Switching from analogue to digital vehicle in same shift

May seem like a dumb question but when changing from a vehicle with an analouge tacho to a digi tacho in the same shift how would you enter it on the digital tacho that you have been driving that day. I am gathering in the manual entry part but how? sorry if this sounds dumb but only just started using digital tachos

i don’t,i just put my card in a drive.you’ve got the record of what you’ve done already on your tacho chart,so you don’t need to enter all that on your digi card.
the ony part you will have to do is if you’ve taken your tacho out & then been doing other work for a bit,you’d need to account for that time you’ve been working from taking your chart out,to putting your card in the digi tacho.

As JRL said, you dont record it on both mediums, a slight mistake could be seen as falsification

I had a similar thing with Sainsbury’s and have been told this by the tacho guru…

What I used to do on some shifts was firstly drive an analogue, then switch to a digital…but when I inserted my card, I would do a manual entry to the start of my shift and log driving as other work (as their isn’t a driving mode to select)…at the end of my shift I also manual entry the rest of my day onto the analogue chart…then I’d download my card and scan the chart…tachomaster kept on picking up infringements, but they were always cleared when my scanned tacho was handed in…the tacho guru said that you won’t get any action taken against you by VOSA as apparently it’s a very common problem, but done in good faith by drivers who are just a little confused…but this is what I was told to do…

At the start of your shift (say 0100) use your analogue as normal. Let’s say you stop using that vehicle at 0600 and have your break up until 0645 then get given your digi truck at 0700, when you do your manual entry in your digi tacho, enter your start time as 0700, the time you insert your card. THEN on the back of your analogue, you do the manual entry for your break and the 15 mins up to 0700. But on the back of your analogue, make sure you enter the details of your digi vehicle, which includes the time you took charge of it and inserted your card.

…this way, they’ll read your analogue tacho until 0700 and then look at your digi card. If you do it the way I used to do it, it’s just an inconvenience as they’ve effectively got to spend time overlapping the two different sets of data to look for infringements.

At the end of your shift, remember to still do the “end of shift” line on your analogue tacho.

Adam_Mc:
I had a similar thing with Sainsbury’s and have been told this by the tacho guru…

What I used to do on some shifts was firstly drive an analogue, then switch to a digital…but when I inserted my card, I would do a manual entry to the start of my shift and log driving as other work (as their isn’t a driving mode to select)…at the end of my shift I also manual entry the rest of my day onto the analogue chart…then I’d download my card and scan the chart…tachomaster kept on picking up infringements, but they were always cleared when my scanned tacho was handed in…the tacho guru said that you won’t get any action taken against you by VOSA as apparently it’s a very common problem, but done in good faith by drivers who are just a little confused…but this is what I was told to do…

At the start of your shift (say 0100) use your analogue as normal. Let’s say you stop using that vehicle at 0600 and have your break up until 0645 then get given your digi truck at 0700, when you do your manual entry in your digi tacho, enter your start time as 0700, the time you insert your card. THEN on the back of your analogue, you do the manual entry for your break and the 15 mins up to 0700. But on the back of your analogue, make sure you enter the details of your digi vehicle, which includes the time you took charge of it and inserted your card.

…this way, they’ll read your analogue tacho until 0700 and then look at your digi card. If you do it the way I used to do it, it’s just an inconvenience as they’ve effectively got to spend time overlapping the two different sets of data to look for infringements.

At the end of your shift, remember to still do the “end of shift” line on your analogue tacho.

Do you do walk round checks on your second and subsequent vehicles?

Wheel Nut:

We’re told to as we’re a one driver, one truck firm unless we change to a yard spare for whatever reason, usually a 10 year old motor that might only get used twice a week. I rarely use a digi card for this reason but I’ve been wondering how to make a manual entry? I know it’s a stupid question but I’ve never had one minute of digi training in 5 years of having a card, all what I know in terms of using them has been trial and error…

Wheel Nut:

Adam_Mc:

Is this question getting at something or just a general question? But yes…we have to do a walk around check of everything…its actually quite rare for me to drive a rigid truck…most days I do a walk around check of a unit, go find the trailer, do a walk around of that then go on my journey…come back, have break and then do a walk around of the next trailer.

Sometimes we go to “drop and swap” stores…that’s annoying because it means you may…walk around unit, find trailer and do walk around, drive to store and swap trailers, walk around…take trailer to something called RRU, drop trailer, pick up empty trailer, walk around and take back to depot…we can do that 3 times a day!

Adam_Mc:
Sometimes we go to “drop and swap” stores…that’s annoying because it means you may…walk around unit, find trailer and do walk around, drive to store and swap trailers, walk around…take trailer to something called RRU, drop trailer, pick up empty trailer, walk around and take back to depot…we can do that 3 times a day!

Better to do it than not and get a prohibition. :wink:

tofer:

Adam_Mc:

Better to do it than not and get a prohibition. :wink:

True…but there’s only two reason why I don’t like drop and swap stores…they’re never that far away so the job is over in a jiffy (not good when paid hourly) and because there’s los of engine on/off/on/shunt/off/on/off and so on its really inefficient on fuel and just wastes loads…which the company dont like.