What did I do wrong ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you work over 6 hrs you need to show 30 mins of break, this can be from two 15 min breaks taken during this period or one of 30 mins, you are showing only one break of 21 mins during a 6 hr 20 min work time. The two mins you had as break does not count towards anything as your breaks must be a minimum of 15 mins and cannot be taken at the start or near the end of your shift either.

Scrub that. Just reread it.

Assuming that you never went over your driving time before having the 31 minute break you don’t appear to have done anything wrong.

Legally you only need a break of at-least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours working time and you’ve had that.

Unless you never did any driving that shift the mobile app appears to show your driving time and other work lumped together, check on the main tachomaster website or do a printout.

I’d like to know where people get the idea you have to have a 30 min break before 6 hours of work or combined driving. As long as you have had one 15 min break before the 6 hours is up for the first 6 hour period as long as you have taken at least 30 mins break up to a maximum 9 hour shift then there should not be an issue. If you go over a 9 hour shift then you have to have had at least 45 mins breaks and not worked for more then 6 hours without a break. I often take my second break after the 6-9 hour period and have never had a WTD infringement for it.

That’s the way I’ve always worked it from memory unless I’m wrong but I’m fairly convinced I’ve done it that way.

I have had them where I have gone over by a few minutes over 6 hours but otherwise not.

It could be in the OP case that the place he works for has set Tachomaster rules or the like and they want to see at least 30 mins break before 6 hours is up.

Either way sign it and crack on, WTD isn’t really enforced and as long as you don’t have loads of daft infringements your DCRS score will be fine.

We have had new drivers who don’t understand WTD and end up getting loads if infringements for it and end up with a high DCRS score and end up having counselling for it.

DCRS Is driver compliance risk score at our place. Not sure if it is an actual thing or a workplace thing. I know and understand the OCRS which is the green yellow red scoring system which determines how likely your company vehicles are likely to be targeted for random spot checks for compliance.

All down to the interpretation of the rules
I always understood it was 15 mins and another 15 mins at 6 hrs
Apart from that why should anyone need to settle for nothing more than 2 quick 15 min “tea breaks” in a 9 hr shift is beyond me, what ever happened to lunch breaks of at least 30 min.

lolipop:
All down to the interpretation of the rules
I always understood it was 15 mins and another 15 mins at 6 hrs

The rules are very clear so there can be no mis-interpretation

Some may have their own viewpoint though

I have never understood how drivers at my former company kept getting infringements for wtd, I used to say to them why wouldn’t you want to stop 1 or 2 hours up the road and have a coffee break which kills 2 birds with 1 stone…
Clears first 6hrs wtd and then its 30 mins at lunchtime then crack on.
[emoji16][emoji16]
This is how I do it most days anyway…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tachograph:
Assuming that you never went over your driving time before having the 31 minute break you don’t appear to have done anything wrong.

Legally you only need a break of at-least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours working time and you’ve had that.

Unless you never did any driving that shift the mobile app appears to show your driving time and other work lumped together, check on the main tachomaster website or do a printout.

Yeah I can’t see anything wrong either unless like you said he’s exceeded driving hours which aren’t showing up.

Probably a company thing

tachograph:

He worked for 6:20 without a break is how I read it.

Is it rounding up ? as 0900 to 1501 hrs is obv 6h1min but says 6h 20min

Fell foul of this a few times myself, Rog and Tachographs posts as well as others have helped clear things up in my own mind a lot.

ROG:
The rules are very clear so there can be no mis-interpretation

Some may have their own viewpoint though

You say that but given the number of questions posted, asked at work and infringements issued, the evidence indicates otherwise.

Misinformation so often starts with the firms themselves (TMs and/or their assistants) and DCPC modules run by the inept (those that can do, those that can’t teach) and is then spread by the misinformed further afield. The staggering thing is that so many will listen attentively and accept ‘rules’ that contradict something so simple, freely available and written clearly in black and white.

Working for one of the bread firms, for whatever reason delivery windows were introduced, the Depot Manager (who used to be a driver) ignored the way the routes had been run for years and completely mashed them, one reason being that he did not allow for the need to have a 45 minute break (or a 15 then a 30) as ‘no-one drives for 4 and a half hours’ = too stupid to understand the word ‘■■■■■■■■■■■■

Same firm, one driver was picking up the same WTD infringement virtually every day, he’d take his 45 early (probably sat outside a Tescos) and then do another 6 and a half to 7 hours work before parking up, clear as day but neither he nor those (managers & logistics staff) dealing with his infringements could see why from the print-outs. EDIT: he’s now a manager!

Same firm again, another driver racking up infringements, his solution was to take multiple 30 minute breaks through the working day, which was accepted by the management and delivery times adjusted accordingly, typically I’d do his route 2-3 hours quicker and 2 fingers up to the delivery windows. (Salaried BTW, so certainly no benefit to working extra hours for free)

Same firm, internally run DCPC, most of it was okay but one part of the drivers’ hours module included a totally inappropriate (for the type of work we did) ‘fun’ exercise which was basically a week out on a general haulage job running around the UK & Ireland with timed drops/ pick-ups and them telling you how long each drive would take. Clearly from whoever initially created the exercise, to those at various places along the line who were supposed to make sure it was compliant with the rules, to the person running the course and the over 400 drivers and managers that had sat through it before me, not one checked/ knew the rules/ could be bothered to speak up (possibly none having done that sort of job before) until I pointed out the error in their solution, ‘you can’t do that’, ‘why?’ ‘its a 19 hour day’. The next hour was spent with him on the phone to whoever before he came back into the room to accept that I was right and their solution was wrong.

How many other places are/have been doing the same thing without being pulled up?

Many of the drivers at my current firm are adamant that any WT break has to be 30 minutes, so will take a 30 after 3/4 hours and another 30 after another 3/4 hours, or if they take a 45 early and are likely to go over 6 hours before finishing will take a 30 or even a 45 (even if they’re nowhere near 4 and a half hours driving) and will not accept that an early (or late) 15 will suffice for the WTD. Only one place they’ve gotten that from, their internal DCPC course (run by FTA).

In both firms the managers/ TMs/ logistics staff hold licences that are rarely used, but will keep the DCPC up to date (who knows what tomorrow brings in terms of employment?) so attend the courses and of course will be taking on board any of this misinformation, spouting out the latest edicts based on it and disciplining drivers as a result.

ajt:

tachograph:

He worked for 6:20 without a break is how I read it.

Break at 1437 for 21 min
5h37min into shift

tachograph:

Would I be right in thinking that I didn’t need to take my 30min break until 1521 as my 21 min break pushed back the 6h WTD until then ? ( drive time not withstanding )

UKtramp:
If you work over 6 hrs you need to show 30 mins of break, this can be from two 15 min breaks taken during this period or one of 30 mins, you are showing only one break of 21 mins during a 6 hr 20 min work time. The two mins you had as break does not count towards anything as your breaks must be a minimum of 15 mins and cannot be taken at the start or near the end of your shift either.

0900 -1501 = 6h1min can only assume the 6h20min is the flaming thing rounding up

The one thing that I never infringe on is my break times, I don’t care what the WTD says about how many mins we are supposed to have, these are the minimum guide lines and are not actually enforced any way. I take breaks of a minimum of 15 mins if for example I want a ■■■■■ or anything. I still will take a 45 rather than a 30 to reset my driving time. I think in this day and age that getting a WTD infringement just goes to show how under pressure we actually are and by sitting watching your tacho to tick over to say it’s okay to drive your break has been reached is not really a break at all, you have just simply stopped to stay within the law. It’s all rather like modern day slavery where we are given breaks so the employers are keeping legal. We are the ones who are actually suffering this.

LostSomeWhere:

tachograph:

Would I be right in thinking that I didn’t need to take my 30min break until 1521 as my 21 min break pushed back the 6h WTD until then ? ( drive time not withstanding )

Your first 21 minute break finished at 14:58 so you could then do another 6 hours working time before needing to start another break for the WTD, that would have taken you to 20:58 before needing to start another break.

As you finished work at 20:45 you could have started a 30 minute break at 20:14 then booked a minute work at 20:44 - 20:45 and it would have been legal.

Obviously this is not taking into consideration your driving time.

tachograph:

LostSomeWhere:

tachograph:

Your first 21 minute break finished at 14:58 so you could then do another 6 hours working time before needing to start another break for the WTD, that would have taken you to 20:58.

As you finished work at 20:45 you could have started a 30 minute break at 20:14 then booked a minute work at 20:44 - 20:45 and it would have been legal.

Obviously this is not taking into consideration your driving time.

Thank u