Writing "Unchecked" On Delivery Notes

What is the point to this and does it have any legal standing? I can see a point if an order is very large but I delivered about 30x16kg bags of flour to a bakery in Camberley just over a week ago, woman watched me sack truck it in in 3 trips of 10 and stack it (why do we do this, Sainsburys don’t with your internet shopping??!!!). On signing she writes “unchecked” across the ticket. Why when she’s stood there and watched me wheel the stuff in and stack it?

Might be because she’s a ■■■.
My firm does not allow any comments at all like this on delivery notes - and there
is a big notice on every delivery note stating so.
The product is reasonably easy to count off and check.
Any problems at all and back to the factory with it.

because the lazy cow could’nt be bothered to count the bags.I deliver to various shops who are phoning “where’s my stuff” so you rush down with it and it’s “i knew you’d come when i was eating my dinner”

yeah cos you rang up asking for your stuff 20 minutes ago ya moaning cow :unamused:

can’t win.

axletramp:
Might be because she’s a ■■■.
My firm does not allow any comments at all like this on delivery notes - and there
is a big notice on every delivery note stating so.
The product is reasonably easy to count off and check.
Any problems at all and back to the factory with it.

Our place has it in block capitals all over the notes. Annoys the norks off me when you’re delivering about 20 cases of gear, which is obviously right, and would take 30 seconds tops to check off anyway.

Just someone full of self importance, trying to let you know that they’re high enough up the ladder to be able to sign a note, but too far up it to be troubled by a mere delivery driver.

Only had it once, funny thing is with plants they don’t get checked until after I’m out the gates anyway. :unamused: Rare to have it checked before I leave.

I have recently had a whole lot of hassle for not writing “unchecked” on a collection note, for some stuff I collected nearly a year ago… Somewhere along the line, someone has lost it or sent it out, whatever. Today I was asked to collect one item, no papaerwork from us or the customer, just a phone call.

Not wishing to find myself answering more stupid questions, I made up a collection note and borrowed a line from the CMR:

1 Case, said to contain x, y and z. Then I wrote all the info about the people involved in the organising of the collection and placed it directly outside our goods-in office in the presence of a loader, a clerk and the shift manager, directly under a CCTV camera.

What’s the betting they’ll ask me first if it gets lost…?

I suppose with flour if they manage to drop and split a bag or manage to get it wet then they’ll put it down as damaged on delivery and claim a refund.

Your company probably works on the principle the customer is always right most old established companies do, hence these people have always taken advantage and got away with this and always will.

I don’t like it either.

I work for 3663 and a lot of customers write it on the delivery note. Means nothing as once they have signed the sheet they are accepting the delivery and its contents. However they do have 24 hours to notify of any discrepancies so there is no need to write it.
Most customers I find have ample time to check it but trust that its all there.

Don’t matter what you sign on a ticket, signing it only proves you took delivery not that it was in good condition.
Any delivery has a reasonable amount of time after delivery to be checked and a claim made.

Signing unchecked does prevent the courier arguing that you received the goods in good condition when/if the customer puts in a claim to the supplier and supplier claims off the courier company.

Delivery note declarations that courier companies put on their paperwork have little effect, unless damage was or should have been obvious.
Bylaw you have reasonable time after delivery to check the items.

So see watched you bring in 30 bags of flour. That don’t mean the contents aren’t contaminated.

Juddian:
I suppose with flour if they manage to drop and split a bag or manage to get it wet then they’ll put it down as damaged on delivery and claim a refund.

Your company probably works on the principle the customer is always right most old established companies do, hence these people have always taken advantage and got away with this and always will.

I don’t like it either.

It’s not I don’t like it, they could write “the Pope pokes ■■■” all across it for all I care. Just annoys me when they had ample time to count the stuff as I sweated my balls off delivering it when I should really be dumping it at the doorstep and going.

Essexboy:
I work for 3663 and a lot of customers write it on the delivery note. Means nothing as once they have signed the sheet they are accepting the delivery and its contents. However they do have 24 hours to notify of any discrepancies so there is no need to write it.
Most customers I find have ample time to check it but trust that its all there.

They are only accepting delivery not the contents are to a good standard/condition and thats law.
Theres your answer they have a day to check it.

That was what I was trying to say :laughing: just couldn’t put it in words!

Cheers :sunglasses:

Essexboy:
That was what I was trying to say :laughing: just couldn’t put it in words!

Cheers :sunglasses:

:stuck_out_tongue:

It doesn’t concern me whether it’s in spec or not aslong as it’s not leaking all over the truck or me, it’s fine.
It’s when I have to handball 1t of flour back onto the truck a week after I handballed it off I get annoyed and am tempted to tell the millers to go and collect it.
Ahhh! Just give me a job on a tipper!
:laughing:

I have done some recieving work and usually signed ‘unchecked’ in case the contents of any boxes or bags were incorrect, I wouldn’t blame anyone who signed thet paperwork that way, then they are covered. To do a delivery and have the geezer check every item takes ages.

Try delivering to any Bestway cash and carry warehouse, you’ll wish that they did just take it off and sign it “unchecked”. I’ve been in their places with, lets just say, 15 pallets of mixed goods, 2 pallets from one supplier, another from a different one etc.etc. they count every item before they sign your notes. Not too bad if its all from one supplier like 26 pallets from Coca Cola, but you could be in there for hours.

This sort of thing only matters . . . when it matters. If you understand this sort of thing.

We are only drivers, so therefore we shouldn’t worry about such things . . . or should we ?

Legally speaking, a contract is formed by a mutual agreement, not necessarily by a signing a piece of paper.

Did you know that your signature can only be legally used as evidence if it is the ink copy & it includes both signature & printed name by your hand ? There you go, I bet you didn’t. You may have an assumed argument against my claim but let me tell you this, a facsimile of a signature carry’s no legal weight !

Normally, it isn’t a problem. It only becomes a problem when it matters. When it matters we are usually excluded on the basis that we are only drivers.

Next time you sign for a delivery note, check to see if the T&C’s on that delivery note include a proviso’ that the goods are received in good condition. If it does, consider that legally speaking, you are only signing for the condition of the visible packaging !

I delivered 4 cases to a place last week and they wrote unchecked on it would of taken them 2 seconds to check it and the woman walked past them to sign the invoices, doesn’t really bother me tho because I check it off the truck and once I’m gone its nothing to do with me.

I get this all the time because no one on the building site wants responsibility for nothing.

I get ‘not checked’ scrawled across the top with ‘Micky mouse’ written in the signature box. I get my arse chewed constantly for this :laughing:

I delivered about 30x16kg bags of flour…

Think you’ve answered your own question :bulb: