Toronto.

Stuck in this marvelous city for I don’t know how long :frowning:
Don’t like this scabby Flying J, so I will use the rest of my hours WiFi and go back to the dam factory :frowning:

now now this is Canada wait all day drive all nite l.o.l going home next month cant stand living the dream anymore yeehaa :smiley:

Pat isn’t living the Canadian dream, Steve. He’s on for Foodliner down in the US and gets paid whether his wheels turn or not, not like us muppets. Good luck back in the UK, how nice it will feel sitting on a bay somewhere for hours and not feeling like you’re having the pee taken out of you as it won’t affect your wages negatively one bit.

oh right m8 hes ok then ye suppose I find something to moan about now and again but think got job running spain not great money but wanna run spain again and show the Canadian dorris bit Europe and how we do things back home missed a Atlanta with dave tisdale last week couldn’t get up there in time so he took it he back thurs so prob come up and last 2and half wks for him u back from florida then

Robinhood is right Steve, I get a minimum weekly plus any detention time on top, so I am on hourly pay since 07.00am Friday until I leave the plant. As it happens today the receiver arrived and said I would be out of there by 3.00pm, but then he vanished and some other guy said … “No, it could be Monday”
My wife is now near Buffalo on her way here to the Holiday Inn in Missassauga to spend two nights with me, the manager at the factory drove me here after he finished his shift, it’s 25 miles from the factory.

wow nice 1 m8 nice to know someone getting treated right av nice weekend m8 :smiley:

What’s all this ‘like us muppets’ ■■■■■■■■?

You mugs may sit around for free, but I never have, not as a company driver and not (now) as an O/O.

I’m not alone in that either, yet all I ever read from you is how crap your job is, waiting for countless hours without pay, being expected to make up for lost time etc etc etc. I know you keep changing jobs, but you appear to be changing the name on the door and little else.

The definition of insanity is to keep repeating an exercise and expect a different result.

well mr cleverman u r so lucky and happy with ur lot I suggest u don’t read posts on here especially a conversation between couple guys if it sends u into the mouthy t…t u seem to be av a beautifule day . :smiley:

You call it luck, I call it common sense :exclamation:

I came here for a better life, so working all the hours under the sun (or moon) and sitting waiting for loads on zero wages were not a part of that plan.

Something to consider, I’m not the one coming on the forum whining and bleating about how badly I’m being treated and saying I’ve had enough :unamused:

ive been honest as I could some make it some don’t each to there own and as for whineing just saying it as it is after 9yrs here iv decided to go home and im happy at that and as I said b4 iam not anti Canada u were the 1 that started down the insult trail so on that note enough said

And what made you think I was referring to you :question:

Did you mention sitting around for nothing like “us muppets” :question:

No, so what prompted you to jump up on your high horse :question:

Robinhood constantly moans about how ■■■■ the jobs are in Canada, how bad the traffic is on the Eastern Seaboard, about the lack of parking and quality of truckstops, about how he kept getting fired for refusing to run day and night, from the same firm I might add :exclamation:

I have issues with all of that and cannot understand somebody constantly moaning about how ■■■■ things are, yet doing nothing whatsoever to change them :unamused:

If that offends you, well I’m sure you can imagine how little I care :wink:

newmercman:
And what made you think I was referring to you :question:

Did you mention sitting around for nothing like “us muppets” :question:

No, so what prompted you to jump up on your high horse :question:

Robinhood constantly moans about how [zb] the jobs are in Canada, how bad the traffic is on the Eastern Seaboard, about the lack of parking and quality of truckstops, about how he kept getting fired for refusing to run day and night, from the same firm I might add :exclamation:

I have issues with all of that and cannot understand somebody constantly moaning about how [zb] things are, yet doing nothing whatsoever to change them :unamused:

If that offends you, well I’m sure you can imagine how little I care :wink:

I tell people there is horrendous traffic on the eastern seaboard because there is, any one with eyes could see that, even you. I tell of the lack of truckstops in places like Massachusetts and Connecticut because there is a lack in those places, to almost UK levels. I say this because people who are not here have the misconception that all of North America is open roads and loads of truckstops and anyone thinking of coming to the Maritimes to do triangle work needs to understand that it just isn’t like that.

As for getting fired numerous times by a cowboy reefer outfit who wanted to sit you most of the day and then expected you to run all night and the next day and saying I did nothing about it. How is that then? I think the very fact that I got fired 3 times by the same firm meant that I actually stood my ground and did do something about it, I didn’t bend over and take it up the arse. The fact that they themselves backed down a day or two later and asked me to return to work, and the fact that I was in the middle of my PR application meant that I didn’t leave the firm until I had PR. Where do you take exception here? I have since moved on to new jobs which are a world of difference but there is still no escaping the fact that almost all long haul work on this continent means mileage pay and either no paid waiting time or a token gesture that in no way makes up for lost earnings while sitting through no fault of your own.

Myself and Steve here have both worked for similar types of companies in the Maritimes, though not the same companies, and as such have similar experiences and thats where the “us muppets” comment comes from.

Any one sitting around on mileage pay is a muppet in my opinion and I’ve certainly being a muppet, all be it a very unwilling one in the past and in putting up with these crap companies in order to get PR and move on we’ve all supported the rubbish system that much of Canadian long haul work runs by. I now work for a firm that won’t sit me around and on the rare occasion that they do, will pay me quite well for it but in this area and even by broad Canadian standards is very very rare. Given the high volume of traffic to this forum from people wanting to come to Canada, especially those wanting to come to this part of Canada I feel its important to make these points well known so they can make up their own mind. Take exception to that all you want.

I disagree, there are thousands of jobs out there that pay waiting time, granted you don’t always have a shot at them while waiting for immigration stuff to be sorted out, but they do exist. I’m quite sure there are plenty out east too, maybe not right on your doorstep, but I personally know a handful of blokes living in NB who work for MB based firms and they do very well, both in wages and home time.

Yes, the traffic and truckstop situation is a nightmare out east, but there are 40 other states and all the western provinces to drive around in, so you don’t have to run the Eastern Seaboard, just as you don’t have to work for a local company and accept the conditions that are part and parcel of life in the Maritimes.

hey there mr robinhood glad u had some input but u flogging dead horse there m8 l.o.l errr ye u do have to run eastern seabord if u live maritimes and great life living m/times and having to go mb sk wherever to be treated with some kind of respect that’s why I tried to help guys thinking of coming out on where to pros/and/cons oh by the way I don’t really need telling how many us states there is as like u I travelled many times but don’t spoil ur day of driver l.o.l all the best true brit :smiley:

No stevejones you are not telling it how it is, you are telling it how it can be. Exactly the same as I am. There are a number of ways of doing things and depending on your circumstances different things will appeal to you.

I don’t put up with a job I don’t like, I got tired of running to the US a few years ago, so I stay in Canada now, that doesn’t appeal to a lot of people, but I prefer it, so that’s what I do. I could moan about plenty of things, but I prefer to be objective about it, I am doing what I want to do, my choice, so what is the point in focusing on the negative aspects of my choices :question:

You say that you’re just putting both sides across, so that people are aware of the downsides, well it sounds a lot like moaning to me as I’m not reading any of the positives.

heres a positive for ya bye bye .

Hahaha, many a true word… :laughing:

I do not know any of you personally, but from reading this board for the last year or so, I have noticed Robinhood very down to earth comments, not trying to paint a rosy picture, like some others on this board and on some other one and I have a feeling if I was going to ask someone for a personalized advice I would go to Robinhood.

Hi NMM
you said:
“I disagree, there are thousands of jobs out there that pay waiting time”

Since there are thousands of jobs out there that pay waiting time and are in general very good jobs, and you know where to find them, why don’t you match them with thousands of Brits looking for such jobs that couldn’t find them?

“You say that you’re just putting both sides across, so that people are aware of the downsides, well it sounds a lot like moaning to me as I’m not reading any of the positives.”

so, talking only about positives is OK, negatives can not be mentioned at all?

I started a thread some time ago, and asked everyone to contribute to it listing clearly negatives and positives, there are a lot of negatives on that list and not so many negatives, is that thread one huge moan?
Would you care to add some more positives to that list, please?

well said m8 I sort of give up yday as for robinhood hes like me just tries to be fair both sides I met robinhood 5yrs ago when 1st got here he knows how things are honest guy gd luck :smiley:

hkloss1:
I do not know any of you personally, but from reading this board for the last year or so, I have noticed Robinhood very down to earth comments, not trying to paint a rosy picture, like some others on this board and on some other one and I have a feeling if I was going to ask someone for a personalized advice I would go to Robinhood.

Hi NMM
you said:
“I disagree, there are thousands of jobs out there that pay waiting time”

Since there are thousands of jobs out there that pay waiting time and are in general very good jobs, and you know where to find them, why don’t you match them with thousands of Brits looking for such jobs that couldn’t find them?

“You say that you’re just putting both sides across, so that people are aware of the downsides, well it sounds a lot like moaning to me as I’m not reading any of the positives.”

so, talking only about positives is OK, negatives can not be mentioned at all?

I started a thread some time ago, and asked everyone to contribute to it listing clearly negatives and positives, there are a lot of negatives on that list and not so many negatives, is that thread one huge moan?
Would you care to add some more positives to that list, please?

Loads of well paid work for those that want it , or want to for for it to be more precise . We’ve been advertising since March time for a driver , 4 and 4 , guaranteed minimum , paid for every minute of your time , overtime and holiday pay , plus exceptional benefit package . Still awaiting an applicant :unamused: Could even come and haul fuel for the Co-op and earn 70-80k working Mon-Fri , then there’s the oil patch for the youngs uns innit M8 :laughing: :laughing: Western Canada is very different compared to the Eastern seaboard.