FIRST RUN!!!

:open_mouth: help just got a phone call from the agency. first time out solo in a class one any advice?

Avoid any car Truck interfacing! :smiley:

Sure it will be fine.

take your time

is the best advice i can give

where are you going what are you delivering,if your not sure about where your delivering to get out and have a look nothing worse then turning into a yard and finding you have got to back out onto the road because theres no room to turn around.

best off luck scooby youā€™ll love it :smiley:

jon

Often quoted here, when reversing, if youā€™re not 100% sure:
Get
Out
And
Look.

As for my advice (from recent(ish) experience of my first day as LGV C)ā€¦
The first day will be a disaster. Everything will go wrong. Youā€™ll end up massively stressed.

Whatever the agency told you, itā€™ll be wrong. ā€œ5 dropsā€ will be ā€œ8 dropsā€. ā€œ100 miles awayā€ will be ā€œ250 miles awayā€. ā€œEasy, pre-planned routesā€ will be ā€œsorry, that routeā€™s not usually done by this depot, and I donā€™t know where it isā€. :unamused:

But, at the end of the day, itā€™ll be over, and it can only get better from thereā€¦ :slight_smile:

thanks for all the advice. started at 6pm taking a tanker of flour from Kirkcaldy to Aberlour. A round trip of about 520kms.Had to drop the full tank and pick up an empty,in the rain, in a dark yard by myself :open_mouth: [first time i had done a change over since my test]but i muddled through and got home about 4am.must have done allright got another run tonight from Tescos in Livingston[funny how i canā€™t get an application for a job there till iā€™ve been driving for a year] but who cares got to learnto walk before i can run
scooby

And, the single most important piece of information for new drivers:

Believe only half of the things you see,
and nothing that you hear!

scooby doo:
thanks for all the advice. started at 6pm taking a tanker of flour from Kirkcaldy to Aberlour. A round trip of about 520kms.Had to drop the full tank and pick up an empty,in the rain, in a dark yard by myself :open_mouth: [first time i had done a change over since my test]but i muddled through and got home about 4am.must have done allright got another run tonight from Tescos in Livingston[funny how i canā€™t get an application for a job there till iā€™ve been driving for a year] but who cares got to learnto walk before i can run
scooby

So what was all the worrying about? :laughing: :wink: .

Nice one Scooby, hope you enjoyed your first trip, sounds like it was less eventful than my first one, long may it continueā€¦

adios amigo :grimacing:

Allrighty :smiley:

scooby doo:
Had to drop the full tank and pick up an empty,in the rain, in a dark yard by myself :open_mouth: [first time i had done a change over since my test]but i muddled through

Scooby, you probably didnā€™t see it this way at the time, but that was idealā€¦all quiet & no interruptions. i.e. 100% concentration without wondering whoā€™s watching you. OK, you can do without the rain, but that canā€™t be helped.

Rgds, Jonathan

top man scooby, sound slike it went well mateā€¦i remember my first day a couple of weeks ago and it nearly killed me lol with the stressā€¦but i am gettin in the swing of things now and itā€™s all falling into place slowlyā€¦one thing you got to remember that now you have passed your test its all uphill from here and this is where the real learning starts and always ask if your not sureā€¦i have not met one driver in the last 2 weeks who wasnā€™t prepared to help me out mate :wink: :laughing:

Sounds like youā€™ve landed on your feet Mate. Nothing to worry about really, was it :smiley: :question:

Yes ,you cant beat a nice quiet night run,nobody watching,take your time,your getting paid for it and good luck.
regards derek

Well Done scooby. Sounds like you did great on your first run.
Was it as bad as you first thought??.. Hope it wasnt. But I agree with Driverone, okay so it was dark and wet, but doing your trailer swap with no distractions was the best way to go. Its been mentioned on here before, but if ever you get interupted during the hitching or un-hitching, dont try and remember where you was, just go right back to the start and go through it againā€¦ that was you dont forget anythingā€¦

Best of luck for the future mateā€¦ :wink: :wink:

AndyM:
Well Done scooby. Sounds like you did great on your first run.
Was it as bad as you first thought??.. Hope it wasnt. But I agree with Driverone, okay so it was dark and wet, but doing your trailer swap with no distractions was the best way to go. Its been mentioned on here before, but if ever you get interupted during the hitching or un-hitching, dont try and remember where you was, just go right back to the start and go through it againā€¦ that was you dont forget anythingā€¦

Best of luck for the future mateā€¦ :wink: :wink:

I was interrupted on Birkenhead docks one saturday morning a few weeks back. As soon as i heard the ā€œtwangā€ on pulling out from under I knew immediately what it was: pulled both air lines off the back of the unit & wrecked the ISO cable plug. Doh!
Oh well, its taken me 13 years & 100ā€™s of trailer swops to do that dumb ā– ā– ā–  trick!

Since that, iā€™ve changed my system; i used to start at the back, no. plate (& lenses if necessary) & work forward. Now I start behind the cab & work backwards whether hitching or dropping. The theory being that if i forget something again, its likely to be no. plate/lenses which is not a major issue.

Rgds, Jonathan.

Driveroneuk:
Since that, iā€™ve changed my system; i used to start at the back, no. plate (& lenses if necessary) & work forward. Now I start behind the cab & work backwards whether hitching or dropping. The theory being that if i forget something again, its likely to be no. plate/lenses which is not a major issue.

Rgds, Jonathan.

Well, I was given a bit of advice from my dad. He always told me to start at the back and work forward when dropping off a trailer, coz that way, you go and get your number plate, then the next job is the legsā€¦ this means that they are ALWAYS down when you are disconnecting your lines and pulling the Pin on the fifth wheel. If anything goes wrong, pulling the pin or lines, the trailer wont go crashing off the back of the unit, if anything untoward was to happen.

Thatā€™s just why i USED to do it in the way in which I did Andy.
I guess no one system is infallable, given the fact that humans make errors from time to time.
BTW, I pull the pin last & always try to look at the legs just b4 i pull it.

Things have changed anyway for meā€¦iā€™m now working with deep pin trailers & have to pull forward a bit with the lines still on in order to gain access.

removed posting, it refered to my posting above, which did not read correctly, but turned out 2b low memory on my pc.

mod, u can remove this oneā€¦save clutter :slight_smile: