leave it alone.

Especially do not touch the steering universal joint. This component can produce some strange symptoms if things aren’t right. Going back 30 years Seddon Atkinson were very particular about the correct alignment of this part.

3300John:
…if your not aloud to change a wheel or fix a side light, it’ll not go down well adjusting the steering.

It’s not one of those firms John. Them upstairs would prefer us to fix things ourselves where possible.

I’m just going to live with it for six weeks though. It’s growing on me now. It adds a bit of character. :laughing:

Contraflow:

3300John:
…if your not aloud to change a wheel or fix a side light, it’ll not go down well adjusting the steering.

It’s not one of those firms John. Them upstairs would prefer us to fix things ourselves where possible.

I’m just going to live with it for six weeks though. It’s growing on me now. It adds a bit of character. :laughing:

Hiya just check a few nuts on the track rod ends and the drop arm nut just in case they are loose. its
only a case of one spline or one thread difference could put the wheel out of line.its easly done, in fact
it can be a pain in the backside keeping them lined up.
John

Contraflow:
'…How would I go about getting it straight again…?

Although it’ll make you few friends - and assuming the steering wheel has cc & limiter type controls, etc on it, I’d consider defecting the symptom (because it isn’t design specced to be like that), alongside submitting - and here’s the soft bit, a safety concern that is causing a ‘stress’ in the wrist due to having to hold the wheel at half ■■■■.

Dons hard-hat - although it is little more than fighting fire with fire by using H&S regs for a driver’s advantage for a change :wink:

Had the same thing a few years back.The lorry had been in for inspection over the weekend.Set off 4am for my all week trip round Scotland.
Stopped for break and rang the gaffer,he said let me check with the dealer. He rang back and said they had fitted a new drag link and the lorry was safe.He said he would make sure it was re-aligned when I got back,but if it was really “Bugging” me,I could call in to the MAN dealer in Carlisle and get it sorted.
Now this was an own operator without the same pressures as general haulage,but are they under so much pressure that they would expect you to wait till the next six week inspection? I am retired now,in the transport game since I left school,so Ive done my share of make do and mend repairs to get the motor home! Once drove a Thames Trader from the South Coast back to Bradford using a piece of rope up through the engine cover,under the seat and through the door grab handle,to operate the accelerator !!
Regards John.

on the Scania I drive you can adjust it when you adjust the steering wheel rake and position.
Press the button to release the steering wheel and adjust rake/position of steering wheel you should be able to turn the wheel straight at this point too. Then press button again to fix steering wheel position.

just get the big spanner out and
use it on the big nut behind the wheel

For a quick fix unbolt the seat and fix it back at an angle.

3300John:

limeyphil:
just slacken the knuckle joint at the bottom of the steering column, Turn the steering wheel to the correct position and re-tighten the knuckle joint. 2 minutes of a job.

Hiya…c mon limey if your not aloud to change a wheel or fix a side light, it’ll not go down well adjusting the steering.
yes its dead easy if you know and its your own truck but not when its some one elses,s.what truck is it??
have they got the fly by wire steering in any yet. my caravanete has electric steering its mad.i know some cars have now
John

Electric steering. Dosn’t sound quite normal really :laughing: . How many times do you have to switch something off and on again to get it to work correctly?
But i bet it’s a dead easy fix. Disconnect the battery, realign the wheel and reconnect the battery? maybe something as simple as that?

Own Account Driver:
For a quick fix unbolt the seat and fix it back at an angle.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:exclamation:

3300John:

limeyphil:

John

Cars have Electrically Assisted Power Steering, EU Regulations state there must be a direct mechanical connection between the Steering Wheel and Steering Rack or other mechanism, for vehicles with a design speed above 30km/h that can travel on the public highway, I believe.

Don’t ya just hate that?

peirre:
Some DAFs Ive driven throw the steering wheel out on line when loaded, but when empty return to “normal”

Agreed