Quick answer appreciated!

A friend of mine as been stuck on the A1 for 4 hours in the incident near wetherby! He asked me if its still ok to do a 16 hour shift due to his break, I’ve said I think you can’t do that any longer, am I correct?

Many thanks

Yes you are correct.

Nope he can’t do a 16 hour, sorry. If he was on break for more than 3 hours straight he can have a 9 hour daily rest without it counting as a reduced though.

Fileep:
A friend of mine as been stuck on the A1 for 4 hours in the incident near wetherby! He asked me if its still ok to do a 16 hour shift due to his break, I’ve said I think you can’t do that any longer, am I correct?

Many thanks

If over the 15 then he is allowed to find the nearest safe, legal parking space (or B&B etc if no sleeper cab) - thats it

Thanks for the speedy replies, when did thet stop you doing a 16 hour shift?

Fileep:
Thanks for the speedy replies, when did they stop you doing a 16 hour shift?

11th April 2007

I was stuck for 3:30 mins on the A1 then they turned us around and I ended up parking in Wetherby, my gaffer said as long as I had 3 hours break then I can have a split break and leave after 6 hours?? Is this correct ■■

Sorry for the hi jack :slight_smile:

Nope, you can have a 9 hour, even if you’ve already had 3 reduced daily rests. As usual - a boss is wrong :unamused:

Has there ever been a time when this was allowed as another driver told me the same ■■

Not sure, sorry. Can’t say I remember it from when I started driving 20 years ago, but I’m sure someone will be along presently to let us know for definite…

what sort of driver dosn’t carry a magnet nowadays?
there was a time when a driver didn’t leave home without a blown fuse, or a length of wire.

Darb:
Has there ever been a time when this was allowed as another driver told me the same ■■

If I remember correctly (Memory going :blush: ) under the pre 2007 rules a driver could take 4 + 8 and the 4 could be split into single hours

Darb:

Not that I’m aware of. Under the old rules if you had enough break during your shift you were allowed to reduce your daily rest to 8h but to the best of my knowledge it has never been 6.

Paul

Darb:
I was stuck for 3:30 mins on the A1 then they turned us around and I ended up parking in Wetherby, my gaffer said as long as I had 3 hours break then I can have a split break and leave after 6 hours?? Is this correct ■■

Sorry for the hi jack :slight_smile:

That is the best one I have heard for many a year, and no it isn’t correct or anywhere near :laughing:

ROG:

Darb:

If I remember correctly (Memory going :blush: ) under the pre 2007 rules a driver could take 4 + 8 and the 4 could be split into single hours

That was correct which in effect gave you 12 hours rest, just like now which with two splits gives you 12 hours. It must be 3 + 9 though

dCPC arguments can now commence lol.

But, in all honesty, at least they ask, and in the right place.

ROG:

Darb:

I can remember royally screwing up the 1+1+1+1+8 once to try and get home. When I sat down and worked it out afterwards, I think I’d done something like 32 hours with 10 qualifying hours rest :blush: Funny, I never did find out what happened to the cards for that week :smiling_imp:

Don’t like to brag BUT, I’ve got traffic info on my TomTom and was able to miss all this by going via York and it didn’t take me any longer. For those that got stuck. Call yourselves professionals? You should of thought of the children and checked the traffic situation first! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i ve been in this situation today carrying hazardous gases in a day cab ran right up to 10 hours driving on seconds what would happen if i coudnt get bk do they give you any leway vosa for if your over and nowhere to park

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

Darb:

That was correct which in effect gave you 12 hours rest, just like now which with two splits gives you 12 hours. It must be 3 + 9 though

Not quite correct. Pre April 2007 the split rest was a total of 12 hours which could be in a maximum of 3 parts. The minimum period was not less than 1 hour and the final part a minimum of 8 hours. So you could have 1+3+8 or 2+2+8 or 1.5+2.5+8 for example. The final part being 8 hours gave you the ‘spreadover’ of 16 hours.