The story of shap

we were on hols 2019 lake district so i done the pilgramage cracking drive in the car. also went to kendal arts centre and had my pic with the leyland clock…bloody windy up there…

Back in the day Whitehaven was a regular run , plodding over Shap in a twin steer Foden s21 , 5 pot Gardner and 4 speed box . The Jungle was a welcome stop , especially in winter although I never encountered the heavy snow .

cav551:

240 Gardner:
[ I’ve never driven a half-cab 'decker but I’d like to, just for the experience. .

Not wishing to pollute a most enjoyable thread which is to many of us about the holy of holies but, since you mentioned it, these two may give a little bit of atmosphere regarding driving vintage 'deckers. A little volume is required to enjoy? the full experience. :smiley: In the second one from about the 8 minute mark there is some very rapid progress down the 'box as it nearly runs out of puff again. The Utube poster has some excellent videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=5wLB-ap90lw

youtube.com/watch?v=IBsVtuS3O0k

Thanks very much for those links - pretty much the same view I used to have as a small boy behind the driver on Preston Corporation’s Leylands!

The chap obviously knows his way around the box very competently, although I do think he leaves some of his down changes a bit late going uphill - by the time he’s shifted down, he’s already missed the peak torque in the new gear.

Proper whiteout

240 Gardner:

cav551:

240 Gardner:
[ I’ve never driven a half-cab 'decker but I’d like to, just for the experience. .

Not wishing to pollute a most enjoyable thread which is to many of us about the holy of holies but, since you mentioned it, these two may give a little bit of atmosphere regarding driving vintage 'deckers. A little volume is required to enjoy? the full experience. :smiley: In the second one from about the 8 minute mark there is some very rapid progress down the 'box as it nearly runs out of puff again. The Utube poster has some excellent videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=5wLB-ap90lw

youtube.com/watch?v=IBsVtuS3O0k

Thanks very much for those links - pretty much the same view I used to have as a small boy behind the driver on Preston Corporation’s Leylands!

The chap obviously knows his way around the box very competently, although I do think he leaves some of his down changes a bit late going uphill - by the time he’s shifted down, he’s already missed the peak torque in the new gear.

I have put another of John Lidstone’s U Tube videos on the Buses Coaches Lorries Thread. This one has some distraction from people talking and is from the n/s/f passenger seat, but one can still see what the driver is doing. I had though that a KS5G was a single decker but it seems I am wrong, that adds at least another couple of tons to the gross weight and the need for timing 1st gear.

cav551:
I had though that a KS5G was a single decker but it seems I am wrong, that adds at least another couple of tons to the gross weight and the need for timing 1st gear.

A K is a double decker, and the equivalent single decker is an L in Brizzle speak, and 5G means a 5LW

To those who have followed The Story Of Shap on video or DVD , I have just read today of the sad loss
of Lenore Knowless husband , Thomas . Lenore wound the famousLeyland Clock` , taking the job over
from her father . Thomas and Lenore farmed at Hollowgate Farm for many years .

cattle wagon man:
To those who have followed The Story Of Shap on video or DVD , I have just read today of the sad loss
of Lenore Knowless husband , Thomas . Lenore wound the famousLeyland Clock` , taking the job over
from her father . Thomas and Lenore farmed at Hollowgate Farm for many years .

That’s sad to hear. I was there when she gave her speech at the unveiling of the memorial, and it was very interesting to hear about her family’s history with the Fell and the clock

Article about Shap.

Click on twice to read.

DEANB:
Article about Shap.

That’s a nice read, Dean, thank you!

High Borrow Bridge in 1992, looking north, rather quiet on a Saturday afternoon

Shapstone3cropped.jpg