Introduction to the tachograph... WITH PICS

Hi, in the picture of the tacho you first posted what does the button do between the modes, under the odometer?

Thanks.

Here’s another in my series of “introductions” to unfamiliar sounding truck-stuff.
This time I’ve selected the tachograph, and deliberately kept the introduction non-technical. So, what is a tachograph??

The easy answer is that it’s a device that records time, distance and a driver/crewmember’s activities.

The tachograph that you’re most likely to see in a training vehicle is the “analogue” type like this:
Sorry about the broken part in the top left, this one has clearly suffered from advanced numptyism :wink:

When you use the tachograph, you indicate your activity by turning the switch marked “1” to the correct setting.
(The switch marked “2” is for the second crewmember.)

To insert a tachograph chart:
You open the face by turning the key (at the top of the first pic) to the left, which unlocks the face enabling you to open it:

There are 3 needles in the slot (between the head seals) which make marks called “traces” on the wax-covered disc called a “tachograph chart” that you can see the edge of in the second pic.

Somebody was bound to ask :unamused:
:sunglasses: So here’s one I made earlier: :wink:

Next we have the more modern “digital” tachograph:

The digital tachograph requires the use of a personalised digi-card that you or your employer obtain from DVLA, Swansea.
In normal use, you’d insert your digi-card in a slot at the bottom of the tacho.
This one is fitted to a bona fide Cat “C” training vehicle, so using the tachograph without the card is perfectly legal.
This vehicle went to a main IVECO dealer to have the necessary adjustments made.

Legal stuff:
A tachograph must be officially calibrated, repaired, sealed and periodically inspected and re-sealed only at an authorised workshop.
The tacho head seals are visible in the second pic, although there are several other seals required.
A tachograph must be fitted to most commercial vehicles that are legally allowed to weigh more than 3,500Kgs when fully loaded.
People undergoing training in a bona-fide training vehicle aren’t normally required to actually use a tachograph.
So, for training purposes, you just use it as a normal speedo.

This is an introduction, rather than an attempt at technicalities, so did I get it right??
Enough or not enough info?? Understandable??

Please post comments below, they do help me for next time. THANK YOU :wink:

Just enough essential info except you missed one. I havent driven a truck with a key in the tacho for about 5 years.

The analogue cassette type which normally gets the response. Ooh look its got a CD player :stuck_out_tongue:

Carry on driver :stuck_out_tongue:

Perfectly understandable and a great introduction I think.

Only thing that I might comment, although others might disagree, perhaps just a few short words on what each of the activities settings are for and times they are used.

Although they are very simple it might just make that familiarisation a little bit quicker when a new driver is faced with them for the first time?

Like I said, others might disagree!

Thanks for putting all this info together.

Alex

The name field must be completed in full, normally surname followed by christian name but I dont believe that is a legal requirement, just preferred that way.

Initials and nicknames are frowned upon as is setting off with Smith John in a morning and returning to base with Smith Jack.
Robert or Bob can also be used as an example :stuck_out_tongue:

Start mileage must be entered
Finish mileage must be entered
Total mileage is optional unless company wants it.

If you start a shift without a truck then the rear of the card must be completed, this also gives you the option to drive 3 different trucks on the same card.

Double manning means you both fill out a card and the first driver uses Driver 1 position. and the 2nd man places his card in Driver 2 underneath the folding cover.

When you change drivers you also swap the cards over.

Is that simple enough Dave?

I will delete my post if you want to add things to yours to keep it simple

Wheel Nut:
Just enough essential info except you missed one. I havent driven a truck with a key in the tacho for about 5 years.

You’re not a newbie Wheel Nut, you and I, both being old gits, remember before the analogue tachos came out, don’t we :question:
I’ve still got a log-book (or 2 :laughing: ) somewhere :sunglasses:

Wheel Nut:
The analogue cassette type which normally gets the response. Ooh look its got a CD player :stuck_out_tongue:

Very true, especially when you pop-out the drawer :laughing: As you said, it is an analogue type, so I didn’t want to clutter the post and bamboozle the guys. Fair enough comment though… :smiley:

Scarab:
Perfectly understandable and a great introduction I think.

Only thing that I might comment, although others might disagree, perhaps just a few short words on what each of the activities settings are for and times they are used.

Although they are very simple it might just make that familiarisation a little bit quicker when a new driver is faced with them for the first time?

Like I said, others might disagree!

Thanks for putting all this info together.

Alex

Thanks for that Alex.
I wouldn’t disagree.
The reason I didn’t include that info is because I felt that it’s a different subject.
Since this is the newbies’ forum, I kept it straightforward and preferred to bust a few of the common myths that guys coming to training schools have.

The straightforward info on drivers’ hours etc, is to be found on the theory test discs, because the theory test is set by the DSA. The DSA LGV theory test doesn’t go ridiculously far into the technicalities of the drivers’ hours regs, so I didn’t want to muddy the waters. My tip for new guys learning drivers’ hours is to self-teach from the discs. Hammering their way through all of the questions leaves nothing to chance on theory test day.

IMHO, there’s enough stuff for the new guy to learn without me confusing them :wink:
A fair comment nevertheless though Alex :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
The name field must be completed in full, normally surname followed by christian name but I dont believe that is a legal requirement, just preferred that way.

IIRC, I remember seeing something written about the order of names to be entered on the centre field, but since Coffeeholic is the undisputed champion on drivers’ hours and WTD, I’ll refrain.
In fact, I’ll go a bit further; I recommend that anybody who wishes to post about drivers’ hours should visit THIS SHOP

Wheel Nut:
Is that simple enough Dave?

I will delete my post if you want to add things to yours to keep it simple

No need to delete anything Wheel Nut, it’s an open forum, so all contributions are gratefully accepted, but I’d be very wary of posting anything that might lead to confusion though… :wink:
Not that your post does :smiley: The reason I didn’t get into drivers’ hours is in my response to Scarab. :smiley:

I love that Clicky :smiley:

Like Deadly Allencoat is the voice of the balls.

Bob Shinel is the voice of reason when it comes to drivers hours.

You have to listen to radio 2 to understand this post :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Am I correct in saying that if you do fill this part in it is an offence if it is inaccurate? (despite the fact that it’s opitional)

Wheel Nut:
I love that Clicky :smiley:

Yes Wheel Nut, being Coffeeholic’ed is far worse than simply being Tangoed :laughing: ( :wink: So I’m told :blush: )

Wheel Nut:
Like Deadly Allencoat is the voice of the balls.

Bob Shinel is the voice of reason when it comes to drivers hours.

You have to listen to radio 2 to understand this post :stuck_out_tongue:

:arrow_right: I couldn’t agree more :exclamation:
:laughing: I told you before, we’re both old gits, now you’ve proved it :exclamation: :laughing:

mrpj:

Wheel Nut:

Am I correct in saying that if you do fill this part in it is an offence if it is inaccurate? (despite the fact that it’s opitional)

Written on a trip-sheet, it’s nothing more than a mistake, but written on a legal document like a tacho chart might well have a different outcome…

Looks like there’ll be a bit of a queue outside Coffeeholic’s study this evening… :laughing:

Can’t remember where I nicked this from but thought it worth posting on this thread

dieseldave:

Wheel Nut:

IIRC, I remember seeing something written about the order of names to be entered on the centre field, but since Coffeeholic is the undisputed champion on drivers’ hours and WTD, I’ll refrain.

Wheel Nut is correct. It is not a legal requirement to enter your name in any particular order however it is recommended to use the surname, first name convention for consistency and to avoid confusion where a person has a name in which both parts could be either surname or first name, John Terry for example could be taken as Terry John or John Terry. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

dieseldave:

Wheel Nut:

Wheel Nut is correct. It is not a legal requirement to enter your name in any particular order however it is recommended to use the surname, first name convention for consistency and to avoid confusion where a person has a name in which both parts could be either surname or first name, John Terry for example could be taken as Terry John or John Terry. :wink: :smiley:

Thanks for that…good job job I put “IIRC” and “I’ll refrain”… :sunglasses: :wink:

Great Thread guys!

The pics and info is really informative Diesel Dave, well done! (Rog’s Pic is also worth a mention)

:smiley:

I have just began to revise for my theroy test next month, upon reading up about Taco’s and the whole working hours system I started to panic, as I didnt really understand them to be honest.

But thanks to info on this thread I feel a lot more confident. Now for everything else I need to learn…

:confused:

Coffeeholic:

dieseldave:

Wheel Nut:

If Coffeholics name had been Nigel his non de plume could have been Bob Shingle as well

sebgsmith:
Great Thread guys!

The pics and info is really informative Diesel Dave, well done! (Rog’s Pic is also worth a mention)

Thanks for that Seb, I agree, ROG’s pic is far better than the one I made, so it’s now in my archive of useful “stuff.” :sunglasses:

sebgsmith:
I have just began to revise for my theroy test next month, upon reading up about Taco’s and the whole working hours system I started to panic, as I didnt really understand them to be honest.

My tip for this is for you to go through the questions one at a time, then write down the “fact” that becomes the correct answer. After you’ve gone through the whole lot, you’ll have a bunch of facts that you can then re-organise into areas like:

I can drive for ■■ hrs/mins, then I must have a break of ■■ mins.
I can drive for a maximum of xxhrs then I must stop.
When I stop, I must have xxhrs of rest. etc.

It might seem a bit long winded, but if you do it this way, you’ll have only the info needed to pass the theory test- and nothing more. After a while, and with some more practice, you’ll notice that you can answer the questions correctly, but please remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day :wink:
I’d suggest that that knowledge then becomes the base upon which you build the rest of the drivers’ hours knowledge after you’ve passed the theory test :wink:

sebgsmith:
But thanks to info on this thread I feel a lot more confident. Now for everything else I need to learn…:confused:

If you take a methodical approach, you’ll discover a method to self-teach, but it does vary from person to person though, so maybe you could adapt my suggestion above to a format that suits you best… :smiley:

If you’re using your own cash, I’d suggest that you don’t start thinking of booking the theory test until you’re scoring pass marks every time you do the mock test, you’ll only pay one test fee that way… :wink:

dieseldave:
[Thanks for that Seb, I agree, ROG’s pic is far better than the one I made, so it’s now in my archive of useful “stuff.” :sunglasses:

Oi - I nicked it first :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have a few tachos now, where do u guys normally save them ? do u take em to each job in case u get stopped etc…also is it ok for me to put a line at the start and finish etc like in the pic ROG put up ?