Failing to take correct break

I failed to take a 30 min break in 6 hours work which shows as an infringement obviously.
I had only driven for 3 hours all day so this is only a wtd offence.
Can I be fined retrospectively for this offence and whilst I’m on this can I be fined for any other offences that I may have accrued over the last 28 days?
My employer says I can be sacked after 5 offences!■■
Really?
Any professional advice would be welcome

Welcome to TNUK, do 2 print outs one for you one for the office and on the back write some details explaining what happened and sign them, it’s nothing to get worked up about unless you make a habit of it so don’t fret, and by the way it’s a 15 min break you need not a 30 .

Thank you immensely for your help. I will get the printouts as requested and hopefully that should be an end to it.
Can I actually be sacked for too many infringements?

Drayboy:
Thank you immensely for your help. I will get the printouts as requested and hopefully that should be an end to it.
Can I actually be sacked for too many infringements?

Depends on company policy but try and show some respect for the regs and you’ll be fine.

How many hours work did you do and what breaks if any were taken

I worked for 6 hrs and 48 mins, drove for 3 hrs 42 mins in total and failed to register a break

Drayboy:
I worked for 6 hrs and 48 mins, drove for 3 hrs 42 mins in total and failed to register a break

So you went 48 minutes over then which is a little excessive but like I said as long you’re not in the habit of doing it you should be fine, all you need is a 15 minute break to cover you for those 6 hrs so just pull over somewhere have a quick cuppa read the sports pages and that’ll be best part of that break done, but you’ll need another 15 or 30 minute break later depending on what time you’re finishing and how much driving you’re doing.

If you worked for 6 hours 48 minutes in total you should have had at-least 30 minutes of break and at-least 15 minutes of that break should have been taken before going over 6 hours working time, but you definitely won’t be fined by the DVSA for a WTD infringement so don’t worry about that.

As for you being sacked for getting 5 infringements, I’ve worked at companies where they have a policy that says if you get x amount of infringements in x number of months (usually about 3 or 4 in about 3 months) you have to do training or a driver assessment, being sacked for getting 5 infringements seems a bit extreme but I suppose there’s probably nothing to stop a company having such a policy, you need to find out exactly what the companies policy is.

Depending on the job most drivers will pick up the odd infringement once in a while, but try to comply with the regulations and you shouldn’t have any problems :wink: