Yet Another WTD Question

Hi Folks :smiley:

Got a Infringement last week, it was brought to my attention yesterday by the office staff. I had done a shift of 09:45 (Start to finish) with a 18 min break, I thought this was ok, the office staff couldn’t really tell me anything other than it was a infringement.

Hope fully some of you guys can steer me in the right direction

Started 07:15 - 1 hour P.O.A
08:15 - 12:42 - 4hrs 27mins mixture of other work and driving
12:42 - 13:00- 18mins break (WTD break)
13:00 - 13:07 - 7mins P.O.A
13:07 - 14:53 - 1hrs 46mins - mixture of other work and driving
14:53 - 15:23 - 30mins P.O.A
15:23 - 17:00 - 1hrs 37mins - mixture of other work and driving
17:00 - Finished

During the shift I had done:
03:19 driving time
04:31 other work
01:37 P.O.A
00:18 break
Shift working time (other work and driving time) 07:50, total time 09:45

I was under the impression up to 6 hours I must show a break of no less than 15 mins, which I did at 12:42 (18mins), and must take another break of no less than 15 mins before working 9 hours. I didn’t actually work 9 hours, I started at 07:15 ad had a hours P.O.A to 08:15, 9 hours from then would be 17:15, so I would have to have another 15 mins by then, but I finished at 17:00

Any help or info on where I went wrong would be greatly appreciated, It was my first infringement and hopefully the last :open_mouth:

Basically, because you worked more than 6 hrs but less than 9 hours, you had to have a total of 30 mins break.

In your example, because you went over 6 hours work you were due another 15 minute break at any point between 6 and 9 hours work. Except the end of the shift of course.

Over 6 hours, is 30 minutes, but can be split into 2 15’s but with 2nd 15 taken between the 6th and 9th hour at your leisure.

Héraultais:
Basically, because you worked more than 6 hrs but less than 9 hours, you had to have a total of 30 mins break.

Ok, so to clarify, If I have 15 mins before my 6 hours, just say at 4 hours, if I work 6hours 2mins I’d still need to show another 15mins break?

Thanks for reply mate :grimacing:

F-reds:
In your example, because you went over 6 hours work you were due another 15 minute break at any point between 6 and 9 hours work. Except the end of the shift of course.

Over 6 hours, is 30 minutes, but can be split into 2 15’s but with 2nd 15 taken between the 6th and 9th hour at your leisure.

Thanks for the reply, Kind of understood what you said, “Except the end of your shift of course.”

Does this mean, my daily rest which started at 17:00 couldn’t count as a WTD break? I would have to have had a break at 16:40 - 16:55 then other work for 5 mins, then begin daily rest period?

Yes. A break cannot be taken at the beginning or end of a shift

Just a quick question. When you were on POA what were you actually doing ?

I never use POA and if I’m not doing anything other than sitting around then I’m on break.

And yes, WTD breaks do not count if they’re at the end of you’re shift. You must show at least 1 minute of other work or driving after the break for it to count. Same goes for the start of your shift. Breaks must interrupt work time.

Terry T:
Just a quick question. When you were on POA what were you actually doing ?

First hours P.O.A was waiting in the canteen for either a unit or my trailer to be loaded,

The 7 mins was when I got my unit and trailer but had to wait for a extra “Urgent” box to be brought out to me

The 30 mins was when I was waiting to get onto a bay at the delivery

Yeah just bang it on break mate, I would in those circumstances.

Terry T:
Yeah just bang it on break mate, I would in those circumstances.

Well I used to but the company I work for now, would call that “falsifying records” and if the first hour of P.O.A I had, if I kept it on break, if vosa checked my card they would assume I started at 08:15 not 07:15, is the way I’m asked to think, 100% legit. My last job, every time the truck stopped it was straight on break lol

On rare occasions I have nothing to do at the start of my shift. One day last week was such a time. When I eventually started work an hour later I did a manual entry for 5 minutes work and 55 minutes break.

If your company have a problem with it then that’s up to them but I don’t know why they would.

Terry T:
On rare occasions I have nothing to do at the start of my shift. One day last week was such a time. When I eventually started work an hour later I did a manual entry for 5 minutes work and 55 minutes break.

If your company have a problem with it then that’s up to them but I don’t know why they would.

No Idea, on it’s not unusual that I can sit up 2-3 hours at the start of the shift, waiting for such and such
 Today was only 30 mins :sunglasses:

So why not have your last block of POA as break ?

F-reds:

I maybe wrong and I will stand corrected but 30 minutes is to be taken in or upto the 1st 6 hours and NOT split into 2 x 15 as you say with the 2nd split between the 6 &9 at your leisure
otherwise that defeats the WTD 6 hour rule
The 30 mins can be split BUT it has to be within the 1st 6hours

You must have had at least 1 minute of other work at the very start of the shift - how can a driver go into work place and not do at least that?

Breaks cannot be taken right at the start or end of a shift - at least 1 minute shown before or after a break is ok for RTD

If the working time in a shift is between 6 and 9 hours then a total of 30 min of breaks should be taken with any break being at least 15 mins

At no point in a shift should a driver do more than 6 hours of work without at least a 15 min break

Lollipop you are wrong :wink:

lolipop:
I maybe wrong and I will stand corrected but 30 minutes is to be taken in or upto the 1st 6 hours and NOT split into 2 x 15 as you say with the 2nd split between the 6 &9 at your leisure
otherwise that defeats the WTD 6 hour rule
The 30 mins can be split BUT it has to be within the 1st 6hours

You are incorrect - who told you that was the correct info?

G6Bob:

Héraultais:

Ok, so to clarify, If I have 15 mins before my 6 hours, just say at 4 hours, if I work 6hours 2mins I’d still need to show another 15mins break?

Could you please just confirm (as I never really get the :grimacing: smiley) that you were actually genuinely thanking me for my succint reply.

If you got to 6 hours exactly and did no more work then no breaks are legally required

If you did say 7 hours of work in a shift then you could have a break of 15 mins at 6 hours work time and then another 15 mins at 6 hours and 59 mins work time leaving 1 min of work before ending the shift

Terry T:
So why not have your last block of POA as break ?

Do you mean, count it as a break or Why didn’t i select break instead of P.O.A?

Héraultais:

G6Bob:

Héraultais:

Could you please just confirm (as I never really get the :grimacing: smiley) that you were actually genuinely thanking me for my succint reply.

Yes of course I was thanking you for the reply, I appreciate it very much as, like I mentioned first and hopefully last infringement.

ROG:
You must have had at least 1 minute of other work at the very start of the shift - how can a driver go into work place and not do at least that?

Breaks cannot be taken right at the start or end of a shift - at least 1 minute shown before or after a break is ok for RTD

If the working time in a shift is between 6 and 9 hours then a total of 30 min of breaks should be taken with any break being at least 15 mins

At no point in a shift should a driver do more than 6 hours of work without at least a 15 min break

Never even crossed my mind, should I have entered at least a minute of work before my first hour of P.O.A?