Tachograph disc

When you insert an anologue tachograph disc in to a tachograph how do you know which way round to insert it so your driving is recorded on the correct side or do they only fit in one way

It is possible to insert cards the wrong way up, in general the wax on the card should face up as you look at it from the drivers seat.

A hinged analogue will fold open and the rear of the chart sits on the chart table, you can then see the stylus or stylii.

On an analogue cassette it still goes wax face up for driver 1 and beneath the separator plate for driver 2

ps.

I think there used to be some stipulation that you or the ministry were able to open the head without removing the card to view the trace. Long gone also.

Wheel Nut:
It is possible to insert cards the wrong way up,

If inserted upside down then it fits but will not do a trace - of course I have NEVER done that :blush: :blush: :blush:

If you can see the ‘recording/trace pins’ then the shiney side faces them.

What a pity that such elimentary information wasn’t passed on during training :laughing: :laughing:

On older motors where the tacho head is behind the steering wheel the white side faces the road when the thing is closed. Those new ones with a drawer the white faces the sky.

alamcculloch:
On older motors where the tacho head is behind the steering wheel the white side faces the road when the thing is closed. Those new ones with a drawer the white faces the sky.

That’s why I said what I did in my last post - the bit about the recording needles :wink:

Peter Smythe:
What a pity that such elimentary information wasn’t passed on during training :laughing: :laughing:

could have been trained in a truck with a digi and only had the analogue explained which could easily be forgotten :bulb: :question:

alamcculloch:

Which white side? :laughing:

Oh, you mean the side with the 24 hr clock on it, Err :confused:

How do I spell facetious? :smiley:

The cards that I am issued with are a buff colour on the non trace side.

could have been trained in a truck with a digi and only had the analogue explained which could easily be forgotten

That’s called grasping at straws! What’s wrong with demonstrating with an old tacho head? Or showing the trainee in a suitably equipped vehicle if one is available.

Hard fact is that the majority of trainers just overlook this minor detail! :laughing: :laughing:

It is a shame that with both styles of tacho still being in equal existence (before analogue is completely lost) that training schools are only able to offer training on one type of tacho (to pass the test, should the tacho show me/tell me question arise). Alternatively, there are agencies around that will provide additional training to get you up to speed with what the logistics world is working with. I think I’m fortunate enough to have only had to use one type of tacho (found in volvos approx 10 years old), so I’m sorted for the time being and I can learn about digital tachos at a later date from drivers in the newer vehicles at work

When I was training the tacho was mentioned but not really part of the course,mind you this was pre theory and hazard perception tests.I suppose its changed days now.

Peter Smythe:

could have been trained in a truck with a digi and only had the analogue explained which could easily be forgotten

That’s called grasping at straws! What’s wrong with demonstrating with an old tacho head? Or showing the trainee in a suitably equipped vehicle if one is available.

Hard fact is that the majority of trainers just overlook this minor detail! :laughing: :laughing:

Has anyone got a Veeder Root locking ring?, it doubles up a clock key

REMEMBER check the disc codes against the tacho codes in vehicle must match or will not record correctly ,saying that most are now universal but get em from a boot sale :laughing: you could get caught out

Peter Smythe:

Couldn’t agree more…we start to train this in the theory and have a tacho head in the classroom.

ROG:
could have been trained in a truck with a digi and only had the analogue explained which could easily be forgotten :bulb: :question:

So…no excuse 25 quid buys an analogue one from the breakers…sorted

alamcculloch:

I keep getting issued with tachos, but the trouble is the chances of me driving the 2 trucks fitted with them are slim as I wouldnt get everything on and if I did I’d be weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell over weight… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:

alamcculloch:

I keep getting issued with tachos, but the trouble is the chances of me driving the 2 trucks fitted with them are slim as I wouldnt get everything on and if I did I’d be weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell over weight… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

7.5 tonners?? :laughing:

garnerlives:

DAF95XF:

alamcculloch:

7.5 tonners?? :laughing:

They’ve been upgraded to 12.5 tonners, but yeah thats what they are… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i153.photobucket.com/albums/s218 … acho04.jpg

Writing goes face up so when you close the tacho it makes contact with the scribes.

i153.photobucket.com/albums/s218 … etacho.jpg

On the cassette tacho, make sure you get the chart underthe 2 teeth at the top or it will chew the tacho to pieces! I know this through experience!

theseatonslicer:

Writing goes face up so when you close the tacho it makes contact with the scribes.

On the cassette tacho, make sure you get the chart underthe 2 teeth at the top or it will chew the tacho to pieces! I know this through experience!

I lent you a couple of image tags to illustrate your post, Hope you don’t mind :wink:

Has anyone got a pop up toaster from a Volvo?