Tracking out - is it dangerous?

I have driven several Mercs last week where the tracking was out.

The steering was more like 8 oclock /2oclock on the one and 10 oclock/4 oclock on the other.

Is it something to report and if so can i refuse to take it out?

May not be tracking. Same symptoms if steering wheel has been removed and not replaced precisely. But not dangerous. Only problem is that you end up with one arm longer than the other!

Bin it if the steering doesn’t feel to be behaving properly, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Does it feel that the vehicle is actually pulling to one side or is just that the steering wheel is not fitted square :question:

If the latter then ignore what your eyes are seeing regards to the steering wheel and go by feeling without looking at the wheel

I never look at the steering wheel to know where the wheels are pointing

ROG:
Does it feel that the vehicle is actually pulling to one side or is just that the steering wheel is not fitted square :question:

Yes, its pulling to the side

If the latter then ignore what your eyes are seeing regards to the steering wheel and go by feeling without looking at the wheel

I dont look at the wheel but am a bit ocd, lol

I never look at the steering wheel to know where the wheels are pointing

Me neither.

As above replies: the position of the spokes on the steering wheel are irrelevant. Looking at the tyres on the steer axle(s) may give a clue about the trucks steering health. Uneven/asymmetric wear will be a "heads up", but even that doesnt mean it is necessarily dangerous. Steering that pulls to one side and pulls hard to one side under braking is more worrying.

I’m convinced that some mechanics are either blind or just out to annoy drivers - maybe the regular driver annoyed them. Does seem to happen from time to time even though it really shouldn’t, but worst case scenario is the wheel starts to get more and more off-line, ie: it’s not tightened up! If you refused to take it out without proof that the tracking is very badly out, you might not drive for them again.

Find a straight road without camber (motorways are best), let go of the wheel slightly and if you don’t end up in the hard shoulder / fast lane* in the next 3 seconds it’s fine and just a blind mechanic.

• OK, outside lane but I still think fast lane sounds better.