Turnpikes boil my ****

They are the latest plague going through Western Canada.I thought that the Taliban in their Frightliners were the pits,especially when emblazened with “Surrey BC” or “Day and Ross”,how wrong I was.
Went to Edmonton,Red Deer,Edmonton,Calgary then Regina and a few points in between this week and bloody turnpikes are everywhere.Try to plan a layover somewhere,and arrive to find the lot full of them,doing their splits and hooks all night long.Pull in to fuel or grab a coffee but I can’t because those idiots are taking up every available piece of ground and then some !!
Pat Hasler moans almost as much as my wifey on a good night,but he doesn’t have to tolerate these over sized pain in the arses,the East coast must be a breeze in comparison… :imp:

Ha Ha Ha … what’s a ‘Turnpike’ ? down here it’s a toll road (and just as much a pain in the ****).

Pat Hasler:
Ha Ha Ha … what’s a ‘Turnpike’ ? down here it’s a toll road (and just as much a pain in the ****).

Rodneys pulling 2 x53’ trailers with no consideration for other drivers,similar to cattle haulers and fridge magnets…don’t get me started :exclamation: :laughing:

flat to the mat:

Pat Hasler:

Rodneys pulling 2 x53’ trailers with no consideration for other drivers,similar to cattle haulers and fridge magnets…don’t get me started :exclamation: :laughing:

Have seen H & R searching for turnpike drivers they got it advitised on their facebook page facebook.com/hrbulletin?ref=ts funny enough their main route is the one you mentioned

Thats a ‘Double or Tandem’ here …

Our company use them, I am licenced to drive them but refuse to.

taffytrucker:

flat to the mat:

Pat Hasler:

Have seen H & R searching for turnpike drivers they got it advitised on their facebook page facebook.com/hrbulletin?ref=ts funny enough their main route is the one you mentioned

If only they’d been advertising for that job 15-20 years ago.It would be great winding everyone up with Carryfast’s travelling circus written in the dirt on the back doors. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

TBH I pulled them on the odd occasion back in 06/07 but since the TC1 has been twinned and the regulations relaxed,ie highway trucks as opposed to day cabs,almost every van company are running them now.Even heard that Brandt are looking at them :unamused:

flat to the mat:
TBH I pulled them on the odd occasion back in 06/07 but since the TC1 has been twinned and the regulations relaxed,ie highway trucks as opposed to day cabs,almost every van company are running them now.Even heard that Brandt are looking at them :unamused:

It’s the productivety and fuel consumption equation that makes the idea a no contest over pulling just one trailer on distance work wherever possible.

But the companies make double the money and only pay about 10c extra per mile to the drivers. They are getting two loads delivered and the drivers of copanies like BBX for example have their drivers un-hooking at the destination city, delivering one load then returning for the other, the pay rate should be double but it’s not even though the company gets double :frowning:

flat to the mat:

If we ever run them I’d be surprised, they pulled out of grain hauling in Canada only, when the super b’s came in, then when the rate per ton dropped for cross border traffic because of the knock on effect, they stopped hauling grain.

We have lost a few jobs over them too, our light loads for Alberta now go into Winnipeg and the customer throws them on the back of a turnpike, this is a big concern as we have some really nice trailers and the back one is always the first one that ends up on its side in the ditch.

I did speak to the bosses about it, their views are not, shall we say, positive :laughing:

Although I have to say one of our trucks with two black reefers behind it would look a bit tasty, especially at night :laughing:

lol…NMM .you would have to get the road into your yard widened a little to get a train out …perfect chance while its dug up the now…
:smiley: :unamused:
jimmy

Its crazy you got some guys who are going to work for H&R from the UK asking if they can go straight onto the turnpikesif they got more then 4 yrs experiance in the UK :S Plus they are only staying in Canada on the main routes. The excuse i seen for pulling them is instead of two trucks doing the trip and doing 7mpg they have one truck doing 5mpg so therefore better for the enviroment

taffytrucker:
Its crazy you got some guys who are going to work for H&R from the UK asking if they can go straight onto the turnpikesif they got more then 4 yrs experiance in the UK :S Plus they are only staying in Canada on the main routes. The excuse i seen for pulling them is instead of two trucks doing the trip and doing 7mpg they have one truck doing 5mpg so therefore better for the enviroment

The are just cab happy and want to drive the longest truck they can. Doubles are scary to drive and you need real skills. In NY and MA taking and passing your CDL A is not enough, you get the written doubles and tripples test at your request and you are licenced but you have to then take a separate state doubles test before you get the extra permit to actually get in the NY Thruway or Masspike.

The biggest problem with the doubles is they drive down rates, both for carriers and drivers :unamused:

The rates between Winnipeg and Calgary/Edmonton are way down on what they used to be, that’s if you can find a load in the 1st place :unamused:

newmercman:
The biggest problem with the doubles is they drive down rates, both for carriers and drivers :unamused:

:confused:

If that’s right surely it would contradict most of the long haul sector of the Australian industry :question: .Effectively it’s all about fuel so for the operator it has to be a no contest choice wherever the regs allow them :question: .

The figures given by the driver of this outfit (4 mpg at 80 t gross) (see comments page 4) seem to show that even running with an old tech uprated 600 hp 3408 it gets similar fuel efficiency,when it’s running as a doubles outfit,to a modern 40 tonne gross euro wagon :question: . :bulb:

youtube.com/watch?v=xYdTsFMA … re=related

Carryfast, enough is enough mate, it’s time for you to step in to the real world now :open_mouth:

So hold on tight my misguided friend and take this in, for I shall only say it once…

A haulier may make more money from each tractor unit and driver by using it to pull more trailers, that’s economics 101, but what it also does is allow them to take on two loads that individually would not be profitable and yet they still earn money, everyone else suffers because that lower figure now becomes the norm and therefore rates are driven down, as rates come down, so do wages. FACT :bulb:

Not everyone has a network that allows them to run turnpike doubles, you cannot do deliveries with them, it’s strictly terminal to terminal, the larger carriers can do it as they have the infrastructure in place, the smaller ones are up ■■■■ creek :unamused:

As for getting decent fuel economy out of a mechanically controlled V8 CAT, well I’d need a lot more proof than a youtube video to believe that, physics are physics and they dictate that to move more mass with more rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag will require more energy to be used, energy in this case comes from the burning of diesel, so more weight etc, more fuel. FACT :wink:

a modern euro 40 tonne unit and trailer gets about 9 mpg so no where near the 4mpg just as effective over here to use 2 units

taffytrucker:
a modern euro 40 tonne unit and trailer gets about 9 mpg so no where near the 4mpg just as effective over here to use 2 units

An 80t gross outfit pulled by a CAT 3408 powered OZ spec tractor unit isn’t the same thing as comparing like with like with a 40 tonner euro wagon.But the fact that it’s still able to get 4 mpg running at 80 t gross says everything and that’s close enough.

A like with like comparison would be pulling the same 80 t gross here but with a modern euro spec tractor like a 620/730 V8 Scania.You also need to factor in the better payload and maintenance/running costs advantages of a doubles outfit using a dolly than the weight disadvantage and overall running costs of having two tractor units to do the same job. :bulb:

newmercman:
Carryfast, enough is enough mate, it’s time for you to step in to the real world now :open_mouth:

So hold on tight my misguided friend and take this in, for I shall only say it once…

A haulier may make more money from each tractor unit and driver by using it to pull more trailers, that’s economics 101, but what it also does is allow them to take on two loads that individually would not be profitable and yet they still earn money, everyone else suffers because that lower figure now becomes the norm and therefore rates are driven down, as rates come down, so do wages. FACT :bulb:

Not everyone has a network that allows them to run turnpike doubles, you cannot do deliveries with them, it’s strictly terminal to terminal, the larger carriers can do it as they have the infrastructure in place, the smaller ones are up [zb] creek :unamused:

As for getting decent fuel economy out of a mechanically controlled V8 CAT, well I’d need a lot more proof than a youtube video to believe that, physics are physics and they dictate that to move more mass with more rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag will require more energy to be used, energy in this case comes from the burning of diesel, so more weight etc, more fuel. FACT :wink:

But that argument still leaves the inconvenient truth of the health of the Ozzy haulage industry which surely would have gone down the tubes by now having taken the idea to it’s logical conclusion by not just using doubles but sometimes putting one or two more trailers on the back for good measure. :open_mouth: :wink:

And although it might have been just a youtube vid it was the actual operator/driver who gave those figures and there’s no reason for him to have said it’s doing 4 mpg if he’s actually getting less from the outfit :question: .There’s plenty of other examples to show that fuel consumption doesn’t increase in line with gross weight increase.Which is why the Scandinavians aren’t running at 40 tonnes max and we are’nt still running everywhere at 32 t max. :bulb:

There’s a tiny flaw in your argument Carryfast…WE AIN"T TALKING ABOUT AUSTRALIA :open_mouth: