Split Shift

On Thur I started work at 07:33 and had used all my rest reductions on Mon Tue Wed.

I got a reload at Rotherham but waited for 2hrs 40min for it so took an extended
break and departed at 18:00hrs

at 19:25 I thought about doing a split shift, park up for another 1hr 20 mins and then be able to do a 16hr day, thus being able to get home friday instead of this morning. :cry:

The question is, would this have been legal ā– ā–  As the second break of 1hr 20 would have run past my 13hr day.

i.e. 07:33 - 20:33 = 13 hrs
start break at 19:25 for 1hr 20min finishes at 20:45 = 13hr 12 min

hope this is clear enough :confused:

Sounds legal to me, and Iā€™m a big ā€œsplit-shift userā€. :wink:

Bit ruddy late asking now, donā€™t you think! You got home today instead of yesterday!! Another weekend half gone!! :angry:
I could have been sat drinking wine with my sister! :imp:

was there any point in even leaving Rotherham when you ended up on a night out ā€¦i would have just gone straight home in the 2 hour wait i would have had my tea, shower and done one :laughing:

Sounds legal to me too, and as you were going to finish at home on Friday you would have plenty of time to make up your shortened breaks.

You can do 16 hour days everyday using the 4 + 8 split shift

Wheel Nut:

Really ? could you please explain how this works, it would save me a lot of grief when i run out of 15ā€¦

steve_24v:

Wheel Nut:

Really ? could you please explain how this works, it would save me a lot of grief when i run out of 15ā€¦

Because you are having 12 hours rest every day :open_mouth:

as with lucy im big user of this basiclly to do a 16 you need 4 hours off during the day you only do this by haveing either 2+2 3+1 and can then reduce to 8 hours at night the above is just to make it easy to understand as lucy is better explaining these things ill let her explain the rest

Will someone please confirm or otherwise if this works:

Start Monday 07.00
Work four days as 8hrs (Non-Driving) with 16 hr Daily Rest up to:

Friday morning start 07.00 - finish 12.00
Daily Rest 7hrs till 19.00
12 shift to 07.00am Sat

48hr Weekly Rest

Start again 07.00 Monday

(opt out of 10hr Night applies under WTD)

If this doesā€™nt work because their is insufficient reat between 12.00 and 19.00 Friday how would split shift accommodate it?

If by flexible working Fri was a 07.00 - 10.00 giving a 9hr Rest and work two extra hours on a thursday is this then the alternative.

Any other suggestion that works would be very helpful.

i think youd have to use the 0700-1000 option cm, a split shift (heres were i get shot down by the ā€œtraffic commisionersā€ :laughing: ) needs to be a minimum of 8 hours rest in a 24 hour period with another four hours(can be split into 1 hour blocks) in the same 24.
well thats the way i always interpreted it anyway
ā€¦as said by all the other posts which i`ve just read making mine look a bit daft :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Split Shift.

The book says:-
Alternatively, 12 hours daily rest may be taken in two or three periods, the last of which must be at least 8 consecutive hours, and all of which must be at least one hour.

So, to translate into hours and minutes.
Using a split shift gives a 16 hour spread-over.

for eg:-
2:00 rest plus 2:00 rest plus 8:00 rest = 12:00 hours rest.
4:00 + 8:00 = 12
1:02 + 3:02 + 8:00 (making absolutely sure you donā€™t move off a minute too early).
Any combination of over 1 hour plus up to 3 hours totalling 4 hours, and an 8 hour sleep.
So starting at 0700, do some work, take a break of over 1 hour, do some more work, take a break of over 1 hour (so that the two breaks added together total 4 hrs or preferably slightly over), do some more work. Finish work and park for the night at 2300.

However, many drivers and most TMs havenā€™t figured out that this alternative has a much broader consequence.

1:30 + 1:30 + 9:00 = 12:00 hours rest, therefore no payback required and does not count as a reduced rest. So you can still use 3 reduced rest periods.
1:00 + 1:00 + 10:00 = 12:00 hours rest. etc.
Or any combination of one or two shortish breaks plus a long break of between 8 and 11 hours, where the shortest break is over 1 hour and the whole lot added together totals 12 hours and the whole lot fits, with work, onto one disc.

Now you know, so can use this knowledge to your advantage. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I was told by someone that the split shift will not be allowed in the WTD although i havent seen it in the WTd literature myself can anyone verify this?

I can verify that they are wrong, Jammy. :grimacing:

I can actually see the split shift being used a lot more with the WTD

If you have a 4 hour POA then you can have 8 hours sleep that night :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I can actually see the split shift being used a lot more with the WTD

If you have a 4 hour POA then you can have 8 hours sleep that night :stuck_out_tongue:

i thought it had to be a 4 hour break? and no poa?.

POA does not count. It must be a rest period or periods.

Those periods must be of not less than 1 hour duration, and must total not less than four hours when taken in no more than two periods.

Go to the Useful Links and download the GV262 which explains it.

I believe that in the proposed updating of the EU Regs, which was to follow the introduction of Digital Tachos, this facility was to be withdrawn, but in the pursuance of typical political ineptitude, the constraining of ten potential mass murderers, has proved more burdensome.

Are we complaining. Like hell. :smiley:

If you need to be putting it on break so you can do a 16 hour shift yo muyst be ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  mad use the poa and chill.

Admin. Please Admin

Lucy can we have a new Icon.

I need one that means some of my posts have to be taken tongue in cheek.

:open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :question:

Simon Said

Split Shift.

The book says:-
Alternatively, 12 hours daily rest may be taken in two or three periods, the last of which must be at least 8 consecutive hours, and all of which must be at least one hour.

So, to translate into hours and minutes.
Using a split shift gives a 16 hour spread-over.

for eg:-
2:00 rest plus 2:00 rest plus 8:00 rest = 12:00 hours rest.
4:00 + 8:00 = 12
1:02 + 3:02 + 8:00 (making absolutely sure you donā€™t move off a minute too early).
Any combination of over 1 hour plus up to 3 hours totalling 4 hours, and an 8 hour sleep.
So starting at 0700, do some work, take a break of over 1 hour, do some more work, take a break of over 1 hour (so that the two breaks added together total 4 hrs or preferably slightly over), do some more work. Finish work and park for the night at 2300.

However, many drivers and most TMs havenā€™t figured out that this alternative has a much broader consequence.

1:30 + 1:30 + 9:00 = 12:00 hours rest, therefore no payback required and does not count as a reduced rest. So you can still use 3 reduced rest periods.
1:00 + 1:00 + 10:00 = 12:00 hours rest. etc.
Or any combination of one or two shortish breaks plus a long break of between 8 and 11 hours, where the shortest break is over 1 hour and the whole lot added together totals 12 hours and the whole lot fits, with work, onto one disc.

Now you know, so can use this knowledge to your advantage.

But :question: :question:

as id have run over my allowed 13hrs could i still do a split :question: :question:

and could i have done it after say 12hrs 55 mins

and how would the hour guard tackle this situation. Any one know for sure :wink:

cos im sure that in the future i may suddenly decide to do a split near the end of my shift lol