The story of shap

240 Gardner:

cav551:

240 Gardner:
[ I’ve never driven a half-cab 'decker but I’d like to, just for the experience. .

Not wishing to pollute a most enjoyable thread which is to many of us about the holy of holies but, since you mentioned it, these two may give a little bit of atmosphere regarding driving vintage 'deckers. A little volume is required to enjoy? the full experience. :smiley: In the second one from about the 8 minute mark there is some very rapid progress down the 'box as it nearly runs out of puff again. The Utube poster has some excellent videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=5wLB-ap90lw

youtube.com/watch?v=IBsVtuS3O0k

Thanks very much for those links - pretty much the same view I used to have as a small boy behind the driver on Preston Corporation’s Leylands!

The chap obviously knows his way around the box very competently, although I do think he leaves some of his down changes a bit late going uphill - by the time he’s shifted down, he’s already missed the peak torque in the new gear.

I have put another of John Lidstone’s U Tube videos on the Buses Coaches Lorries Thread. This one has some distraction from people talking and is from the n/s/f passenger seat, but one can still see what the driver is doing. I had though that a KS5G was a single decker but it seems I am wrong, that adds at least another couple of tons to the gross weight and the need for timing 1st gear.