First agency job!

Passed my class 2, 2 weeks ago & licence has just arrived.
Joined the agency last week but could not drive until my licence arrived,
anyway, took my Licence in this morning, & just had a call " do you want to do a run tonight" , 7,30pm :open_mouth:
Its for night freight, to ,either manchester or Glasgow, class 2 work form sunderlandā€¦to say Iā€™m a bit nervous is an understatement.
Is there anything I need to know/takeā– ā– ?

john

Firstly, well done on securing some work! Always good to hear.

So far as what to take - where do I start?

Maps, grub, drink, cash, overnight bag (yes, I know itā€™s a nightshift but youā€™ll be glad of it if you end up stuck out) with toiletries and clean grundies. Squeeze a sleeping bag in as well. Itā€™s a pet thing of mine that thereā€™s no such thing as ā€œday workā€. Of course there is often no prob - but youā€™ll be glad of that bag if it goes wrong on you. Take any PPE youā€™ve got.

What you should know is basic driversā€™ hours regs and tacho. Make sure you check the truck properly before use for roadworthiness and load security/weight. Make sure you know the companies policies for h+s and defect reporting etc.

Make sure you know where you are going. Write the route or prompters down in big writing so you can glance at it easily. Donā€™t be pressurised. Take your time without creeping about and get the truck back without incident. Make it clear that youā€™re available for the following night as well.

Thereā€™s an endless list but the above would be a good start.

Donā€™t forget to take your sense of humour with you!!

All the very best

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done koikeeper on getting your first job :smiley:, donā€™t forget your mobile phone & contact number (just in case), take your time & things should go smoothly, (if you rush thats when things go wrong). Happy trucking :smiley:

Well last night went well , bit of a let down though it was only a 7.5 tonne truck, with a drive to liverpool,
still it was experience especially with the digi tacho, took a bit of working out, but remembered i had my Truckers handbook,
what a godsend that was, explained it perfectly in simple terms :blush: .
The weather was not good, spray on the roads & windy ( felt like gale force :open_mouth: )ā€¦ & night time driving ā€¦takes abit of getting used to especially if you are tired in the 1st place, but i suppose thats what happens with agencies , with spur of the moment jobs.
After all that Iā€™m looking forward to the next one :smiley:

john

Donā€™t be disapionted that it was only a 7.5 tonne truck, at least you gained some good experience - without misshap, & learned a bit more about tachoā€™s lol, did you remind the agency about more work, happy trucking

Lucky break Iā€™d say. Iā€™ve spoke a few agencies who have said theyā€™ll take me on and one said theyā€™d start me off on 7.5 tonners, just to get a bit of confidence and experience.

Bonnie lassā€¦I have said to the agency that I will do any work they have, absolutely anything,
they asked about my availabilty next week m so just waiting.

A questionā€¦on that 7.5 tonner (MAN) there were 2 paddles on the right of the steering wheel
indicators & wipers on the left,i did not know what they were so didnt touch them lolā€¦any Ideas??

john

Hi Koikeeper

I use to run from Millenthorpe by J34 on the M6 everynight upto Cambuslang for NIghtfrieght my first job on Class One stuff. If its the same run you are sorted mate, and I mean into Cambuslang. Nice easy tip and a good set of blokes tipping you, or at least they were when I was in the place. They normally have you turned around fairly quick and back down the road. If its the same run you will be fine mate although as the other posts have said always better to air on the side of caution and be prepared with your maps and night/day out stuff.

If you do get a regular run they may well send you the other way to the hub in the middlands off Jct 1/2 M6 if my memory serves me, either way not a bad run.

Hope it goes ok for you.

koikeeper:
A questionā€¦on that 7.5 tonner (MAN) there were 2 paddles on the right of the steering wheel
indicators & wipers on the left,i did not know what they were so didnt touch them lolā€¦any Ideas??

Not sure about the 7.5 tonne MAN but the one stalk would be cruise control, Iā€™m sure someone will be able to tell you exactly what the other one is :wink:

tachograph:

koikeeper:

Not sure about the 7.5 tonne MAN but the one stalk would be cruise control, Iā€™m sure someone will be able to tell you exactly what the other one is :wink:

Im sure one is the engine brake and the other sets the cruise control and also changes the gears manualy if its an automatic,

Thanks guys,

I thought it might be the cruise control,

& come to think about it the other paddle had a picture of an engine on it,so obviously the engine brake

Just recieved the the AA "close up Truckers Atlas, Ā£12.00 free delivery at amazon, looks very easy to read with bridges, heightsm weights, & speed camerasm
Iā€™m well pleased with it

john

Ideally you want to do all this stuff before you pull off. Wouldā€™ve saved your right foot a bit if youā€™d done that run down the motorway on cruise. Always useful to know every aspect of the truck, you never know when you might need something like main beam or engine brakes etc.

koikeeper:
Bonnie lassā€¦I have said to the agency that I will do any work they have, absolutely anything,
they asked about my availabilty next week m so just waiting.

john

I have driven 18 tonne MAN amongst others, one was engine brake (press end) & other cruise control But donā€™t know if its the same in a 7.5 tonne MAN. Itā€™s a good idea to make sure you know every gadget & button & switch before you go anywhere :exclamation: :smiley: