Split breaks

Could you do 15 hour shifts all week if you had 3+ hours break during each shift ■■

Cheers :smiley:

Only on days that have 27hours in them!
3 hours break during shift plus 9 rest after shift is 12 hours only
Leaving another 12 hours in the 24 hour period.

No absloutely not. You would need 3 hours REST, there is a difference. :wink: Also after your 3 hour REST + your 9 hour REST that only leaves 12 hours duty time. :wink:

yes you can as i do regular. aslong as your 3 hours break is in one uninterrupted block during your 15 hour shift then 9 off for daily rest. don’t get the above comments as your duty is from when you start to when you finish you don’t deduct break from your daily duty please correct me if im wrong somebody.

example how i do it. start 0300 finish 1800 15 hours.had 3 hours 30 mins waiting for a load during the day so on break for that time. have 9 off shift doesn’t count as a reduction due to split break and i get paid 15 hours.

Darb:
Could you do 15 hour shifts all week if you had 3+ hours break during each shift ■■

YES is the simple answer as you said SHIFT

A shift is from when you clock on to when you clock off so starting at 0600 and finishing at 2100 would be a 15 hour shift

If you have a 3 hour BREAK in that shift which ALSO meets the requirements for REST then it can be used as a split daily rest

Whether you get paid or not for those 3 hours is a seperate matter between you and your employer and has no bearing on the EU regs

Darb:

Yes you can do it and if your’e paid by the hour then happy days :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

That’s how I read it too DannyD :smiley:

In the 24 hours there are 12 driving/working/breaks etc and 12 hours split rest, 3 during my shift and 9 away from work :smiley:

A typical tacho for my shift

Darb:
That’s how I read it too DannyD :smiley:

In the 24 hours there are 12 driving/working/breaks etc and 12 hours split rest, 3 during my shift and 9 away from work :smiley:

A typical tacho for my shift

Me to done it for years even when it was 4 hours split and 16 hour shift with 8 off and got paid 16 hours as well. my company are s…t hot with monitoring the hours so if i had been doing it wrong Im sure they would have informed me by now.

Darb:

You can do a 15 hour spread-over all week if you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift and another 9 consecutive hours rest at the end of the shift, as always the 9 hour rest period must be completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

tachograph:

Darb:

You can do a 15 hour spread-over all week if you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift and another 9 consecutive hours rest at the end of the shift, as always the 9 hour rest period must be completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

So is every shift was more or less like that tacho then there’s no problem ■■

I thought so but a few have said otherwise and put doubt in my head :open_mouth:

Darb:
I thought so but a few have said otherwise and put doubt in my head

Some people don’t know the regs though.

Once again.
3 hours break is not enough to be able to split a daily rest period. Break is any time in which you are not driving or doing other work, this is differant from rest, in which you must be able to dispose of your time as you see fit. So if you have confirmed with whoever is tipping you that you will not be disturbed, and can leave your lorry unattented for the next three hours, then yes you could call your three hours rest, and it would count towards a split daily rest. If not it is only a break and will not count towards a split daily rest.
However it would be up to Mr VOSA to prove that the three hours on break on your tacho were break rather than rest, not really worth their time to be honest.

schrodingers cat:
3 hours break is not enough to be able to split a daily rest period

Yes it is if it meets the requirements for rest and is in 1 block.

schrodingers cat:
So if you have confirmed with whoever is tipping you that you will not be disturbed, and can leave your lorry unattented for the next three hours, then yes you could call your three hours rest,

Why is it got to be left unattended ? Your collection for example could be delayed by 3 to 4 hours so therefore you can spend 3 hours on the bed whilst waiting and that can go towards a split break/rest.

schrodingers cat:
Once again.
3 hours break is not enough to be able to split a daily rest period. Break is any time in which you are not driving or doing other work, this is differant from rest, in which you must be able to dispose of your time as you see fit. So if you have confirmed with whoever is tipping you that you will not be disturbed, and can leave your lorry unattented for the next three hours, then yes you could call your three hours rest, and it would count towards a split daily rest. If not it is only a break and will not count towards a split daily rest.
However it would be up to Mr VOSA to prove that the three hours on break on your tacho were break rather than rest, not really worth their time to be honest.

Fair comment. i generally spend my bre ak / rest asleep on the bunk. but like you said rest and break are two different things but Mr VOSA proving it is a different matter, if it means Im going to earn more money my 3 hours will always be rest.

DannyDoncaster:

schrodingers cat:
Once again.

Fair comment. i generally spend my bre ak / rest asleep on the bunk. but like you said rest and break are two different things but Mr VOSA proving it is a different matter, if it means Im going to earn more money my 3 hours will always be rest.

the only difference between rest and break is that a break can be taken in a moving vehicle but rest cannot, so if you are parked with a container on your back and you have been told its going to take 3+ hours you can legally go on rest, as you can do as you like have a sleep, surf the net up to you. there is nothing to say you have to be away from the vehicle, if it did then all trampers would be operating illegally as we take our rest in our cabs every night :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

wildfire:

DannyDoncaster:

schrodingers cat:
Once again.

the only difference between rest and break is that a break can be taken in a moving vehicle but rest cannot, so if you are parked with a container on your back and you have been told its going to take 3+ hours you can legally go on rest, as you can do as you like have a sleep, surf the net up to you. there is nothing to say you have to be away from the vehicle, if it did then all trampers would be operating illegally as we take our rest in our cabs every night :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

What a load of bollox,the definition of rest is that the driver must be able to dispose of his time as he sees fit so must be able to leave the vehicle if he wants to (not many places will allow you to leave your vehicle for a minimum of 3 hours) when I was on containers I found them but they were rare :wink: . The defitition of break is that the driver will not be driving or doing other work. If you can’t see the difference between these two situations then you really need help with the driving rules.

You’re absolutely right in as much as you say that the driver does not need be away from the vehicle, I believe thats what I alluded to earlier, however the driver must have the choice to leave his vehicle if he chooses to (thats the difference between break and rest). :unamused:

transportsfriend.org/hours/rest.html

just read this and there is nothing about you have to be able to leave your vehicle on a REST period? I always took it the stipulation was you had to freely dispose of your time end of, and in a suitable vehicle. don’t know where this leaving your vehicle thing is coming from.

schrodingers cat:

wildfire:

DannyDoncaster:

schrodingers cat:
Once again.

What a load of bollox,the definition of rest is that the driver must be able to dispose of his time as he sees fit so must be able to leave the vehicle if he wants to (not many places will allow you to leave your vehicle for a minimum of 3 hours) when I was on containers I found them but they were rare :wink: . The defitition of break is that the driver will not be driving or doing other work. If you can’t see the difference between these two situations then you really need help with the driving rules.

You’re absolutely right in as much as you say that the driver does not need be away from the vehicle, I believe thats what I alluded to earlier, however the driver must have the choice to leave his vehicle if he chooses to (thats the difference between break and rest). :unamused:

!!!there is nothing in the regs to say that you have to be away from your vehicle for a minimum of 3 hrs,i see fit to go to sleep or watch tv thats my choise, or go and have a crap what ever. i have never found anywhere where i couldn’t get out to use facilities. or are they going to bring me a bucket, so i am free to depose of my time :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

the only bollox bit is this being away from you vehicle for 3hrs :laughing:

Here is the exact wording from the vosa manual

A rest is an uninterrupted period where a driver may freely dispose of his time. Time spent working in other employment or under obligation or instruction, regardless of the occupation type, cannot be counted as rest, including work where you are self employed

This applies to a normal rest period and also a split rest. So imho if you have three hours off and you can do what you want the fine that can be used as a split rest, but if you are told not to leave the truck unattended then you cant count that as rest. Â

Never been to any delivery point in my job where I’ve been told not to leave the vehicle unattended mainly do RDC’s cash and carrys eta, that would mean they would be stopping you from going the toilet etc. so i will always be ok to count it as rest which i have done for all my career. happy days.