Changing vehicles mid-shift

It’s been mentioned here that it’s illegal to use a second tacho when you switch to a new vehicle.

Now, I find it a real PITA to remember to record everything manually - I don’t think I’ve ever managed a single shift where I haven’t forgotten to change my Hour Guard mode (particularly changing between “other work” and “driving”, so having to make manual tacho records is just asking for trouble.

So…

When does the manual record have to be up-to-date? i.e. could you put a new tacho into the vehicle, to use it to record your movements, then transfer the information to the manual section of the first disc at the end of the shift (or if/when you were stopped by VOSA)? Or do you always have to have the tacho up-to-date (at least up to the last mode change)?

Why can’t you just put the disc into the second vehicle, recording the 2nd vehicle details in the space provided, and only make a manual entry to cover the time the disc was between vehicles?

If it is because the two vehicles use a different type of disc then it is fine to use two discs, what else could you do?

I thought that you weren’t allowed to have traces from two different vehicles on the front of the tacho - if you changed vehicle, you had to record manually on the back.

Even if you could, I’d like to make sure that I had at least 10 minutes’ gap between removing the chart from the first vehicle and inserting it in the second - to make sure the two traces don’t overlap.

As it is, I’m submitting two tachos - the first has the first vehicle on the front, and a manual record of the second vehicle on the back; the second one has the second vehicle on the front. Hopefully that’ll be good enough :slight_smile:

I was waiting for Neil to reply to this one in case I was missing something obvious.

From the GV 262

Each driver must enter the following information on the record chart.
. the time of any change of vehicle.

I think the one and only time that I have used two charts was when, after changing vehicles six or eight times, I literally ran out of space where I could record the changes in a legible manner.

I certainly wouldn’t bother waiting ten minutes, check the clock, and if looks right, bang it in. Any resulting overlap is due to mechanical tolerances beyond the control of the driver and verified by the manual entry regarding the change of vehicle.

If you start waiting ten minutes, then that can warrant a further manual entry as to your activities during that period.

Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men - Douglas Bader

OK, I stand corrected.

Krankee:
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men - Douglas Bader

That’s why I figured it’d be OK to use a second tacho for the second vehicle rather than record it manually on the back - as long as I keep them together, and submit them together, it’s not like I’m trying to mislead anyone, and I’m keeping a proper record of everything.

I’ll just use 1 tacho from now on…

Nothing wrong with the traces from two vehicles on the front, as long as the details of the 2nd vehicle are recorded. These details are usually recorded in the space provided but if there is no specific place anywhere is OK, as long as no traces are obliterated. Better to have a proper trace than a manual one, the manual one will always be subject to more scrutiny and be less accurate.

The reason for putting the time on the back of the chart is to confirm when you changed vehicles.

Does anyone still use Veeder Root type tachos?