Split Shift

the working time directive has no relation to the tacho regs as yet, tacho regs will remain the same.

cm you are breaking the law on friday, a 7 hour rest is no rest at all, the minimum rest period must be 11 hours, reduced three times a week to 9 hours.
if you were to get a tug or the ministry call in and inspect your charts you have worked 24 hours without a rest period, imagine how that will sound to a judge when it’s said like that, although you have 7 hours rest it is not an actual rest period and will not be counted as one, 24 hours without a daily rest period!!
throw the book at him, he’s a menace to all the other road users, ban him from driving, lock him up and throw away the key etc.

David5l:
and how would the hour guard tackle this situation. Any one know for sure :wink:

With the Hour Guard it will only commence counting legible breaks over 1 hr in the Long Break Clock 3rd one down on left side, only when 4 hrs has been amassed on that clock will it allow you to end the daily rest after 8 hrs, however, lets say you have had 3 hrs rest during the shift and it is displaying in the Long Break clock, it will allow you to end your rest after 9 hrs without removing a 9 hr rest reduction segment as you still had the 12 hrs required to fulfill the split shift requirement.

In effect, if you have time showing in the Long Break clock, deduct that from 12 hrs and the total is what you need as rest to fulfill the split shift requirement.

I.E Long Break shows 3 hrs 15 mins, then 8hrs 45 mins is required to fulfill 12 hrs rest requirement.

Hope this helps :wink: :wink:

johnny:
the working time directive has no relation to the tacho regs as yet, tacho regs will remain the same.

cm you are breaking the law on friday, a 7 hour rest is no rest at all, the minimum rest period must be 11 hours, reduced three times a week to 9 hours.
if you were to get a tug or the ministry call in and inspect your charts you have worked 24 hours without a rest period, imagine how that will sound to a judge when it’s said like that, although you have 7 hours rest it is not an actual rest period and will not be counted as one, 24 hours without a daily rest period!!
throw the book at him, he’s a menace to all the other road users, ban him from driving, lock him up and throw away the key etc.

Yep! lock the bugger up he’s a menace, the original question and outline of work was can this be made to fit within a split shift?

I have never advocated taking a 7hr rest. I propose working the following Monday to Thursady (4x 8.5) = 34hrs
Friday 07.00-10.00 (3hrs) then 9hr rest to 19.00 Friday and work 12hrs with a 10hr Driving period, finish by 7.00am Saturday and then 48hrs weekly rest until 07.00 Monday. Gives six working days Mon-Sat.

Please someone tell me if that does’nt work, quickly!

davey said

I.E Long Break shows 3 hrs 15 mins, then 8hrs 45 mins is required to fulfill 12 hrs rest requirement.

Hope this helps

it does and I think I understand it now :laughing:

makes sense that the hour guard gave me the option to count it as an 8 hour break when I started in the morning. Think in future IU’ll be doing a few splits (when its to my advantage

cm, that method works fine.
i will have to start putting smileys in to show i am taking the mick mate.
:sunglasses: :wink: