08 scania steering problem I think!

Hi guys

This is a bit of a long story but this is the bones of it. The 08 scania 6x2 I drive has bad shaking in the steering when loaded. The mechanic said it was bearings in the lift axle, which he replaced, the front passenger tire was fairly wore on one side so they put 2 new front tires and rimes but still no difference. Mechanic said it needed to be tracked, got that done today and still shaking, it only passed the doe last week and passed no problem.

The mechanic can’t seem to see any other problems, any suggestions from any of you guys

Many thanks in advance

Check the steering axle wheels are centralised, common problem on scanias mate. :grimacing:

I had this on a 08 scania, although only when loaded with compost.raising the back end a touch sorts it.
motorcyclists call this a tank slapper…when there’s not enough weight(usually under hard acceleration)on the front wheel, resulting in the handle bars flinging from side to side.

Thanks for the tips guys. Will be sure to try lift the axle a bit in the morning and see if makes any difference

As jimmy2loads says, Get all steering wheels centralised with old-style conical wheel nuts.

Had it on loads of Scanias, another reason to not like them, they really are old tech and in my opinion not fit for purpose.

had on scania myself the prob was a tyre on mid lift shaped like a egg try getting mid lift just clear of the road and turn tyre by hand see if it touches the road

Don’t think I’ve ever had a Scania that hasn’t had a ‘steering problem’…normally where the steering wheel is off centre by a couple of inches and/or pulls into the near side, even on newer rentals. As for the wobbles, normally noticed that when a steer tyre has been changed and never balanced and you hit 50!! And why don’t they balance them?

Balancing a truck tire is like + - zero. Will help for just a couple of weeks.
Best solution is to put sand in the tire works like a treat and removes every single shaking. Mostly used for front axle but will work on drive axle also.

Ah we had this on a few Scania’s … now we had a guy come in he had all wheels balanced truck lifted did a full 3 axel alignment and I think it was a camber check and alignment and nothing :open_mouth: it happened to be I think something to do with the lift axel as mentioned but I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

I had front tyre wear on a scania, but here in oz we have bogie drive, I think you call it double drive. Anyway, it went for a wheel alignment and the bloke who was well up on his knowledge said the trouble came from the rear suspension bushes and was a known issue. I know you’re talking about lift axles, but might still be worth looking at bushes putting the whole lot out of line.

I’m assuming it’s a midlift/steer, so it’s the midlift that is your problem, as it will be raised when empty.

Try all the usual suspects, toe, alignment, the Ackerman linkage, wheel centering, tyre centered on rim (if done correctly on a good tyre you won’t need balancing) it could also be a bounce so check shock absorbers on the midlift.

If its a twin steer (6x2/4) it will be the 2nd steer axle spring pins & bushes that are worn out.